When to start revising and the best techniques for A Levels??

Watch this thread
username123512
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I just wanted to know at which time is it ideal to start revising for A Levels based on people's experience.
Also what revision method is the most effective. Mindmaps, Note-taking, Flashcards?
Finally are the A Level CGP Books useful by any chance? Are they good at explaining a new topic or a topic that's not that easy to understand at first?
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
It varies depending on what subject you're doing. Which subjects are you taking for A-Level?
username123512
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Grade A)
It varies depending on what subject you're doing. Which subjects are you taking for A-Level?
Maths, Chemistry and Politics with AS in Economics. TBH, I still don't know which one of the politics and Economics I would do at A/AS.
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I just finished AS and got a strong A in Maths and a VERY HIGH B in Chemistry (4% off an A). I shared my revision tips here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0&postcount=32
You may find it helpful! Good luck
Clarinet_478
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hello, I did a level chemistry and I would definitely recommend the cgp revision guides (they are so much better than the AQA textbooks!). I started revising before Christmas in prep for the January mocks and I didn’t really stop after that! I would make your own notes and condense everything down and after that I would do questions (there are some really good websites which organise them by topic). Then once you have done that do the OLD past papers because they are much easier than the new ones but contain the same topics.
student6161
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
From personal experience I wouldn’t set a time to start revising, to do well with minimal stress at A level it’s easier to revise what you’re learning as you go throughout the year.

People tend to say you have to find the revision method that works best for you, but I personally haven’t found one particular method. I do a combination of notes writing, condensing, flash cards, and sticky notes. Once I’ve done using these methods I like to use mind maps to summarise. It’s probably not the most time effective to do numerous methods like I have, but I guess it means I go over everything multiple times in multiple different ways. If I could find one particular method that worked better than the rest then a levels would be much easier!

I didn’t find the cgp books incredibly useful as with my subjects - particularly chemistry - the revision guides seemed to skim over some topics so they didn’t really help my understanding. I’d say they’re useful for memorising certain information (for example flame test colours in chemistry) but not much for in depth knowledge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads