The Student Room Group

How to meet other MALE friends?

I've always hit it off better with girls, because I feel more awkward approaching guys incase you give off the impression you're after more than friends.

I'm straight and just want to meet some guys around my own age with a fresh start since I didn't make any in school.

I have the app 'Meet Up' but there's not much in my area, so I'm not really sure what to do in terms of hobbies, ect
Reply 1
I swear since leaving an all-boys school for uni I've forgotten how to be friends with guys :lol:
Original post by Anonymous
I've always hit it off better with girls, because I feel more awkward approaching guys incase you give off the impression you're after more than friends.

I'm straight and just want to meet some guys around my own age with a fresh start since I didn't make any in school.

I have the app 'Meet Up' but there's not much in my area, so I'm not really sure what to do in terms of hobbies, ect

I was in a similar situation in Sixth Form, I had lad mates, but got on a lot better with the girls imo. It wasn't that they understood me better, it was more down to circumstances and lesson choices (being the only lad in 1, and one of two in another and one of three in my third.) If you get along with girls better, then that's alright, at the end of the day, everyone connects with others better and you shouldn't be judged for your friendships. Unfortunately, I was in a few instances...
Reply 3

I'm presuming you're a girl? Just be nice, make conversation, and be genuinely interested in whatever the boy you wanna be friends with has to say
Reply 4
Original post by Randyyy
I'm presuming you're a girl? Just be nice, make conversation, and be genuinely interested in whatever the boy you wanna be friends with has to say

Nope, a guy!
Reply 5
How old are you? you said you wanna make friends with guys your age but didn't give your age
Are u gay? I dont see why you should "feel more awkward approaching guys incase you give off the impression you're after more than friends."
Reply 7
Original post by nio.m
How old are you? you said you wanna make friends with guys your age but didn't give your age

Original post by Chickchok
Are u gay? I dont see why you should "feel more awkward approaching guys incase you give off the impression you're after more than friends."

Not gay. Though I'll give an example. The other day I was in a shop and a guy said he liked my Deadpool shirt. We talked about Deadpool 2 for a while, and then I gave him my number so we can get a group of us to go see it one day. He never messaged, and I can't help but wonder if it just came off as weird!

Not gay. Though I'll give an example. The other day I was in a shop and a guy said he liked my Deadpool shirt. We talked about Deadpool 2 for a while, and then I gave him my number so we can get a group of us to go see it one day. He never messaged, and I can't help but wonder if it just came off as weird!

I think your a bit socially... off? Its not socially conventional to give your number away so easily like that and arrange to get a group of people to go see a movie together. I think he probably thinks your weird after you did that ngl.
Reply 9
Nope, a guy!

If you're straight why would anyone think you'd want to be more than friends. I also don't see how you find it more awkward with boys.

Girls who only have male friends can't be trusted, guys who only have female friends are also dodgy af
Original post by Chickchok
I think your a bit socially... off? Its not socially conventional to give your number away so easily like that and arrange to get a group of people to go see a movie together. I think he probably thinks your weird after you did that ngl.

Yeah that sounds reasonable. I'm not really sure how else I'd make a friend in that situation though, if we didn't have a way to contact each other? And I assumed by saying a group it would defuse the awkwardness of 'just us'. "Let me add you on Facebook" sounds more weird to me

Original post by Randyyy
If you're straight why would anyone think you'd want to be more than friends. I also don't see how you find it more awkward with boys.

Girls who only have male friends can't be trusted, guys who only have female friends are also dodgy af

Exactly why I want to meet guy mates, but like the story above i'm not sure how without it being weird!

LOL I'm the opposite. I'm a girl and always been less awkward around guys & find it easier to make friends w/ guys. If anything you're more likely to seem you're after the whole "more than friends" when it comes to guy/girl friendships.

However I imagine it's difficult seeing as there's less emotional/caring aspects when it comes to a lot of friendships with guys (sans the few sensitive ones that exist out there)
Original post by kate-Bush
LOL I'm the opposite. I'm a girl and always been less awkward around guys & find it easier to make friends w/ guys. If anything you're more likely to seem you're after the whole "more than friends" when it comes to guy/girl friendships.

However I imagine it's difficult seeing as there's less emotional/caring aspects when it comes to a lot of friendships with guys (sans the few sensitive ones that exist out there)

Interesting! How do you find yourself making friends with guys? Hobbies or all from school?
Interesting! How do you find yourself making friends with guys? Hobbies or all from school?

From school mostly. And idk, I just got talking w/ them and we became friends. It was pretty much accidental, in sixth form most of my female friends had left so was forced to make friends. the guys in my area (south west england) are decent.

it usually helps talking about interests though, especially THEIR interests.
This is a good shout as I'm a relatively fit guy, though I wouldn't know how to bring up the 'go for a drink' or whatever without coming across as odd (which is when i feel it would be easier talking to a woman)

Quick Reply