The Student Room Group

Should I reschedule ukcat?

My mock results have been around 550 consistently (5 days) and I want 670 or above. My exam is in 3 days. Should I delay my ukcat exam date?
Reply 1
It depends what mocks these are:
The official mocks were way harder.
The mocks in any of the books were stupidly innacurate.
The medify mocks were representative and gave me almost the exact score of my real ukcat.
Kaplan tended to be hit and miss for me.
Reply 2
Original post by mnnbv
It depends what mocks these are:
The official mocks were way harder.
The mocks in any of the books were stupidly innacurate.
The medify mocks were representative and gave me almost the exact score of my real ukcat.
Kaplan tended to be hit and miss for me.

medify mock. i got 587.5 in today's 4th mock and exam is in 3 days. are u sure the medify mocks are representative of all sections though? ive heard that the Decision making section and VR are easier on medify.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hannahkji
medify mock. i got 587.5 in today's 4th mock and exam is in 3 days. are u sure the medify mocks are representative of all sections though? ive heard that the Decision making section and VR are easier on medify.

That's true. Some sections on the Medify mocks may not represent the actual standard of the exam.

The amount of confidence you have in your technique will have a huge reflection in the score you obtain. So if you're not ready, we think it is worth it to postpone the exam, as you dont want to ruin your chances of applying this cycle.

Try the triage method.Triage the harder questions and leave them till the end. Use the flags to note where they are in the question stem. Triage will help you utilize your time effectively. Choosing to triage certain questions requires practice itself, so I really recommend you check out the official tests and have a go beforehand.

Also a must do is the official mocks on the UKCAT site.
Make sure you have done the official mock tests on the UKCAT website and be familiar with the timings and calculator functions on their software.

All the best with your UKCAT and application

The Medic Community team
Okay thanks. I’ll do a final mock before deciding to reschedule :smile:
Original post by Medic Community
That's true. Some sections on the Medify mocks may not represent the actual standard of the exam.

The amount of confidence you have in your technique will have a huge reflection in the score you obtain. So if you're not ready, we think it is worth it to postpone the exam, as you dont want to ruin your chances of applying this cycle.

Try the triage method.Triage the harder questions and leave them till the end. Use the flags to note where they are in the question stem. Triage will help you utilize your time effectively. Choosing to triage certain questions requires practice itself, so I really recommend you check out the official tests and have a go beforehand.

Also a must do is the official mocks on the UKCAT site.
Make sure you have done the official mock tests on the UKCAT website and be familiar with the timings and calculator functions on their software.

All the best with your UKCAT and application

The Medic Community team
Original post by haadib011
Okay thanks. I’ll do a final mock before deciding to reschedule :smile:

Hi, how did the mock go?
Reply 6
Hiii I just completed it now. I got 552.5 compared to 557.5 yesterday

VR: 600 compared to 600 previous mock yesterday

DM: 450 compared with 530

QR: 530 compared with 570

AR: 630 compared to 630

SJ: 39/69 compared to 38/69 (band 2)

I seem to be really bad at DM (no practice done) and QR (loadsss of practice done)

I’m scared that if I reschedule my date to the 11th September, I wont be as good at ukcat as I am now because it’s all I’ve been doing for the past 3 weeks
(I’m back to school 5th september)

I don’t know what to do now ... any suggestions?
Hiii I just completed it now. I got 552.5 compared to 557.5 yesterday

VR: 600 compared to 600 previous mock yesterday

DM: 450 compared with 530

QR: 530 compared with 570

AR: 630 compared to 630

SJ: 39/69 compared to 38/69 (band 2)

I seem to be really bad at DM (no practice done) and QR (loadsss of practice done)

I’m scared that if I reschedule my date to the 11th September, I wont be as good at ukcat as I am now because it’s all I’ve been doing for the past 3 weeks
(I’m back to school 5th september)

I don’t know what to do now ... any suggestions?

Hi, I haven’t read all of the thread, but I personally would reschedule if I were you, assuming the mocks you are doing are accurate in difficulty. I rescheduled with my UKCAT to a very late date which I regret doing but a week after school starts shouldn’t be too bad. And do DM practise! Also I’d highly recommend you revise your way of doing QR as you’ve said you’ve done a lot of practice, but it doesn’t seem to be working. Your AR is OK and VR is better than average so I’d focus on QR and DM really, but keep other areas up to practice.
Reply 8
Ahh I definitely will reschedule now. Thank u <3
where are you on the bell curves?
Yesterday they were 3/5 blue and now they’re 2/5 blue

Verbal reasoning I’m 3% below average, AR 1% above, QR 17% below, DM 20% below, SJ 7% below
Original post by haadib011
Yesterday they were 3/5 blue and now they’re 2/5 blue

Verbal reasoning I’m 3% below average, AR 1% above, QR 17% below, DM 20% below, SJ 7% below

yeah you might as well practice for another week or so
Reply 12

I did my real Ukcat on the 31/08/18.
Compared to medify mocks I found that the:
VR had shorter passages but harder questions
DM was exactly the same difficulty
QR was exactly the same difficulty
AR was perhaps as tiny bit easier
SJT a bit harder
However, these differences where honestly so small so I genuinely think they are very accurate representations of the real exam.

Obviously this is a matter of opinion.
I am sure luck also comes into play with what questions I got.
From my experience, the medify mocks gave me representative scores of the real Ukcat.
But for some others I'm sure they got higher or lower scores.

I would delay it for a week and hammer through as much practise as possible.
you're going to great, Good luck.
Reply 13
Original post by mnnbv
I did my real Ukcat on the 31/08/18.
Compared to medify mocks I found that the:
VR had shorter passages but harder questions
DM was exactly the same difficulty
QR was exactly the same difficulty
AR was perhaps as tiny bit easier
SJT a bit harder
However, these differences where honestly so small so I genuinely think they are very accurate representations of the real exam.

Obviously this is a matter of opinion.
I am sure luck also comes into play with what questions I got.
From my experience, the medify mocks gave me representative scores of the real Ukcat.
But for some others I'm sure they got higher or lower scores.

I would delay it for a week and hammer through as much practise as possible.
you're going to great, Good luck.

thank u :redface: i rescheduled

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending