Should I apply for Medicine?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This has been really stressful lately, considering that I have no idea what I truly want to do. Truth be told, I'm only slightly interested in Medicine, not even passionate, and if i was to apply for it, it would be more of a last minute decision sort of thing and because some family members have been pushing it onto me saying the pay is good and it's very respected. I'm leaning slightly more towards Optometry, and I'm not really all for the idea of being a doctor, I think the lifestyle would just destroy me. Should I risk it and apply for Medicine? If I become an Optometrist will I be stuck with the relatively lower pay for the rest of my life or will more opportunities arise?
anonymous1243
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im in the exact same position
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This has been really stressful lately, considering that I have no idea what I truly want to do. Truth be told, I'm only slightly interested in Medicine, not even passionate, and if i was to apply for it, it would be more of a last minute decision sort of thing and because some family members have been pushing it onto me saying the pay is good and it's very respected. I'm leaning slightly more towards Optometry, and I'm not really all for the idea of being a doctor, I think the lifestyle would just destroy me. Should I risk it and apply for Medicine? If I become an Optometrist will I be stuck with the relatively lower pay for the rest of my life or will more opportunities arise?
If you have doubts then Medicine is probably not for you. Have you done any work experience?

One more thing - please don't be pressurised by family members, because you will be bearing the brunt of the work / pressure and not them. Only do it if you wanted to do it.
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Optometry is barely medicine. Pay is low, the job is boring and repetitive, the work isn't very skilled. Do proper medicine, or not at all. Optometrists end up being salesmen.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4216468
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (693)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (391)
19.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.49%

Watched Threads