Pulled over and caught with cannabis... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi everyone, so I'm seriously stressing out right now. My boyfriend hadn't messaged me for hours and he just replied saying he'd been arrested and that he's been in a police station for the past few hours. Long story short, he is a heavy marijuana user and was caught smoking whilst driving by the police so he got pulled over... He was made to do a test and given a caution for the possession of marijuana and had been taken to a police station for further blood tests in which they decide whether he is 'over the limit'.
I'm just seriously freaking out because I've just done my research and according to the NHS's website, marijuana can show up in blood tests from use of up to two months previous and the amount of cannabis in your blood can be determined by the strength and strain of the weed smoked. Well I know for a fact my boyfriend has been buying and smoking some strong cannabis for a while now and according to online, the limit at which cannabis in your blood is no longer considered 'accidental exposure' is anything over 2 milligrams which sounds really little to me and I doubt he will be under that considering he smokes at least a gram a day. In addition, he is also a cocaine user and if he isn't already screwed I'm also afraid that this will show up in his bloods as the accidental exposure rate in your blood for cocaine is 10 milligrams which still isn't a lot.
I'm seriously upset because I have never once discouraged him from doing drugs as I have never felt it is my responsibility but I do feel that I should have now... What will happen to him? He was told he is allowed to drive until he gets his results back in 2-3 weeks but in all seriousness I don't think he will ever pass that test and its really upset me that this has happened. The worst thing is I know this isn't enough to make him realize and tomorrow he will probably continue to do the same. He said if he fails the test he will have a year long driving ban but what will this mean in terms of his licence and his records? Any information or support is greatly appreciated, I'm so worried and I don't know what I will tell my parents now as they both know that he smokes weed and have always worried about him driving under the influence but I have always lied for him...
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
Honestly I don’t think there’s anything you can do about it. I know it feels like there’s something you should do but I dont think there is 😕. I’m sorry. I think he probably knows he won’t pass the test either. Maybe you should ask him how he feels about all this and talk to him about it. He may be upset too but doesn’t show it. He would have known whilst using them that he’s wrong for doing it but did it anyways. He has to suffer from the consequences. I do hope it all turns out okay for you though
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi everyone, so I'm seriously stressing out right now. My boyfriend hadn't messaged me for hours and he just replied saying he'd been arrested and that he's been in a police station for the past few hours. Long story short, he is a heavy marijuana user and was caught smoking whilst driving by the police so he got pulled over... He was made to do a test and given a caution for the possession of marijuana and had been taken to a police station for further blood tests in which they decide whether he is 'over the limit'.
I'm just seriously freaking out because I've just done my research and according to the NHS's website, marijuana can show up in blood tests from use of up to two months previous and the amount of cannabis in your blood can be determined by the strength and strain of the weed smoked. Well I know for a fact my boyfriend has been buying and smoking some strong cannabis for a while now and according to online, the limit at which cannabis in your blood is no longer considered 'accidental exposure' is anything over 2 milligrams which sounds really little to me and I doubt he will be under that considering he smokes at least a gram a day. In addition, he is also a cocaine user and if he isn't already screwed I'm also afraid that this will show up in his bloods as the accidental exposure rate in your blood for cocaine is 10 milligrams which still isn't a lot.
I'm seriously upset because I have never once discouraged him from doing drugs as I have never felt it is my responsibility but I do feel that I should have now... What will happen to him? He was told he is allowed to drive until he gets his results back in 2-3 weeks but in all seriousness I don't think he will ever pass that test and its really upset me that this has happened. The worst thing is I know this isn't enough to make him realize and tomorrow he will probably continue to do the same. He said if he fails the test he will have a year long driving ban but what will this mean in terms of his licence and his records? Any information or support is greatly appreciated, I'm so worried and I don't know what I will tell my parents now as they both know that he smokes weed and have always worried about him driving under the influence but I have always lied for him...
This is the kind of guy which needs to be removed off the roads - good on the police for finding him. His fault really, he can't play the innocent card.

AngryJellyfish can you get this moved to Cars and motoring please.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No your fault If he drives while on drugs, good job by our police force.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There's only a tolerance for accidental exposure as you stated - taking any drugs before or whilst driving is against the law (driving offence, let's not get into the legalities of drugs themselves).

Unlike drinking where you can probably get away with a pint of cider before driving, you can't have a quick spliff. What an idiot.

Hope they throw away the key - does he not realise he could have killed someone by driving an engine propelled ton or two of metal under the influence...
Citronella
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you all for your replies and for moving my thread as I had no idea where to put it. I just want to say that I can completely understand why you all feel strongly negatively and angry towards him for what he has done but at the same time, he is someone I’m in love with and he’s a part of my life and family on a daily basis. What he does with his driving or drugs etc. doesn’t concern me as long as I know I’m not doing it and my parents agree with it too, but I’ve come here because the situation he is now in has stressed me out and upset me significantly as you never want to see this happen to someone you love, even when they are in the wrong. I’m not at all proud or even okay with what he has done, I know the consequences fully and so does he but I just think as an 18 year old boy it is very easy to make stupid decisions like that and it’s also very easy to believe you’re the one whose never going to be caught, but he obviously has. I just want to know what happens from here for him because as IWMTom said, you can’t just get away with a “quick spliff” as you can with a glass of cider, however the police literally caught him smoking weed and still asked him to do a blood test which is what I’m confused about. Any advice and help is appreciated, I do agree with you all and I hate what he’s done but I just want people to understand that this situation is just as horrible for me and it’s something I’m constantly thinking about daily now and I’m just looking for some information. The only positive thing that has come out of this situation is the fact that he is now absolutely petrified of what might happen and is adamant that he won’t drive and smoke again which I didn’t think he’d stick to but I can tell he is extremely worried.
MrCole&Co
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Citronella)
Thank you all for your replies and for moving my thread as I had no idea where to put it. I just want to say that I can completely understand why you all feel strongly negatively and angry towards him for what he has done but at the same time, he is someone I’m in love with and he’s a part of my life and family on a daily basis. What he does with his driving or drugs etc. doesn’t concern me as long as I know I’m not doing it and my parents agree with it too, but I’ve come here because the situation he is now in has stressed me out and upset me significantly as you never want to see this happen to someone you love, even when they are in the wrong. I’m not at all proud or even okay with what he has done, I know the consequences fully and so does he but I just think as an 18 year old boy it is very easy to make stupid decisions like that and it’s also very easy to believe you’re the one whose never going to be caught, but he obviously has. I just want to know what happens from here for him because as IWMTom said, you can’t just get away with a “quick spliff” as you can with a glass of cider, however the police literally caught him smoking weed and still asked him to do a blood test which is what I’m confused about. Any advice and help is appreciated, I do agree with you all and I hate what he’s done but I just want people to understand that this situation is just as horrible for me and it’s something I’m constantly thinking about daily now and I’m just looking for some information. The only positive thing that has come out of this situation is the fact that he is now absolutely petrified of what might happen and is adamant that he won’t drive and smoke again which I didn’t think he’d stick to but I can tell he is extremely worried.

Not anonymous anymore...
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You may find this helpful: https://www.gov.uk/drug-driving-law

As it's a first offence your boyfriend may get a little leniency if he pleads guilty. Though being caught smoking while driving is definitely not going to help his case. I'd say it's probably a good idea for your boyfriend to stop driving immediately, and just wait for the test result and whether he's going to face charges. He's more likely to be shown some leniency in court if he can keep his nose clean for a bit (literally…).

If charges are made then there'll be a court summons, and at that point your boyfriend will be entitled to some legal support. If found guilty he could face prison time, but I think that's unlikely for a first offence. Driving ban is fairly certain though, along with a fine.

While I get that you're worried, the best thing to do for now is simply wait and see what happens. And try and talk some sense into your boyfriend about the seriousness of what he's done.
Pantera Fan Club
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
better then him crashing in a fiery ball of flame, you think?
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Can I just say, you sound like a lovely person - you shouldn't be having to worry about this sort of thing, it's not your fault at all. It's unfair on you.

However, for him, I hope he really learns his lesson and appreciates yourself worrying for him - the silly little boy.

FYI, they probably asked him to do a blood test for proof purposes.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You're seriously confusing the amount taken of cannabis (a gram a day) and micrograms of THC in a litre of blood, the test the police use (which is 2mcg per litre). The micrograms can be many multiples of the amount taken, seen here: http://www.drinkdrivingsolicitor.co....ving/cannabis/. Predicts that after smoking 25mg of THC it would take approximately 7-8 hours to get down to the 2mcg/L limit.

I don't particularly agree with the people lambasting your boyfriend, as if they have an in-depth understanding of the limit which is quite obviously extremely low. Such that having more than 2mcg/L of THC must be dangerous and reckless, threaten the lives of others.
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
good work from the police
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Pantera Fan Club)
better then him crashing in a fiery ball of flame, you think?
lol how many crashes have there seriously been with someone ONLY on weed...:rolleyes:
the beer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
He said if he fails the test he will have a year long driving ban but what will this mean in terms of his licence and his records?
After he's served his ban he'll probably still be required to produce a clean urine sample before getting his licence back, i think a failed test means another 6 month ban. He'll want to give up smoking at least 2 weeks before having to give a sample if he wants to pass.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
matty5690
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm sorry but you're all making out as if he would've killed someone from driving under the influence of cannabis. I'm pretty sure anyone driving stoned would drive 5-10 mph UNDER the speed limit lol
Ian Hume
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
your bf is a f***ing idiot my grandad was killed because of someone who was high on drugs
Citronella
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MrCole&Co)
Not anonymous anymore...
Yes I’m aware, couldn’t figure out how to reply anonymous but doesn’t matter
Citronella
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Dez)
You may find this helpful: https://www.gov.uk/drug-driving-law

As it's a first offence your boyfriend may get a little leniency if he pleads guilty. Though being caught smoking while driving is definitely not going to help his case. I'd say it's probably a good idea for your boyfriend to stop driving immediately, and just wait for the test result and whether he's going to face charges. He's more likely to be shown some leniency in court if he can keep his nose clean for a bit (literally…).

If charges are made then there'll be a court summons, and at that point your boyfriend will be entitled to some legal support. If found guilty he could face prison time, but I think that's unlikely for a first offence. Driving ban is fairly certain though, along with a fine.

While I get that you're worried, the best thing to do for now is simply wait and see what happens. And try and talk some sense into your boyfriend about the seriousness of what he's done.
Thank you so much, your reply was very informative and I’ll definitely try and speak to him and let him know all of this
Citronella
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
You're seriously confusing the amount taken of cannabis (a gram a day) and micrograms of THC in a litre of blood, the test the police use (which is 2mcg per litre). The micrograms can be many multiples of the amount taken, seen here: http://www.drinkdrivingsolicitor.co....ving/cannabis/. Predicts that after smoking 25mg of THC it would take approximately 7-8 hours to get down to the 2mcg/L limit.

I don't particularly agree with the people lambasting your boyfriend, as if they have an in-depth understanding of the limit which is quite obviously extremely low. Such that having more than 2mcg/L of THC must be dangerous and reckless, threaten the lives of others.
Okay thank you for your reply you have also helped to clarify the meaning and purpose of the test he’s had to do. I’m going to ignore anyone who says such things as for one, their replies aren’t answring my question anyway and two, this is quite a controversial topic which I know many feel strongly about but for my own sanity I decided to come here and try to gain information which you have provided me with so thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (138)
18.13%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (130)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.32%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.99%
How can I be the best version of myself? (231)
30.35%

Watched Threads