Train cards and discount help please?

Watch
AngeryGirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Basically I'm starting uni next month and I'm trying to find the best train card to give me a good discount.
I'll be going for 3 years and currently its looking like it's going to cost me £1000+ a year to travel to uni which I'm not exactly stoked about.
I've been looking at train cards and the 16-25 one sounded good until it said "minimum fare of £12" which if I'm understanding correctly means I have to spend £12 to get a discount. But for a return ticket it only costs £7.20 so how on earth would that work?
I have 3 days in uni where I start at 9am on two of the days and 11am on the last all ending at 1pm.
If anyone knows of a good discount I will be forever grateful.
(Also I don't know what topic this should be in)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AngeryGirl)
Basically I'm starting uni next month and I'm trying to find the best train card to give me a good discount.
I'll be going for 3 years and currently its looking like it's going to cost me £1000+ a year to travel to uni which I'm not exactly stoked about.
I've been looking at train cards and the 16-25 one sounded good until it said "minimum fare of £12" which if I'm understanding correctly means I have to spend £12 to get a discount. But for a return ticket it only costs £7.20 so how on earth would that work?
I have 3 days in uni where I start at 9am on two of the days and 11am on the last all ending at 1pm.
If anyone knows of a good discount I will be forever grateful.
(Also I don't know what topic this should be in)

Can I use my 16-25 Railcard at any time of day?
Yes you can. However, for all journeys made between 4.30am and 10am Monday to Friday a minimum fare of £12 is payable. There is no minimum fare when you travel at weekends, on Public Holidays, or during July and August.
If you travel regularly before 10 am, then a weekly or monthly season ticket may be more appropriate, though you won’t be able to get a Railcard discount.

You might also want to look whether 2 singles might be cheaper or as suggested weekly or monthly tickets.

Sometimes they do cards where you cna buy multiple journeys and use them although I think that is rare. best bet is to ask the train company.

The Railcard pays for itself.

Have you checked coach travel?

TBF though its only a fiver a week you are missing out on.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From what I understand, the student railcard only gives you a discount on off-peak tickets so it would be useless for the 9am lectures you have. A standard rail pass may be worth looking at but as you're only in uni 3 days a week, it might not be as beneficial and you could be better off just paying the normal fare.
username1399980
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
From what I understand, the student railcard only gives you a discount on off-peak tickets so it would be useless for the 9am lectures you have. A standard rail pass may be worth looking at but as you're only in uni 3 days a week, it might not be as beneficial and you could be better off just paying the normal fare.
no this is not true

as it says above- you get a discount on all trains but there is a minimum fare of £12 on peak trains

a monthly pass may be the way to go as they have several starts at 9am
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by watchingyouwatch)
no this is not true

as it says above- you get a discount on all trains but there is a minimum fare of £12 on peak trains

a monthly pass may be the way to go as they have several starts at 9am
I see. This was like 7 years ago, though. They must have changed it from no peak tickets at all to saying they have to be over £12.
abdillahifarah90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can i use a 16-25 railcard for the london underground eg tubes?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Can I use my 16-25 Railcard at any time of day?
Yes you can. However, for all journeys made between 4.30am and 10am Monday to Friday a minimum fare of £12 is payable. There is no minimum fare when you travel at weekends, on Public Holidays, or during July and August.
If you travel regularly before 10 am, then a weekly or monthly season ticket may be more appropriate, though you won’t be able to get a Railcard discount.

You might also want to look whether 2 singles might be cheaper or as suggested weekly or monthly tickets.

Sometimes they do cards where you cna buy multiple journeys and use them although I think that is rare. best bet is to ask the train company.

The Railcard pays for itself.

Have you checked coach travel?

TBF though its only a fiver a week you are missing out on.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by abdillahifarah90)
Can i use a 16-25 railcard for the london underground eg tubes?
yes for offpeak and if you add it to your oyster card.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...e-dlr-lo-fares
abdillahifarah90
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
yes for offpeak and if you add it to your oyster card.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...e-dlr-lo-fares
So it wont give you a discount when its peak times??
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No it won't.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
Lol it does the 16-25 rail card does give you a discount ON PEAK TIMES too. I travel to London for uni and have been using my 16-25 railcard for nearly too years.

It works for both on peak and off peak.
abdillahifarah90
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Lol it does the 16-25 rail card does give you a discount ON PEAK TIMES too. I travel to London for uni and have been using my 16-25 railcard for nearly too years.

It works for both on peak and off peak.
ok thank you. Also how much will it save you and would it be better to get the 16-25 railcard rather than the travel card?
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Thats what off peak discount means.
Just read the link.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
ok thank you. Also how much will it save you and would it be better to get the 16-25 railcard rather than the travel card?
I travel on peak times and gives a discount of around £10 with the 16-25 card it costs £22/23 whereas without the card it would cost around £34. Also depends on your location, I live outskirts of London so it may be cheaper for you if you live near London
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
And you can also add the 16-25 on your Oyster card (just go to a shop or something and they'll add it in for you)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads