The Student Room Group

has anyone ever 'got back into' reading

lol if thats yoooou, how? (:

Scroll to see replies

Usually finding a really good book or series is the easiest way. It'll make you want the keep reading.

For a more forceful approach: sit down, crack open a book, and tell yourself you won't stop until X amount of time has passed or you've read Y number of pages. Repeat frequently and it eventually becomes habit.
yeah. just went to the library and borrowed a few books and started reading again:lol:
Recently.

I had a 2 hostpial appointments with an hour in a boring waiting room between them, I couldn’t go and get a coffee due to the nature of the second one. My phone was low on data and has a Shiite battery, so I took a book with me.
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't really get back into it. If I find a good book I'll read it and search more books in that genre. If I read a bad book then it sometimes puts me off of reading in general. I'm not very consistent.

You honestly just have to find a genre that you like and the only way to do that is forcing yourself to pick up books you wouldn't usually pick up.
Same. Yesterday, spent 7 hours in A&E at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. Always carry my Kindle with me and currently reading ‘CHAVS’. By Owen Jones. Great read.
That is totally me - I would read like 3 books a week from as soon as I could to read independently to about 14 years old and then school, homework and exams started to catch up with me and I stopped reading for fun for like 2 years. Just start re-reading a favourite book series you already know that you love and watch a couple of booktube videos (my personal favourite is polandbananasbooks).
I've always loved reading ever since I was a kid. I got into classics when I first read 'David Copperfield' when I was 10.
Omg this literally happened to me this summer. My a level subject requires heavy reading and the literature is on a different level. The amazing storylines and strong characters makes me question why I ever stopped reading books.
Funnily I only got into reading after my wireless router broke for a week leaving me with no internet!

I was so bored without the internet, I picked up a book (Hunger Games) and read it cover to cover in a couple days. Been reading a little before bed most nights ever since :biggrin:

Currently reading The Chronicles of Narnia, on Voyage of the Dawn Treader atm.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by billie mercury
I don't really get back into it. If I find a good book I'll read it and search more books in that genre. If I read a bad book then it sometimes puts me off of reading in general. I'm not very consistent.

You honestly just have to find a genre that you like and the only way to do that is forcing yourself to pick up books you wouldn't usually pick up.

ITs weird cos i dont think i ever had a 'genre' per say. I mean i read loads online now but its all wiki/online academic stuff im interested in relating topolitics the portholes you just keep clicking into/news.

I liked malarie blackman, but i guess i was yr5 and that cherub series ?
/micheal morpurgo on audiobook
maybe ill check these out again haaha
Original post by CTLeafez
Funnily I only got into reading after my wireless router broke for a week leaving me with no internet!

I was so bored without the internet, I picked up a book (Hunger Games) and read it cover to cover in a couple days. Been reading a little before bed most nights ever since :biggrin:

Currently reading The Chronicles of Narnia, on Voyage of the Dawn Treader atm.

is it good????
just try and make time for it or or switch off your devices and pick up something.

read like a really popular book that gets you back into the flow or some of your old faves

i used to regularly use a wattpad account and now all the books are trash still i like to find free reads online. like i don't know if people still use fictionpress but there were books on there i used to enjoy reading when i had free time.
Original post by Constantine2018
I've always loved reading ever since I was a kid. I got into classics when I first read 'David Copperfield' when I was 10.

i struggled with reading a lot when i was small cos of my undiagnosed dyslexia, i just stopped one day cos i was so frustrated lmao

i think i had these free audiobooks from this dyslexia help library in kent or something tho, and i loved them

its weird, I LOVE STORIES but the paper bit is difficult hahaahahah
Original post by Seamus123
Same. Yesterday, spent 7 hours in A&E at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. Always carry my Kindle with me and currently reading ‘CHAVS’. By Owen Jones. Great read.

googled it, looks good, might have to check it out ::smile:
Original post by miniminx3310
is it good????

Chronicles of Narnia?

Yeahhh! There's little details which aren't covered in the books and the movies only go up to the 3rd book out of SEVEN.

The non-reading folk don't know about the time Aslan appeared IRL and beat up some students for being bullies at 'Experiment School'! :biggrin:

Or the actual origins of how the wardrobe acts as a gateway to Narnia and ended up in the Professor's manor house.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
i got a kindle 2 years ago and read about 30 books since then. its the % and time left that motivates me. sad part is that between ages of 14 and 19 didnt read a single book for pleasure
Yes I did and then read 7 books on a 2 week holiday. Including one for my English a level bahaaa studied it last year without reading. “The Drop” Micheal Conolloy got me back in ( it’s an American police book ) but girl with the dragon tattoo is incred
Yea,

When I was younger, I would never be anywhere without a book. English is not my first language, but in primary 3 (aged 9 or 10 I think?) I was already reading books like Sherlock Holmes (the actual thickass brick one), Time Traveller's Wife (very inappropriate for that age) and Dan Brown books. And many more, including the famous Geronimo Stilton series, Fairy Magic (of course), Warrior Cats, just to name a few CLASSY choices.

I guess I never stopped liking reading, but when I went abroad for study, I found that I didn't read. This was mainly because there weren't really any books around me. But when I came back home for the holidays, I found myself reading again as I was surrounded by books in the house.
Original post by miniminx3310
ITs weird cos i dont think i ever had a 'genre' per say. I mean i read loads online now but its all wiki/online academic stuff im interested in relating topolitics the portholes you just keep clicking into/news.

I liked malarie blackman, but i guess i was yr5 and that cherub series ?
/micheal morpurgo on audiobook
maybe ill check these out again haaha

Oh yeah I used to really like Malorie Blackman. I really liked The Stuff of Nightmares because it was just a bunch of shorter stories that all ended up being part of a bigger story. You might like that idk give it a try. Boys Don't Cry is another one that kept me hooked. Noble Conflict was kinda meh though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending