Grammar vs State Watch

Year10Studentt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have a big predicament and I’m unsure which path I should take for Sixth-Form. I have enrolled to two schools, one a grammar school and one a state school.

I really wanted to take Mathematics and my state school has accepted me to take this subject as I was only 3 marks off a 7. The Grammar School will not let me take Mathematics because their requirements are fixed, but they’ve allowed me to take another subject I love, Literature.

So I have enrolled at my state school with the subjects: History, Mathematics and Politics and the Grammar School with the subjects: History, Literature and Politics.

I feel at home within my state school but feel the Grammar School will give me better opportunities for my future and provide me with a better education than my current school at the minute, considering the teaching quality isn’t viewed as perfect.

I have so many friends staying at the state school and very few attending the new Grammar School and I’d be sad to leave them, but what should I put first: the social aspect or the educational aspect. Please help.
001tora001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Put education first. If you can be sure that you'd be able to make some friends or be happy with the few that are going to grammar, then go for the grammar. It's only two years of your life and you're going to have to work hard in those two years so in doing so staying academically focused. But this is coming from a year 11 going into year 12 so maybe this advice isn't exactly the best 😅
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Year10Studentt)
I have a big predicament and I’m unsure which path I should take for Sixth-Form. I have enrolled to two schools, one a grammar school and one a state school.
Grammar schools ARE state schools - do you mean a comprehensive?
Year10Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Grammar schools ARE state schools - do you mean a comprehensive?
Yes, sorry.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes, sorry.
It depends how important it is for you to study maths A level. If it isn't that important then I'd choose the Grammar school.
ben789
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well what do you want to study at university?
Year10Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by ben789)
Well what do you want to study at university?
I’m not fully sure either: PPE, Politcs or History.
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’m not fully sure either: PPE, Politcs or History.
Then I would suggest grammar school. You don't need maths for PPE. Besides, I might come across as biased but grammar schools do have better standards in teaching and there are more opportunities (again this is my experience so it might be different for you).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (106)
17.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (64)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.56%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.76%

Watched Threads