The Student Room Group

Ipad 2018 for uni economics

Will an ipad 2018 with apple pencil be enough for making notes, drawing diagrams etc ? I'm guessing a course like economics doesn't require sophisticated programs so I think an ipad would be enough for making notes, web browsing, reading books etc but i'm not too sure. Will i end up using big programs in economics or is Microsoft word the biggest it gets? I have an old laptop at home so I can type essays on that so do i really need a new laptop? And will i need to take the laptop in to lectures?
Original post by smhn
Will an ipad 2018 with apple pencil be enough for making notes, drawing diagrams etc ? I'm guessing a course like economics doesn't require sophisticated programs so I think an ipad would be enough for making notes, web browsing, reading books etc but i'm not too sure. Will i end up using big programs in economics or is Microsoft word the biggest it gets? I have an old laptop at home so I can type essays on that so do i really need a new laptop? And will i need to take the laptop in to lectures?

It should be fine for note taking etc.

Personally, I always prefer a laptop/desktop when typing essays etc, but a lot of people function just fine with a tablet + tablet keyboard
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
It should be fine for note taking etc.

Personally, I always prefer a laptop/desktop when typing essays etc, but a lot of people function just fine with a tablet + tablet keyboard

Yh i know what you mean. That's why i'll be using my laptop at home for essays
I’m also studying economics and I have an iPad 2018 with the Apple Pencil. As a visual learner, it makes drawing colorful graphs and writing notes for quantitative courses much easier. I use the Notability app, which also helps me stay organized. I do all my readings on it and annotate directly on the document. It’s so nice not having to worry about loose papers, or forgetting a notebook, etc. I recommend!
Reply 4
Original post by zandraaaa
I’m also studying economics and I have an iPad 2018 with the Apple Pencil. As a visual learner, it makes drawing colorful graphs and writing notes for quantitative courses much easier. I use the Notability app, which also helps me stay organized. I do all my readings on it and annotate directly on the document. It’s so nice not having to worry about loose papers, or forgetting a notebook, etc. I recommend!

Would you recommend the 32 or 128gb one? And do you rely on the ipad alone or do you have a laptop/desktop too?
Original post by smhn
Would you recommend the 32 or 128gb one? And do you rely on the ipad alone or do you have a laptop/desktop too?

I have the 32 GB and then I pay 0.99/month for 50GB if iCloud storage, which is more than enough for me! I also have a MacBook that I do my programming assignments and essays on, but I usually leave that back at home and just use my iPad in class.
Reply 6
Original post by zandraaaa
I have the 32 GB and then I pay 0.99/month for 50GB if iCloud storage, which is more than enough for me! I also have a MacBook that I do my programming assignments and essays on, but I usually leave that back at home and just use my iPad in class.

Also is there use of sophisticated programs during the course or is Microsoft word as far as it gets?

Quick Reply

Latest