Brave new world (of year 11) GYG Watch

Poll: What would you like to see?
An overview of year 10 (2)
20%
An about me/ fun facts (6)
60%
What stationery I'm using for year 11 (2)
20%
This discussion is closed.
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
awesome!!
username3095760
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eleanoric)
About Me

I thought I'd do a little 'about me' before term began.
Instead of properly formatting this or thinking of intelligent/relevant information about myself, I am throwing together a list of random facts about yours truly

1. TV shows I love include 'Merlin' 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'The IT crowd'
2. My favourite colour is green
3. I am terrified of reptiles
4. I absolutely detest mint
5. Listening to velcro makes me shiver (it's like nails on a chalk board for me)
6. I have green eyes
7. I love Pride and Prejudice (even though it's not my favourite book nor film)
8. I don't eat diary
9. I am obsessed with quiz shows
10. I can often be overly cynical/have a hard time 'letting go'

There we go - 10 random facts! Not GYG related, or even academic at all for that matter but I thought I'd do a 'fun' post to start things off. Comment how you're feeling about the next year, or a random fact, or anything really!
I have shamelessly tagged some year 11 GYGs which I'll be following this year (if any of you would like to be taken off my tags list please just say)
OMD YOU LIKE MERLIN...??? SAMEEEE:woo:!! The show aired so long ago that it's so hard to find a fellow fan !! I'm also terrified of reptilies, especially snakes...:teehee:

Please tag me- also going into year 11 (tomorrow!:afraid:)
eleanoric
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by bowl-of-rice)
OMD YOU LIKE MERLIN...??? SAMEEEE:woo:!! The show aired so long ago that it's so hard to find a fellow fan !! I'm also terrified of reptilies, especially snakes...:teehee:

Please tag me- also going into year 11 (tomorrow!:afraid:)
ANOTHER MERLIN FAN! Lots of people talk about how they liked the show as a kid but I just want to go on about the themes of predjudice and bravery and loyalty and acceptance and just all the other wonderful things about it to like as someone older (not to mention the wonderful Arthur Merlin dynamic!) definitely will add you to my tags!

Good luck for tomorrow
eleanoric
Rep:
?
Last day of Summer!

Thought I'd do an update about the last day of the holidays (last day of freedom)
So far today I've had a last minute town trip to buy school shoes, thats how prepared I am...
Did a little bit of biology, but mostly have been reading and trying to mentally prepare myself for tomorrow

Currently indulging in my favourite back to school (day before any term) tradition - Legally Blonde the Musical. I watch it before every term and it just reminds me that I should just try my best with the opportunities I have and just to kick-ass, not to mention the absolute bangers of songs!

Also about to paint my nails, don't know why but wearing nail polish makes me feel like such a boss, so put together and organised. As if by having my nails together I have my life together?? (If only that were true )
Picked up a new shade in town for year 11 - ladylike by Essie, I think it's giving the vibe I want for this year; put together, organised and a bit fun too! I cant believe I'm trying to mould my personality to a nail polish but alas - I need all the motivation I can get, and if that comes from musicals and nail polishes then so be it. Where do you guys find your motivation?

Whilst thats playing, (I've seen it so many times I no longer need to watch ) I'll tidy my room and pack my bag. Aiming to be organised this year, or first the first day at any stretch!

Overall, feeling a bit stressed, bit anxious and a bit excited too! Already had an email about my extra curricular clashing (being a year 7 mentor and a school trip) so thats a bit worrisome but I'm trying to sort it out. Anyways, just trying to chill out and not think too hard about tomorrow or this year in general (not sure how the head in the sand technique will turn out, but I would not recommend it.)
Year 11 here I come!

Good luck to everyone starting school
P.S Who's excited for Bake Off tonight? (I am!!)
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Last day of Summer!

Thought I'd do an update about the last day of the holidays (last day of freedom)
So far today I've had a last minute town trip to buy school shoes, thats how prepared I am...
Did a little bit of biology, but mostly have been reading and trying to mentally prepare myself for tomorrow

Currently indulging in my favourite back to school (day before any term) tradition - Legally Blonde the Musical. I watch it before every term and it just reminds me that I should just try my best with the opportunities I have and just to kick-ass, not to mention the absolute bangers of songs!

Also about to paint my nails, don't know why but wearing nail polish makes me feel like such a boss, so put together and organised. As if by having my nails together I have my life together?? (If only that were true )
Picked up a new shade in town for year 11 - ladylike by Essie, I think it's giving the vibe I want for this year; put together, organised and a bit fun too! I cant believe I'm trying to mould my personality to a nail polish but alas - I need all the motivation I can get, and if that comes from musicals and nail polishes then so be it. Where do you guys find your motivation?

Whilst thats playing, (I've seen it so many times I no longer need to watch ) I'll tidy my room and pack my bag. Aiming to be organised this year, or first the first day at any stretch!

Overall, feeling a bit stressed, bit anxious and a bit excited too! Already had an email about my extra curricular clashing (being a year 7 mentor and a school trip) so thats a bit worrisome but I'm trying to sort it out. Anyways, just trying to chill out and not think too hard about tomorrow or this year in general (not sure how the head in the sand technique will turn out, but I would not recommend it.)
Year 11 here I come!

Good luck to everyone starting school
P.S Who's excited for Bake Off tonight? (I am!!)
Same! Literally same 😂 I got my new school shoes but apparently they’re none left in my size so I’ve ordered it and it should come a few days after school starts so meh 🤷🏾*♀️. Also painted my
nairs, but just did top coat as my school doesn’t allow colour 😳. And yes, defo good to have a back to school ritual 😂. Hopefully I’ll get to watch Bake Off tonight if I’m not doing any back to school preparation lol.
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haha I had to get a school blazer today :lol:
Bake off! :cake:
eleanoric
Rep:
?
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Same! Literally same 😂 I got my new school shoes but apparently they’re none left in my size so I’ve ordered it and it should come a few days after school starts so meh 🤷🏾*♀️. Also painted my
nairs, but just did top coat as my school doesn’t allow colour 😳. And yes, defo good to have a back to school ritual 😂. Hopefully I’ll get to watch Bake Off tonight if I’m not doing any back to school preparation lol.
My school is generally okay as long as it's not some completely outlandish colour. I've made a rule for myself, get everything done before bakeoff so that I can relax (though bake off can be quite high stress at time ngl 😂)
username3095760
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ANOTHER MERLIN FAN! Lots of people talk about how they liked the show as a kid but I just want to go on about the themes of predjudice and bravery and loyalty and acceptance and just all the other wonderful things about it to like as someone older (not to mention the wonderful Arthur Merlin dynamic!) definitely will add you to my tags!

Good luck for tomorrow
Yahhhh:woo:!! Merlin was by one of the best shows ever aired. I was so gutted when it came to an end! OMD don't even get me started on arthur and merlin:love:. Also the guy who played arthur...?? Bradley is literally perfection!!
s.m999
Badges: 16
Report 1 year ago
oh god this holiday has gone wayyy too quick!

loool i get that feeling, whenever I listen to the winner takes it all I feel like an absolute fuc*ing boss!

ooh reminds me, i've GOT to finish my book before school starts because, oh god it pains me to say it but the only book i'll be picking up is an inspector calls and macbeth :boring::bawling:
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My school is generally okay as long as it's not some completely outlandish colour. I've made a rule for myself, get everything done before bakeoff so that I can relax (though bake off can be quite high stress at time ngl 😂)
I think I’m gonna have to miss Bake Off, I’ve got a lot to do to prepare for tomorrow so nah have to watch on catch up lol 😂
Bomby23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've got one more day but like 2 tests straight when we get back and it's annoying the hell out of me
saffaasif12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Attachment 771524

Hi everyone
I'm El and this is going to be my GYG for year 11

I'd ideally like to get all 8s and 9s; However I'm trying to not get too fixated on the idea as a 7 might be on the horizon, not naming names but.... GERMAN.

Confession time - I had a GYG last year which I heartlessly abandoned a few weeks in, so I'm back again this year to try (hopefully with more success) to document my year 11 experience
I'm going to try and update this once a week and to include all sorts of fun stuff.

My Year 10 Exam Grades (and my subjects)
Spoiler:
Show

English Lit: 9
English Lang: 9
Maths: 9
Further Maths: A
Chemistry: 8
Biology: 8
Physics: 9
History: 9
Geography: 7 (Evident I winged this one)
German: 7
Art: 8

:crossedf: The Grades I'd like :crossedf:
Spoiler:
Show

English Lit: 9
English Lang: 9
Maths: 9
Further Maths: A
Chemistry: 8
Biology: 9
Physics: 9
History: 9
Geography: 8
German: 8
Art: 8

My Other Goals for this Year
Spoiler:
Show

Get Fit - always say I'm going to do this but I never do. :doh:When/If I go to the gym I don't properly challenge/always do light cardio so my fitness never improves (until now mwahahhaha)
Join School Council - I wanted to do this last year but it clashed with a sports club (which I now no longer attend) so I'd really like to try and get elected, I've never done it before but I enjoy public speaking and debating so I thing this could be good!
Eat better LUNCH - oddly specific I know, last year I swapped between a chicken korma and popcorn chicken with a baguette (both with a packet of crisps) and as someone with IBS I tend to avoid lots of food, meaning that when I get into the hectic term time I just gravitate towards two easy options rather than whats good for me!

My results (even writing this in August 2018 scares me a little)
Spoiler:
Show

None yet! :shy2:

Tagged - Now I'm quite new to TSR so I'm a little new to tagging, if you'd like to be tagged in my updates please say so and then I can add you, If you want to be untagged also just say
Spoiler:
Show

Razzberries

Anyone else with a GYG feel free to tag me, especially if you're also in Y11!

OK NUMBER ONE, WHAT THE HELL? I WANT YOUR GRADES
and number two, i'm in year 11 too and starting my own gyg so yes tag me please xo
eleanoric
Rep:
?
Taking a step back from GYG

Okay so I finished a week of school but didn't update my GYG, here's why.

(Get ready for some uncomfortably honest explanation)

I'm at the point where I can't even look at the student room app on my phone without feeling worried.
My anxiety has sky rocketed this past week to the point where I'm nearly vomiting just thinking about schoolwork, and GYG isn't helping.
This competition is a good method of motivation for many people but I don't think it's for me. I've found myself comparing my grades and my study methods to other people on this site (all wonderful people, this is no shade to them) and have been putting unhealthy and unhelpful pressure on myself which has turned out more inhibiting than productive. As my school is already quite academically pressured I feel I can hopefully find other motivation and as a very competitive person I think constantly comparing my habits to others will result in me wearing myself out and becoming very anxious. For these reasons, I feel taking a step back from GYG is whats best for me.

I know y'all are probably like 'it's been a week how do you know it's GYG making you nervous??' and to that I say, it's probably a mixture of lots of things but I honestly tried to update on my first day and found I couldn't bring myself to open notifications from others as I felt like I wasn't doing enough or having a good enough day or an interesting enough day or being productive enough. Ideally I would like to remove as many stress factors from my life as realistically possible, and if this is one of them then so be it.

As someone who has seriously struggled with mental health in the past I really want to try and keep that afloat this year - and prioritise that over my productivity/grades.That isn't to say I won't still be trying to achieve my goal of 8s and 9s it's just that I don't feel this is the right method for me to motivate myself.

Who knows, I might end up updating this summer 2019 with myself results, or maybe with mocks, maybe before then? But definitely not the previously promised weekly update, or monthly and definitely not daily updates.
Again this isn't directed to anyone on this site or their blogs and I don't want anyone to feel bad at all. I just think a GYG is more harm that good for me.

So in conclusion, this GYG is on halt - at the moment indefinitely. I will be keeping my original tags list should I ever return from the grave! I probably won't be responding/active on others accounts/posts either as as I said earlier - the site isn't conducive to my mental we'll being.

Thanks to all the lovely messages people have posted on this blog, and to all the incredible people I've interacted with - some of you have been so welcoming it's unreal!

(probably unnecessary but although I may have a look at replies once or twice in the coming weekend, don't expect me to be very active at responding.)

- El
troubletracking
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I did my GCSEs last year, and I know you've heard it time and time again, but your GCSEs are pretty much just to get you into sixth form/college/ your next step. Once you've got them, no one really cares. They don't look at you funny in the street if you failed French and you feel like everyone knows even though you haven't told anyone, the teachers at sixth form/college any differently, your friends don't suddenly not want to talk to you because you missed your target grades. They're just to get you into wherever you want to go next, and I know you won't believe me when I tell you and you'll roll your eyes and think "they just don't understand" because that was me a year ago, and I get you because sometimes you only realise some things when they're in retrospect. But do hear me out when I say that your future is not fixed by those numbers on a piece of paper, but your future can be negatively impacted if you absolutely run yourself into the ground this year.
Always, always, always put your mental health first. Don't get to results day and look at those numbers and think how they add up to the percentage of yourself you've lost this year. If that means not stepping foot on TSR again, then do it, and I think you've made a great decision choosing to put yourself first. For some, this environment can be motivating, as you said, but for others, it's more demotivating than motivating and I found myself not posting on my own gyg much either as exams approached.
I know it's unlikely that you'll read this or respond, but your attitude so far is great, and putting yourself before everything else is the key to surviving year eleven, especially when you're fighting other battles as well. I wish you the very best of luck because I know you can achieve the grades you want (your mock grades are fantastic well done!!), and I hope, above all, you come out of year eleven proud of yourself. It'll be a hard year, but I also found it a lot of fun, and once you've done those exams, you've got that long summer to do whatever you want, and go wherever you want the following September
You're going to be absolutely fine
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Taking a step back from GYG

Okay so I finished a week of school but didn't update my GYG, here's why.

(Get ready for some uncomfortably honest explanation)

I'm at the point where I can't even look at the student room app on my phone without feeling worried.
My anxiety has sky rocketed this past week to the point where I'm nearly vomiting just thinking about schoolwork, and GYG isn't helping.
This competition is a good method of motivation for many people but I don't think it's for me. I've found myself comparing my grades and my study methods to other people on this site (all wonderful people, this is no shade to them) and have been putting unhealthy and unhelpful pressure on myself which has turned out more inhibiting than productive. As my school is already quite academically pressured I feel I can hopefully find other motivation and as a very competitive person I think constantly comparing my habits to others will result in me wearing myself out and becoming very anxious. For these reasons, I feel taking a step back from GYG is whats best for me.

I know y'all are probably like 'it's been a week how do you know it's GYG making you nervous??' and to that I say, it's probably a mixture of lots of things but I honestly tried to update on my first day and found I couldn't bring myself to open notifications from others as I felt like I wasn't doing enough or having a good enough day or an interesting enough day or being productive enough. Ideally I would like to remove as many stress factors from my life as realistically possible, and if this is one of them then so be it.

As someone who has seriously struggled with mental health in the past I really want to try and keep that afloat this year - and prioritise that over my productivity/grades. That isn't to say I won't still be trying to achieve my goal of 8s and 9s it's just that I don't feel this is the right method for me to motivate myself.

Who knows, I might end up updating this summer 2019 with myself results, or maybe with mocks, maybe before then? But definitely not the previously promised weekly update, or monthly and definitely not daily updates.
Again this isn't directed to anyone on this site or their blogs and I don't want anyone to feel bad at all. I just think a GYG is more harm that good for me.

So in conclusion, this GYG is on halt - at the moment indefinitely. I will be keeping my original tags list should I ever return from the grave! I probably won't be responding/active on others accounts/posts either as as I said earlier - the site isn't conducive to my mental we'll being.

Thanks to all the lovely messages people have posted on this blog, and to all the incredible people I've interacted with - some of you have been so welcoming it's unreal!

(probably unnecessary but although I may have a look at replies once or twice in the coming weekend, don't expect me to be very active at responding.)

- El
We totally understand! Take as much time as you need, us pixels can wait 😉. x
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:jumphug: sending you all the hugs
well done for putting your mh first :yep:
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely look after your mental health:yep:
:grouphugs: I’m sure you’ll do brilliantly regardless of the gyg and if you ever need to talk about stress etc I’m here
clarevictoriaa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We totally understand, and as long as you are putting yourself first and looking after you and your mental health then thats nothing to feel bad about. I wish you luck for your GCSE's and should you return and post I'll be straight back here
barrysingh101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What's your thoughts on all this DEMA business..? Oooh , I love fall away ,especially love the piano playing in the background. I was just listening to it this morning. But my all time favourite is screen ((:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (83)
18.65%
Labour (185)
41.57%
Liberal Democrats (91)
20.45%
Green Party (33)
7.42%
Brexit Party (15)
3.37%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.35%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.12%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)