The Student Room Group

Should I study medicine?

I’m completely undecided on what to study at uni. My options are medicine or physiotherapy. I’ve tried to weigh up the pros and cons of each but it hasn’t got me any closer to a decision.

I don’t want to choose one and regret it.

I’ve heard people say before that if you’re unsure whether to do medicine then the career isn’t for you. Should I listen to this? Should I be dead set on a career in medicine to be able to study it?

I’ve done the Ukcat and done poorly (average 635) which limits my options. However I have A level predictions of A*A*A so I’ve been told I’m too intelligent to do physiotherapy and it would be a waste, when I’m capable of medicine.

Medicine also obviously involves many years of training so I don’t want to get into the degree and then decide it’s not right for me.

My doubts about medicine is the unsociable hours and hard workload, leading to a poor work-life balance in many cases. I’m also thinking that if I decide medicine I’m volunteering myself to do much extra stress both in the degree and in the career long term.
Reply 1
it sounds like you not comfortable with doing medicine
it's, you would like to do it but...
I don't know much about those, but all I can say is
what you feel comfortable with is what you should do.
If you do obtain the predicted grades you mentioned there are many other courses at top universities which will suit your academic ability which may suit your lifestyle more. It is quite true you have to quite intent on going into medicine as it requires a lot of dedication which from the attitude you had on the matter, it will probably not suit you so much, but hey, do some more research on what a medicine career has in store for you and to see if you will enjoy/be able to handle it.
Original post by sophieh_234
I’m completely undecided on what to study at uni. My options are medicine or physiotherapy. I’ve tried to weigh up the pros and cons of each but it hasn’t got me any closer to a decision.

I don’t want to choose one and regret it.

I’ve heard people say before that if you’re unsure whether to do medicine then the career isn’t for you. Should I listen to this? Should I be dead set on a career in medicine to be able to study it?

I’ve done the Ukcat and done poorly (average 635) which limits my options. However I have A level predictions of A*A*A so I’ve been told I’m too intelligent to do physiotherapy and it would be a waste, when I’m capable of medicine.

Medicine also obviously involves many years of training so I don’t want to get into the degree and then decide it’s not right for me.

My doubts about medicine is the unsociable hours and hard workload, leading to a poor work-life balance in many cases. I’m also thinking that if I decide medicine I’m volunteering myself to do much extra stress both in the degree and in the career long term.

Deciding to pursue medicine is indeed a hard decision. You really have to reflect and ask yourself "why do you want to become a doctor"? Is it because you want to help people? Well so can other healthcare professionals such as nursing and so on. Just remember that you and your story are 100% original. What I mean is really ask yourself what is it in the medical profession that inspires you or makes you want to change something?

Don't think about the long hours and long road to become a fully qualified doctor. I personally know of friends who decide to do pharmacy or nursing and then a few years after starting their jobs realize that they made a huge mistake and they end up applying for medicine at a much later age.

And plus with your UKCAT and exam grades, there are plenty of schools which you stand a chance for interview.

A good way is to arrange shadow opportunities with GPs, and in different hospital settings. This will allow you to see what actually goes on. Never listen to what people say. At the end of the day it is your life and your decision to become a doctor. Don't let what people say about the profession bring you down. After shadowing and further reflection on your shadowing experience, if you decide that medicine is something that interests you, then dont get sidetracked and really focus on getting the grades to get into medical school.

When I was initially applying to medicine in 2014, I listened to a lot of people and didn't really think for myself. The same was said that medicine is a long road and the stress is not worth it. So I did biomedical sciences in the UK, and during my degree I was exposed to clinical research and was really interested with the whole concept of medicine. Now I am a 2nd year medical student in the United States and even though the road has been long I completely do not regret the decision to pursue medicine, and frankly would not trade this opportunity for anything.

Regarding work life balance, medicine is similar to any other job. There will be rough days and good days. But if you can commit to managing your time well and have clear priorities of what you want to achieve then, you will be able to go to parties, have a social life, start a family etc. It is all completely up to you. Also if medicine is something that you genuinely want to do then working as a doctor doesn't become stressful and you begin to enjoy the job.

All the best,
The Medic Community

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending