Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was recently doing bio,Chem,physics and maths AS level over the last year. I planned on doing aerospace engineering towards the end of last year but discovered that unis want further maths as an a level in preference. In year 13 should I pick up further maths for an AS or maybe a full a level or will it be too much work? I'm dropping bio regardless.

ReputationRep:
    It will be a lot of hard work to do an AS in the time period let alone a whole A Level. You have to do core pure and two options for the AS. And 2 core pures and 2 options for the A Level (this is from experience of Edexcel). Drop Bio, do the AS in further maths but be realistic. Only choose options you like for further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicProspective)
    It will be a lot of hard work to do an AS in the time period let alone a whole A Level. You have to do core pure and two options for the AS. And 2 core pures and 2 options for the A Level (this is from experience of Edexcel). Drop Bio, do the AS in further maths but be realistic. Only choose options you like for further maths.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, it would be too much to do a whole a level. If you don't mind, may I ask which a levels you did ? And which uni course you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's feasible to complete the entire A-level further maths syllabus in a year (that's what I'm doing) but keep in mind that you will have to sit 7 exams for maths and further maths alone (assuming you take Edexcel). The content itself is not more difficult than normal maths, but just more stuff so you have to keep on working on it everyday. If I were you, I would drop biology and take A-level further maths (CP1, CP2, FM1, FM2/FP1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.noname)
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, it would be too much to do a whole a level. If you don't mind, may I ask which a levels you did ? And which uni course you applied to?
    I am not at uni yet. Still a sixth former ☺️
    I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and the EPQ. I did a year of further Maths and had to leave it as it was too much to contend with as it was a twilight course and 4 a levels got the better of me. Doing an AS will show interest. But also try to do other stuff. Mention abilty to problem solve with UKMT or read around the subject. Dr frost Maths is a good resource to use for Further Maths. They do the edexcel FM course. I also did Turkish in year 11 if anyone needs Turkish Help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boojai)
    I think it's feasible to complete the entire A-level further maths syllabus in a year (that's what I'm doing) but keep in mind that you will have to sit 7 exams for maths and further maths alone (assuming you take Edexcel). The content itself is not more difficult than normal maths, but just more stuff so you have to keep on working on it everyday. If I were you, I would drop biology and take A-level further maths (CP1, CP2, FM1, FM2/FP1)
    That would take a lot of time. CP1 and CP2 rely on the whole maths a level course being completed as it takes it a step further. FP1 has some parts which can be self taught. If you or anyone does do a Further Maths A Level course in a year take Further Stats or Mechanics with Decision Maths 1 as Decision can be done with just GCSE Maths Knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicProspective)
    That would take a lot of time. CP1 and CP2 rely on the whole maths a level course being completed as it takes it a step further. FP1 has some parts which can be self taught. If you or anyone does do a Further Maths A Level course in a year take Further Stats or Mechanics with Decision Maths 1 as Decision can be done with just GCSE Maths Knowledge.
    I have finished the entire A-level maths course and am almost finished with CP1 and FS1. My school is so weird in that we have to do CP1, CP2 and three options, FS1, FM1 and FP1 instead of just two options, and then picking the best two grades. Decision is not an option because we don't have teachers at school who can teach the content. Currently, I am debating whether to take FS1 and FS2 or FS1 and FP1 for my options (regardless of what my head of maths teacher will say about just taking two options) as I'm applying for economics at uni and will not require mechanics knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boojai)
    I have finished the entire A-level maths course and am almost finished with CP1 and FS1. My school is so weird in that we have to do CP1, CP2 and three options, FS1, FM1 and FP1 instead of just two options, and then picking the best two grades. Decision is not an option because we don't have teachers at school who can teach the content. Currently, I am debating whether to take FS1 and FS2 or FS1 and FP1 for my options (regardless of what my head of maths teacher will say about just taking two options) as I'm applying for economics at uni and will not require mechanics knowledge.
    In my honest opinion there is no reason why you cannot self teach Decision. I did for the most part this year whilst doing it and found it to be alright. Some stuff you could ask others here for advice or ask other maths teachers or tutors for advice. Algorithms and the graph theory with their algorithms is relatively straight forward. Just chapter 7 in edexcel of the Simplex Algorithm is a nightmare and can be difficult to follow at the best of times.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.