The Student Room Group

A level books Edexcel

Tt
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dunia002
Hey
I am self studying A-level Edexcel maths and will be about to order the books. What book shall I get between the black covered PEER HIND Oxford book which includes c1 and c2 together or the blue covered book by KLIETH PLEDGER which are individual ones? I am starting AS level and need to know which one will be the clearest and best explained book. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-level-Mathematics-Textbook-Further/dp/129218339X/ref=pd_sim_14_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=129218339X&pd_rd_r=2ed102ec-adb7-11e8-b0cd-5590e01106d2&pd_rd_w=An0qq&pd_rd_wg=8oP3j&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=84a780ce-12ed-4544-a9d7-b922bd82349c&pf_rd_r=M5CE4GGJCHQGW46PEYEY&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=M5CE4GGJCHQGW46PEYEY
get this
Hey
I am self studying A-level Edexcel maths and will be about to order the books. What book shall I get between the black covered PEER HIND Oxford book which includes c1 and c2 together or the blue covered book by KLIETH PLEDGER which are individual ones? I am starting AS level and need to know which one will be the clearest and best explained book. Thanks!

If you are a UK student you cannot do the old modular specification that uses the books you mention. The text books recommended by @Physikoi Would be a good choice.

If you are outside of the U.K. and are therefore taking an international AS level then the Keith Pledger modular books for C1, C2 and either S1, D1 or M1 are the best for a private candidate UNLESS you planning to take the full A level exams in the future. In this case you might plan for the new IAL specification for which a new range of text books would be recommended.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thankyou! I am in spain at the moment and going to be self studying and yes I am planing to do the full a level. Is it true that I have to sit the exams at the end of the second year? So does that mean that I don’t have to go to the uk to sit the As level? And what’s modular specification would I be studying in normal maths?

I'm answering on here. Are you taking the international A level or the English one?
Original post by Muttley79
I'm answering on here. Are you taking the international A level or the English one?

I’m not really sure what’s the difference.... maybe the international one 😬
Thankyou! I am in spain at the moment and going to be self studying and yes I am planing to do the full a level. Is it true that I have to sit the exams at the end of the second year? So does that mean that I don’t have to go to the uk to sit the As level? And what’s modular specification would I be studying in normal maths?

You don't have to come to the uk to take exams. You should be able to find an EDEXCEL approved centre in Spain where I would expect you to take international A level exams. This international A level is broken into 6 modular units, 4 compulsory ones of pure maths and then you do 2 two optional units where you have some choice of the preferred topic combination. You can take 2 units of stats S1&2 or two units of mechanics M1&2 or one of each S1&M1. I would avoid the D units. You can take these modular units at different times or all at once, there are exams in January and May/June and in October in a few countries.. The U.K. a level used to be the same modular structure but has recently changed, the Pledger books are designed for the modular structure. The international A level is being revised and so when you plan to take the exams will affect which version you should prepare for. You will find both the existing international A level specification and details of the updates starting this year on the EDEXCEL web site. Google "edexcel international A level maths" and you will find them.

If you plan to travel to the UK for exams then you would take the UK A level. This has been updated to be a completely linear qualification where you must take all 3 exams at the end of the course. It has different content from the international version and you would need different text books to prepare for it.
Original post by gdunne42
You don't have to come to the uk to take exams. You should be able to find an EDEXCEL approved centre in Spain where I would expect you to take international A level exams. This international A level is broken into 6 modular units, 4 compulsory ones of pure maths and then you do 2 two optional units where you have some choice of the preferred topic combination. You can take 2 units of stats S1&2 or two units of mechanics M1&2 or one of each S1&M1. I would avoid the D units. You can take these modular units at different times or all at once, there are exams in January and May/June and in October in a few countries.. The U.K. a level used to be the same modular structure but has recently changed, the Pledger books are designed for the modular structure. The international A level is being revised and so when you plan to take the exams will affect which version you should prepare for. You will find both the existing international A level specification and details of the updates starting this year on the EDEXCEL web site. Google "edexcel international A level maths" and you will find them.

If you plan to travel to the UK for exams then you would take the UK A level. This has been updated to be a completely linear qualification where you must take all 3 exams at the end of the course. It has different content from the international version and you would need different text books to prepare for it.

I like [or liked] the D units - they contain the maths most relevant to today
Original post by Muttley79
I like [or liked] the D units - they contain the maths most relevant to today

I don't disagree about the relevance I just find that they can be tough for isolated independent candidates to prepare for, hard to find others who are doing them to get help from and therefore sometimes difficult to do well in. Now that D is only covered as an option in FM in domestic A level I'd expect there'd be even fewer candidates to collaborative with.
So if I took the exams here in spain, could I do three maths modular units in the first year (as) and then the rest in the second year to complete the full a level? And would the as level count towards my full Alevel if I did IAL a level? Its just that I would prefer to take the exams per year instead of having to do them all at the end of the two years. Thanks 😁

Yes to both questions.

You'll find a list of possible exam centres here:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/find-a-pearson-centre.html
The list isn't always up to date and not all centres will offer the exams you want so start your enquiries as soon as the new term begins.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks ☺️ I will be taking Edexcel maths. Could you explain a bit about the units and about c1-4,s1-4, d1-4, m1-4.... i’m Not really sure which ones I’m supposed to be doing the fisrt year. In a previsous post or page I said i was going to do c1,c2 and s1 the fisrt year but someone said I woudn’t be able to do that? I want to do the easiest one for selfstudy 😬

If you are going to self study then you really need to 1. Decide if you are going to study the international Modular A level or take your exams in UK and do the new linear specification 2. If IAL Workout when you will take exams so that you know if you will take exams under the existing specification or the new version that begins teaching this school term. 3. download the appropriate specification, understand what your options are and read about what your exams will cover.

When deciding what options to study you should think about what is most relevant to your future plans. What it easiest depends on your prior study and ability. I'd consider either S1 M1 or S1and2
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest