Can anyone help me with music GCSE?

Watch
lyalucy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so I’m going into y10 in two days and I’m panicking about starting Music GCSE (we use AQA exam board) because I’ve looked at the revision books and I have no clue about any of it whatsoever and I’m only a self taught pianist, I never learnt all the theory or technical stuff, I just play by ear. I’m really worried about being behind. The class is after school so the only people doing it are people who really care about it and are good at it - except me lol. Can anyone tell me what I need to know for the exam?? And will I be behind?? Thankyou so much if you can
Tilsterbilster10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by htoombs47)
Okay so I’m going into y10 in two days and I’m panicking about starting Music GCSE (we use AQA exam board) because I’ve looked at the revision books and I have no clue about any of it whatsoever and I’m only a self taught pianist, I never learnt all the theory or technical stuff, I just play by ear. I’m really worried about being behind. The class is after school so the only people doing it are people who really care about it and are good at it - except me lol. Can anyone tell me what I need to know for the exam?? And will I be behind?? Thankyou so much if you can

Hi im going in to year 10 music gcse as well. Im a self taught pianist and singer, i get exactly what you’re saying because i dont really understand theory at all either, however loads of people dont as well so try not to compare yourself to others. You have your own unique way of music and thats you. What has helped me is my mum bought me an ‘understanding music theory’ book off amazon and ive been reading it and doing the activities and i feel like i know a bit more now and im catching up. This is just a suggestion but overall try not to worry about the theory because some other people in your class wont know it as well. Also everything in your exams they should teach you in class so if you just listen and concentrate you should be fine. Have fun and hope it goes well x
Tilsterbilster10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tilsterbilster10)
Hi im going in to year 10 music gcse as well. Im a self taught pianist and singer, i get exactly what you’re saying because i dont really understand theory at all either, however loads of people dont as well so try not to compare yourself to others. You have your own unique way of music and thats you. What has helped me is my mum bought me an ‘understanding music theory’ book off amazon and ive been reading it and doing the activities and i feel like i know a bit more now and im catching up. This is just a suggestion but overall try not to worry about the theory because some other people in your class wont know it as well. Also everything in your exams they should teach you in class so if you just listen and concentrate you should be fine. Have fun and hope it goes well x
Also for the exam if your just doing music gcse in general idk some schools have different music gcses you can take like recording or performing and stuff but if your just doing music in general then i think like 40% of it is by ear so that should be fine for you and then the rest is based on your performance and you answer some technical and theory questions. I recommend asking your teacher when you go back though and they’ll tell you what it involves x
lyalucy
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, this is really helpful! It was absolutely fine! Honestly no one is doing great in my class anyway since no one can understand the Hayn🙄😂
lyalucy
Rep:
?
Also for the exam if your just doing music gcse in general idk some schools have different music gcses you can take like recording or performing and stuff but if your just doing music in general then i think like 40% of it is by ear so that should be fine for you and then the rest is based on your performance and you answer some technical and theory questions. I recommend asking your teacher when you go back though and they’ll tell you what it involves x
Yes, thank you, only 40% is theory with 30% composition and 30% performance so I should be fine :/
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lmao nvm
amelialilb27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i too am a self taught pianist but advanced singer (grade 8) however im in year 11. music GCSE is impossible and i am really struggling however im not trying to put you off. im on EDEXCEL however i used to do AQA and there pretty much the same. you do 2 composition pieces and record them. you do a solo performance with chosen instrument. you perform a ensemble piece (group).you have to learn and analyse 8 set works and 1 unseen works. there is a lot in music i would not recommend taking if looking for easy options.
lyalucy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by amelialilb27)
i too am a self taught pianist but advanced singer (grade 8) however im in year 11. music GCSE is impossible and i am really struggling however im not trying to put you off. im on EDEXCEL however i used to do AQA and there pretty much the same. you do 2 composition pieces and record them. you do a solo performance with chosen instrument. you perform a ensemble piece (group).you have to learn and analyse 8 set works and 1 unseen works. there is a lot in music i would not recommend taking if looking for easy options.
Have you just finished y11 or going into? If finished what grade did you get? I’m starting y11 in 2 weeks so I can’t really drop out now😂 it is getting easier but I only got a 5 on the mock :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (10)
43.48%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (2)
8.7%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
4.35%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (5)
21.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (2)
8.7%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
13.04%

Watched Threads