?
Report 2 years ago
What’s the essay about?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
depends on the mark scheme and what the question's asking you.
moved to english forum.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The mark-scheme should give you an idea of the standard you are aiming for to have your essay placed in the top level. The criteria are fixed regardless of the question.
s666
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To get the top grades you need to be critical. That means you need to state right at the start of each paragraph a critical idea as to why the writer has portrayed a theme or character in a certain way. For example, Stevenson highlights the theme of duality in Jekyll and Hyde to allude to the idea that scientific exploration is dangerous and evil. Stevenson draws a parallel between science and evil as Hyde is characterised as demonic and he was born out of scientific exploration. Dont start by talking about the devices the writer used, talk about WHY they have constructed an idea or character.

Talk about any comments on society the writer is making. E.g : criticizing, highlighting, alluding to, political commentary, religious allusion/criticism - this is AO3 context. Research the time it was written. Dont throw in context if it is irrelevant -always link back to initial point or it will sound forced and pointless.

A range of vocabulary helps the marker to believe that your arguments (your essay is meant to be an argument about what the writer is trying to show) are substantial and will make them biased to mark your essay higher.

The best thing to do is read other peoples high scoring essays and learn from them. Whenever you get an essay back re read it and rewrite it until it is improved.

Throughout the essay, analyse short quotes and look for multiple meanings. Always link back to initial critical point.
E_M_M_I_E
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by s666)
To get the top grades you need to be critical. That means you need to state right at the start of each paragraph a critical idea as to why the writer has portrayed a theme or character in a certain way. For example, Stevenson highlights the theme of duality in Jekyll and Hyde to allude to the idea that scientific exploration is dangerous and evil. Stevenson draws a parallel between science and evil as Hyde is characterised as demonic and he was born out of scientific exploration. Dont start by talking about the devices the writer used, talk about WHY they have constructed an idea or character.

Talk about any comments on society the writer is making. E.g : criticizing, highlighting, alluding to, political commentary, religious allusion/criticism - this is AO3 context. Research the time it was written. Dont throw in context if it is irrelevant -always link back to initial point or it will sound forced and pointless.

A range of vocabulary helps the marker to believe that your arguments (your essay is meant to be an argument about what the writer is trying to show) are substantial and will make them biased to mark your essay higher.

The best thing to do is read other peoples high scoring essays and learn from them. Whenever you get an essay back re read it and rewrite it until it is improved.

Throughout the essay, analyse short quotes and look for multiple meanings. Always link back to initial critical point.
I got a 9 at GCSE and this is helping me in year 13. Damn. This is really well explained.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads