The Student Room Group

what are your tips for cutting food costs at uni?

Food is one of those unavoidable food expenses but it is somewhere you can save a bit of cash; my best tips are if you can walk to a food shop is to find out what time they reduce their food (as some places can go as high as 75% off) on decent food that you can freeze or cook that night and to always plan your meals, by having a plan it means less trips to the shops so less temptation to spend more money.
what do you do to save money on food?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
Food is one of those unavoidable food expenses but it is somewhere you can save a bit of cash; my best tips are if you can walk to a food shop is to find out what time they reduce their food (as some places can go as high as 75% off) on decent food that you can freeze or cook that night and to always plan your meals, by having a plan it means less trips to the shops so less temptation to spend more money.
what do you do to save money on food?

Planning ahead to avoid multiple visits to supermarkets helps prevent expensive, impulsive purchases from experience.
I've found Aldi to be amazing as well--Aldi or Lidl are definitely good places to stock up on the basics; there's not much difference between their own-brand items and another stores. They also do really great cheap wine and liquor if you're looking for something for pre-drinks!

I also try to plan meals that aren't too repetitive so I'm not as tempted to stray and go shopping once again. If I'm meal-planning, I try not to do two meals with tomato-based sauces, for example--it helps me from getting bored.

Cutting down on meat and eating vegetarian has also helped me decrease food costs!
Original post by Blue_Cow
Planning ahead to avoid multiple visits to supermarkets helps prevent expensive, impulsive purchases from experience.

Great advice, i remember first moving into halls and going to aldi to get milk and coming back with lots of cheap cakes, when i had everything in to bake if i wanted to.
Original post by Michelle Bieger
I've found Aldi to be amazing as well--Aldi or Lidl are definitely good places to stock up on the basics; there's not much difference between their own-brand items and another stores. They also do really great cheap wine and liquor if you're looking for something for pre-drinks!

I also try to plan meals that aren't too repetitive so I'm not as tempted to stray and go shopping once again. If I'm meal-planning, I try not to do two meals with tomato-based sauces, for example--it helps me from getting bored.

Cutting down on meat and eating vegetarian has also helped me decrease food costs!

Aldi wine is brilliant, I certainly miss being close to an aldi. Yes variety is key, although chopped tomatoes you can make many different sauces with.
If you're buying meat, it's cheaper to buy the whole of a chicken, or a leg of lamb/joint of pork chop it up and freeze it. Portions cost more as you're paying for someone to cut it up for you. Cheaper cuts like chicken drum sticks are cheap because there's not much meat on them or because they need cooking for hours, so make sure you research what you're buying. Meals like beans on toast or jacket potatoes are fine. Don't eat lots of take aways, they are expensive and packed with salt, batch cooking (making extra) and freeze the excess is good for those days when you don't have time to cook, just whack it in the microwave. You don't need to eat meat every day, have a few days off. Frozen veg is just as nutritious as fresh and it's cheaper (and it lasts longer). Don't buy a lot of pre prepared foods, they work out more expensive then if you were to prepare and cook yourself. Markets are good for fresh fruit and veg if you're a veggie and want fresh, you can weigh out just what you need. You can freeze milk so if you go towards closing time and there's some on offer, go for it. Don't put bread in the fridge, it goes hard and nasty. Don't buy ice cream as someone else will eat it. Don't buy expensive frozen food, that will go walkies too.

Things you won't need for uni because everyone else will bring one with them, they are cheap to buy if no one has them;
Kettle
Toaster
Can opener
Bottle opener
Tea towels (unless you want your own)
Cheese grater
Wooden spoons
Kitchen towel
Sponges
Potato masher

Things to take a stash in your room (because your flat mates will trash/nick them);
Saucepans (you need a small one, like a milk pan, for baked beans, and a large one for pasta/potatoes etc)
Frying pan
Cooking knives
Coffee machine (if you want to take one, the kettle's cheaper though), keep the coffee in your room or locked away too
Cutlery
Baking tray

Don't bother taking a whisk, a fork usually works OK, don't bother taking a sieve (you can use the lid to drain water), don't bother taking a tea pot, just use a mug. Don't bother taking cake tins, people rarely cook a cake. Wine glasses will get broken easily so don't fork out too much. Don't bother taking an oven glove unless there isn't one when you get to Uni. Your flat/house will only need one and you can bet someone's gone OTT and can fit out the kitchen. Don't bother taking a wok unless you're a really good cook. A frying pan does the job just as well. Don't take a blender unless you're super healthy, it will never get used.

Slotted spoons are helpful. Plates, bowls, mugs are also helpful, but you won't need a whole dinner service. You'll need a flat cooking utensil so you can turn over things, and some silicone tongues. You'll need a padlock for your cupboard as most have locks on them. A potato peeler is useful. Chopping boards are a must!! Plastic ones are cheap, don't take expensive wooden ones as they will get trashed.
Great advice, i remember first moving into halls and going to aldi to get milk and coming back with lots of cheap cakes, when i had everything in to bake if i wanted to.

6 doughnuts for 50p at Morrisons :woohoo:
Original post by Blue_Cow
6 doughnuts for 50p at Morrisons :woohoo:

that is a good deal :smile:
Original post by HappyBuddah
If you're buying meat, it's cheaper to buy the whole of a chicken, or a leg of lamb/joint of pork chop it up and freeze it. Portions cost more as you're paying for someone to cut it up for you. Cheaper cuts like chicken drum sticks are cheap because there's not much meat on them or because they need cooking for hours, so make sure you research what you're buying. Meals like beans on toast or jacket potatoes are fine. Don't eat lots of take aways, they are expensive and packed with salt, batch cooking (making extra) and freeze the excess is good for those days when you don't have time to cook, just whack it in the microwave. You don't need to eat meat every day, have a few days off. Frozen veg is just as nutritious as fresh and it's cheaper (and it lasts longer). Don't buy a lot of pre prepared foods, they work out more expensive then if you were to prepare and cook yourself. Markets are good for fresh fruit and veg if you're a veggie and want fresh, you can weigh out just what you need. You can freeze milk so if you go towards closing time and there's some on offer, go for it. Don't put bread in the fridge, it goes hard and nasty. Don't buy ice cream as someone else will eat it. Don't buy expensive frozen food, that will go walkies too.

Things you won't need for uni because everyone else will bring one with them, they are cheap to buy if no one has them;
Kettle
Toaster
Can opener
Bottle opener
Tea towels (unless you want your own)
Cheese grater
Wooden spoons
Kitchen towel
Sponges
Potato masher

Things to take a stash in your room (because your flat mates will trash/nick them);
Saucepans (you need a small one, like a milk pan, for baked beans, and a large one for pasta/potatoes etc)
Frying pan
Cooking knives
Coffee machine (if you want to take one, the kettle's cheaper though), keep the coffee in your room or locked away too
Cutlery
Baking tray

Don't bother taking a whisk, a fork usually works OK, don't bother taking a sieve (you can use the lid to drain water), don't bother taking a tea pot, just use a mug. Don't bother taking cake tins, people rarely cook a cake. Wine glasses will get broken easily so don't fork out too much. Don't bother taking an oven glove unless there isn't one when you get to Uni. Your flat/house will only need one and you can bet someone's gone OTT and can fit out the kitchen. Don't bother taking a wok unless you're a really good cook. A frying pan does the job just as well. Don't take a blender unless you're super healthy, it will never get used.

Slotted spoons are helpful. Plates, bowls, mugs are also helpful, but you won't need a whole dinner service. You'll need a flat cooking utensil so you can turn over things, and some silicone tongues. You'll need a padlock for your cupboard as most have locks on them. A potato peeler is useful. Chopping boards are a must!! Plastic ones are cheap, don't take expensive wooden ones as they will get trashed.

Brilliant advice, I certainly agree that frozen fruit and veg is just as good especially if you're cooking them in a sauce. Also i did bother taking cake tins but i bake almost every weekend and when i was in halls there was quite a shock when my flatmates saw that.
Brilliant advice, I certainly agree that frozen fruit and veg is just as good especially if you're cooking them in a sauce. Also i did bother taking cake tins but i bake almost every weekend and when i was in halls there was quite a shock when my flatmates saw that.

Ah, you were brave! My flat mates would have eaten that before it had cooled! :biggrin:

Oh, and don't bother with branded foods, the supermarket own labels are usually just as good and are a lot cheaper. It may help if you and your flat mates have a bread/milk kitty and someone (not the same person) picks up a couple of loaves and some milk every few days or so, this way you have a constant supply of fresh milk and fresh bread.
Ah, you were brave! My flat mates would have eaten that before it had cooled! :biggrin:

Oh, and don't bother with branded foods, the supermarket own labels are usually just as good and are a lot cheaper. It may help if you and your flat mates have a bread/milk kitty and someone (not the same person) picks up a couple of loaves and some milk every few days or so, this way you have a constant supply of fresh milk and fresh bread.

Oh the cake was hidden it a tin in my room, once it had cooled down most of the time. I think if you have decent flatmates sharing milk can work out really well.
Oh the cake was hidden it a tin in my room, once it had cooled down most of the time. I think if you have decent flatmates sharing milk can work out really well.

Ahh, sneaky! I never forgave mine for nicking my tub of ice cream out of the freezer.
Ahh, sneaky! I never forgave mine for nicking my tub of ice cream out of the freezer.

stealing someone elses dessert is just despicable behaviour, the worst I had was milk being stolen and some cheap pans being destroyed
Eat less.
stealing someone elses dessert is just despicable behaviour, the worst I had was milk being stolen and some cheap pans being destroyed

I wasn't happy, especially as it wasn't cheap ice cream and it was full! I wish I'd have spat in it before putting it into the freezer or something. I'm sorry about your milk and your pan, that must have been annoying :frown:
Separate needs from wants. You need to eat. You want to go out for a cheeky Nando’s.
I wasn't happy, especially as it wasn't cheap ice cream and it was full! I wish I'd have spat in it before putting it into the freezer or something. I'm sorry about your milk and your pan, that must have been annoying :frown:

I was a bit annoyed, I started keeping my pans in my room after that. I have all the nice kitchen utensils I want now I have my own place but I do regret buying so many pans for uni.
Original post by RichPiana
Separate needs from wants. You need to eat. You want to go out for a cheeky Nando’s.

Wise words indeed, and if you do give into a food want make sure you get student discount.
Only order Byron's on Deliveroo 2 nights a week, rather than 5.
I was a bit annoyed, I started keeping my pans in my room after that. I have all the nice kitchen utensils I want now I have my own place but I do regret buying so many pans for uni.

I think mine were 3 for £10 from a discount store so it didn't matter about any damage, they were crap though, they went rusty after about 6 months. Debenhams usually have 3 pan sets on sale for £30ish (usually Tefal ones, which are OK but the screws on the handles become lose after a while and it's a pain to keep tightening them up). M&S is the next one up, they are good pans, Lakeland's great for nice utensils and cake tins (and saucepans) for when you've graduated and you have your own place.

I really wouldn't get nice plates/mugs for Uni, you'll spend all your time wondering where they've gone. Go to Wilco's, get something cheap and cheerful. Invest in something better when you've finished your degree and you have a job.

Quick Reply

Latest