What to wear as a PhD student? Watch

Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm going back to university this month, and thought I would dress a bit smarter than I did as an undergrad (jeans and hoodie). I'll be in some lectures with masters and other PhD students and don't want to come across as a posh stuck up idiot for dressing smart (am female btw). Is this worry unfounded and just go in what I feel comfortable in?

Advice very much appreciated
Physikoi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
I'm going back to university this month, and thought I would dress a bit smarter than I did as an undergrad (jeans and hoodie). I'll be in some lectures with masters and other PhD students and don't want to come across as a posh stuck up idiot for dressing smart (am female btw). Is this worry unfounded and just go in what I feel comfortable in?

wear a roadman tracksuit to emphasise intellect xddd
stettafire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

You might not want to be the guy wearing a suit when all your colleagues are wearing jeans and a t-shirt. But, you can wear a pair of trousers (not necessarily black) and put a casual shirt with it. That way its smarter than scruffy jeans and a t-shirt, but you don't stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe try smart-causal as opposed to all out smart wear.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by stettafire)
You might not want to be the guy wearing a suit when all your colleagues are wearing jeans and a t-shirt. But, you can wear a pair of trousers (not necessarily black) and put a casual shirt with it. That way its smarter than scruffy jeans and a t-shirt, but you don't stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe try smart-causal as opposed to all out smart wear.
Yes I should of clarified - smart casual, not a full on suit! Thanks for the input
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The PhD students at my uni dress worse than the students!!
Just be comfortable
stettafire
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by iElvendork)
The PhD students at my uni dress worse than the students!!
Just be comfortable
Ha, ha. Yes, this is true. During my HND graduation ceremony the head of Computing, Science, Technology and Engineering was wearing jeans and trainers underneath his robe
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Top: Something durable and easy care with a chest pocket so you can have a nice neat line of pens. e.g. poly-cotton polo shirt
Bottom: Black combat trousers - again easy laundry & lots of tactical pockets.
EmperorTortoise
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Clothes are the shackles of an illiberal society. Cast them off and feel the freedom brush against your skin.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

You should check what some senior academics wear for guidance.

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2018...l-video-113007

(In other words, it doesn't matter... )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You should check what some senior academics wear for guidance.

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2018...l-video-113007

(In other words, it doesn't matter...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh it's her again.
mqb2766
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Gown and mortarboard at every lecture, its compulsory.
Drostina
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A lot of the time I wear a dark tshirt and a black Jean with a black coat on top and I look very smart despite of how much more casual and comfortable they are
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Name:  A18A8C80-7197-43A0-B4A0-6760CDEFA207.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  35.1 KB
Go in dressed like this
thotproduct
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by RichPiana)
Name:  A18A8C80-7197-43A0-B4A0-6760CDEFA207.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  35.1 KB
Go in dressed like this
mandem on the wall i see youuu
have
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by thotproduct)
mandem on the wall i see youuu
Shall I dash him blud?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (135)
18.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.2%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (226)
30.34%

Watched Threads