The Student Room Group

Had an argument with father and decided to leave the house - what can I do?

I reached my breaking point with my father today. I have made a few threads about him before.

We had another argument, this time about university. I usually just listen but today I decided to speak back which meant he raised his voice and swore. After 10 minutes upstairs, I said to my mother that I was going out to the gym for an hour. Went for a walk and am there now.

I'm feeling too scared to return home now. He is often aggressive in his behaviour and always gives me the impression that he thinks little of me as a son.
What was the argument about?
Original post by Chickchok
What was the argument about?

University applications.
Original post by Joe2001
I reached my breaking point with my father today. I have made a few threads about him before.

We had another argument, this time about university. I usually just listen but today I decided to speak back which meant he raised his voice and swore. After 10 minutes upstairs, I said to my mother that I was going out to the gym for an hour. Went for a walk and am there now.

I'm feeling too scared to return home now. He is often aggressive in his behaviour and always gives me the impression that he thinks little of me as a son.

How often do you feel scared of your father? Would you ever consider his actions to constitute psychological abuse (ncluding emotional abuse, threats of harm or abandonment, humiliation, blaming, controlling, intimidation, coercion, harassment, verbal abuse)? Are there any factors that may be influencing your father's behaviour/reactions? If you're genuinely afraid to go back if you feel you are unsafe it might be worth calling a local helpline and speaking to them about it who can give you further advice. I'm not a trained anything so I can't really give you support but I have been in an abusive home life and had to actually make myself homeless in order to get away from it and not kill myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending