The Student Room Group

Is Casio fx-85 GT plus good for a level maths?

Bought one but says recommended for gcse. Also some features missing i think, but is it good enough to get an a* ??
Reply 1
Original post by Cakecupcake
Bought one but says recommended for gcse. Also some features missing i think, but is it good enough to get an a* ??

no, you're gonna need at least an fx-991EX. Why would you want to lose marks just because you don't want to get a new calculator. I mean it'll probably be possible to get an A*, but are you really that cheap.
Reply 2
In my opinion anything with a summation function is usable for a level maths. As long as you can sum the probabilities then it's good enough for as level but you will need integration for some of the a level probability. I personally recommend getting a calculator with statistics functions but summation and integration should be usable on there own.

No, it does not have essential stats capabilities that you cannot do without for binomial and normal distributions. As @have has said you need at least a 991EX classwiz.(unless you are an international A level candidate in which case it's an adequate calculator despite missing some advantageous feature of slightly more capable models).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
No, it does not have essential stats capabilities that you cannot do without for binomial and normal distributions. As @have has said you need at least a 991EX classwiz.(unless you are an international A level candidate in which case it's an adequate calculator despite missing some advantageous feature of slightly more capable models).

Would a 991Ex classwiz be good enough or is it worth getting even more expensive models?
Would a 991Ex classwiz be good enough or is it worth getting even more expensive models?

This model is definitely usable for A Level Maths and is more than enough to assist you throughout the year, but if you have the money to spend on a more expensive graphical calculator, these are incredibly useful. Myself, I own a FXCG50 and couldn't ask for anything more from it (considering I spent quite a bit of money on it).

So Overall, it is definitely a good calculator, but having a graphical calculator just seems like a smarter investment to me.

That's the one I have and is recommended.
Reply 7

All you need.
Thanks everyone, looks like i'm sold on the classwiz :h:

Quick Reply

Latest