Grow Your Grades - My journey of self teaching myself A level chemistry

Watch
Aniqa-987
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello there.. You have chosen a blog of GYG which is going to be very dramatic and full of surprises! My last thread didn’t mention my story properly, so I thought that it be a good idea to properly mention it.

So, my name is Aniqa and I will be self-teaching myself A level chemistry. Yep, you heard me, chemistry A level without a teacher! This blog is to keep my motivated and it will show all the bumps up and down the road- what study tips went wrong and why and what you should be doing during your revision. I will be trialling all sorts of revision tips and documenting my journey.

Here’s a bit about myself if you want to read on…
Spoiler:
Show

Here are my grades:
  • Maths: C
  • History: B
  • English: C
  • Religious education: B
  • Double Science: B
  • English lit: B
  • Graphics: C

My current situation:

So I am 19 and I want to make to teach others. One thing missing though: One aspect though I don’t have A level qualifications and I left Sixth form with Health and social care and applied science BTEC level 3 qualification. So, it’s crazy right? :confused:

My plans for the future:

To become a science teacher and teach kids from ages 11+. I enjoy the subject of science to a extremely unhealthy extent and want to share my knowledge with others. I thought I wanted to teach younger children but decided that wants for me. (If you update on this blog, you realise why later… )

My hobbies:

• Swimming
  • Volunteering
  • Reading books
  • Seasons such as doctor who, Merlin, Desperate housewives (I am obsessed with these sorts of dramas!)
  • Spending time in nature

So even though it’s a challenge, I decided to self-teach myself A level chemistry within one year (AS and A2) while getting a full-time job to support my studies. Yep, that’s right spend thousands of pounds on my self-teaching in one year. I calculated the costs. I am going to take my exams as a private candidate at a private exam centre.

Last of all… what you will see

Honestly, I will show you all the tough and good times and how I will progress and what I will take in order to reach that. If you want to get tagged, notify me and I am happy to help others, especially those in my position.

Thank you to all of those of who will join me in this journey! I hope to inspire you!
Chong Wa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aniqa-987)
Ist Septmeber

Hi there,

My name is Aniqa.

I am a 19 year old who has high passions to make in in the science world and teach to inspire others. One aspect though; I have no A level qualifications and I left sixth form with health and social care and applied science BTEC level 3 qualification. So its crazy right?:afraid:

Here are my current grades:
GCSE:
Maths: C, Double Science: B, English: C, English literature: B, Graphics: C, RE: B, History B

Sixth Form:
Double Health and Social Care: Dis*
Applied Science: Dis

So even though its extremely daunting, but I decided to self teach myself A level chemistry within one year (AS and A2) while getting a full time job on the side to support my studies. Yep, thats right: spend thousands on my self teaching in one year. (I calculated the costs). I am going to take my exams as a private candidate at a private exam centre.
How often do you plan to update the blog?
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
Every once in a while, such as every week. I be a regular blogger of my journey of self teaching chem throughout this year
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
04 September

Here is a spoiler of my previous history and educational background, including my circumstances:
Spoiler:
Show

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's since I was in yr 11, although I know that that I was autistic for my whole life. I used to get bullied for my autism in school, even though it wasn't frequent which made me doubt myself from both friends, family as well as bullies.

When I was 16, I started started sixth form and I was taking A level chemistry, Biology and History. But to to circumstances and health issues, I dropped out. Now that I realise my potential and passion for science. I hope to succeed anything that I put my mind to. Although teaching chemistry without a teacher may be difficult, I will put my head down this year and achieve my best

Haleem2000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know how you'll do the practical endorsement/coursework part?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
good luck for this year aniqa! teaching yourself a-level chem in a year whilst balancing a full time job sounds super daunting/challenging:eek2:
what do you plan to do after completing the a-level?
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
(Original post by Haleem2000)
Do you know how you'll do the practical endorsement/coursework part?
I plan to do the practical endorsement though the exam centre
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
So this week was alright, some ups and downs however I'm doing okay to start with.

So I have started my chemistry revision and therefore began on AS. (I plan to do A2 after the Christmas holidays.) It went fairly okay, I attempted three work sheets on topic one and got an average of 80 per cent or higher.

This week for chemistry I did 10h of work to cover the whole chapter one content which was about fundamental atoms, electronic orbitals plus ionisation energies. I struggled very hard with the mass spectrometer concept but got the hand of it after a while. It took me a while to get on board with the concepts but I managed after a while and everyone has their own pace.

I got sick yesterday which meant a whole day in bed and relaxing to get rid of my flu. I felt really ill and had to get some paracetamol. I just re read my flashcards and didn't do anything else. Also, I accidentally lost my definitions on quizlet. :getmecoat:

Finally, to sum it up, I bought all stationery for my studies and I finished everything ( Now I have to focus on the next chapter)
I started to get on with the maths work I set myself ( just plain old GCSE maths to help me with chem) and so far I've found it straightforward (re arranging will be quite tricky which i haven't covered yet. So otherwise than getting the flu, this week has been alright.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So this week was alright, some ups and downs however I'm doing okay to start with.

So I have started my chemistry revision and therefore began on AS. (I plan to do A2 after the Christmas holidays.) It went fairly okay, I attempted three work sheets on topic one and got an average of 80 per cent or higher.

This week for chemistry I did 10h of work to cover the whole chapter one content which was about fundamental atoms, electronic orbitals plus ionisation energies. I struggled very hard with the mass spectrometer concept but got the hand of it after a while. It took me a while to get on board with the concepts but I managed after a while and everyone has their own pace.

I got sick yesterday which meant a whole day in bed and relaxing to get rid of my flu. I felt really ill and had to get some paracetamol. I just re read my flashcards and didn't do anything else. Also, I accidentally lost my definitions on quizlet. :getmecoat:

Finally, to sum it up, I bought all stationery for my studies and I finished everything ( Now I have to focus on the next chapter)
I started to get on with the maths work I set myself ( just plain old GCSE maths to help me with chem) s and so far I've found it straightforward (re arranging will be quite tricky which i haven't covered yet. So otherwise than getting the flu, this week has been alright.
Feel better soon!

The maths for A-level sciences has gotten quite challenging, so it's good you're finding that side of things easy!

I probably can't help with the actual chemistry content, but if you're struggling with exam technique or anything like that I think it's quite similar for chemistry and biology so feel free to get in touch
AEP2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve just completed my AS in chemistry (got an A with the help of a tutor). If you need any help let me know, I’ll try my best to help you!
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
Thank you! Btw, what revision tips did you use???
I will find this really helpful if you share some of yours. What revision tehcniques did you use to get an A? This is the grade I am aiming for as well, if not an A*.
Haleem2000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I plan to do the practical endorsement though the exam centre
I want to do that too, but the prices for doing the practical endorsement are really high. Does your exam cente have a good price?
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
(Original post by Haleem2000)
I want to do that too, but the prices for doing the practical endorsemebnt are really high. Does your exam cente have a good price?
I plan to do my qualification and practicals at the english maths and science tutition centre in Birmingham. The total cost for all the exams and practical coursework is £825. Generally , they are all the same price.
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
Review of this week - 15 september

I havent got ANY work done. I am on chapter 2 amount of substance which means i am starting to lag behind. I find the decimals and significant hard when doing mole and gas equations.

How I will improve:
Make myself accountable for my revision so i will post a thread every day next week so I get it done
Go over maths before starting chapter 2
Dont worry so much
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
I plan to do a degree in chemistry. Hopefully take a foundation year first
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
good luck for this year aniqa! teaching yourself a-level chem in a year whilst balancing a full time job sounds super daunting/challenging:eek2:
what do you plan to do after completing the a-level?
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
(Original post by AEP2000)
I’ve just completed my AS in chemistry (got an A with the help of a tutor). If you need any help let me know, I’ll try my best to help you!
Hi,
What did you do to get an A? I find some of the topics really tricky and I have no one to go over this with
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
UPDATE 20th September

I been struggling even more and I still haven't finished chapter 2 amount of substance! I am starting to lag behind. I am starting to get stressed!

The reason due to this is because I do not understand concepts and with no teacher, this is very hard to do. Mean while, to up date you guys, I am still looking for a full time job to support my studies and I have got 2 interviews lined up. Hopefully I will at least secure one of these interviews as I need the expenses to support my studies. (private tutoring) I got one interview with Super drug (30 hours per week if secured) and one with Super dry (8) hours [per week if secured)

My accountability list:
Go over calculations tomorrow ( empirical and molecular
formula, chemical yield and atom economy)
Balancing ironic and normal equations
Practise worksheets and memorise answers
go over chapter 1
Write revision notes and flashcards

In my next Blog, I will post all the revision sources I use to self teach and my main revision tips!
isiaiah d
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know if you use this but chemrevise is really helpful. Good Luck!
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
(Original post by isiaiah d)
I don't know if you use this but chemrevise is really helpful. Good Luck!
Thank you I checked the website and its looks really good and provides solutions to my chemistry calc problems.
Aniqa-987
Rep:
?
UPDATE 21 September

Today I went over calculations briefly for example empirical, molecular and chemical yield and atom economy. A managed to do some practise questions in the CGP book and tested myself suing the mark scheme . I scored an average of 70 per cent. Tomorrow, I will repeat the worksheet again as well as attempt other question from other website banks.

Brief summary of today:
Watch videos on tailored tutors ( i really recommend this website) one hour
work though Atom economy, percentage yield and empirical formula questions 2 hours
questions on CGP 30 mins
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads