The Student Room Group

Should you revise year 1 content in year 2 of A-Levels? How?

Starting A-Level Year 2 in a few days at school. I am determined to get AAB if not higher in my end-of-year A-Level exams. This year, I plan to keep up with all year 2 content so at the end of the year I can just revise what I already know. However, I worry that even though I may understand what I've learnt in Year 2 and Year 1 that lots of Year 1 information will be forgotten come the end of the year. How did those of you who were successful in your A-levels achieve this? Did you revise year 1 content during year 2, at the end of the year 2, not at all? Did any of you look back over it before you would do the year 2 "version" if you like, so for example in Maths if you are doing year 2 integration maths would you look back at year 1 integration then? How did you keep up with year 1 content without the huge amount of revision being needed for year 2 content before June?
Spent maybe 30 mins to 2 hours per subject on yr 1 stuff in the start of yr 2, I was really intimidated by the amount of stuff i’d Have to remember, but tbh when you’re actually doing it it doesn’t seem like a lot. For maths I did a past paper a week (ish) alternating modules (but I did old spec so there was loads of papers), and in exam season I was doing one per day (sometimes redoing ones i’d done before). For bio and geography I split the content into topics or “sections” and would do a bit from each section per week
It's always good to remind yourself of the key concepts, as in Year 2, especially for A Level Maths, you will find it much, much harder to do topics without prerequisite knowledge from the first year. So it's a good idea to review what you've done, how long you dedicate on that, will depend. Did you have any mocks/AS tests? How well did you do in them? If you did good, then you'll have less to work on, if you did worse, try and make up for that lost ground. In any case, it's a case of going over topics you feel you are lacking in, or topics you underperformed on, on the test, and trying to better yourself.
I’m in the same situation, feel like covering everything from year 1 as well as trying to learn/revise all of year 2 is going to be really hard. I’m going to try and think of some sort of method so I’m continuously covering everything and not missing anything out, requires good organisation though. I feel like if I spend time going over year 1 content then il get behind on the year 2 stuff that I’m learning at the time.

I might concentrate on year 2 content, and try and revise year 1 through the holidays (half terms, Christmas, Easter etc)
Reply 4
Original post by potatohouse
Spent maybe 30 mins to 2 hours per subject on yr 1 stuff in the start of yr 2, I was really intimidated by the amount of stuff i’d Have to remember, but tbh when you’re actually doing it it doesn’t seem like a lot. For maths I did a past paper a week (ish) alternating modules (but I did old spec so there was loads of papers), and in exam season I was doing one per day (sometimes redoing ones i’d done before). For bio and geography I split the content into topics or “sections” and would do a bit from each section per week

Really helpful, thank you. I like the idea of doing past papers like that because it'll retain the information without taking too long
Reply 5
Original post by thotproduct
It's always good to remind yourself of the key concepts, as in Year 2, especially for A Level Maths, you will find it much, much harder to do topics without prerequisite knowledge from the first year. So it's a good idea to review what you've done, how long you dedicate on that, will depend. Did you have any mocks/AS tests? How well did you do in them? If you did good, then you'll have less to work on, if you did worse, try and make up for that lost ground. In any case, it's a case of going over topics you feel you are lacking in, or topics you underperformed on, on the test, and trying to better yourself.

I'll definitely go over year 1 topics before the year 2 versions that need that knowledge then, thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by sophieh_234
I’m in the same situation, feel like covering everything from year 1 as well as trying to learn/revise all of year 2 is going to be really hard. I’m going to try and think of some sort of method so I’m continuously covering everything and not missing anything out, requires good organisation though. I feel like if I spend time going over year 1 content then il get behind on the year 2 stuff that I’m learning at the time.

I might concentrate on year 2 content, and try and revise year 1 through the holidays (half terms, Christmas, Easter etc)

I think that could be a very good idea. Alternatively do year 1 on weekends and weekdays do year 2. I feel doing year 1 in holidays could put too much pressure on me but idek

Quick Reply

Latest