The Student Room Group

How can people stand not changing clothes the minute they get inside the house

It seems to me that there's not much difference between a bus seat and your own sofa if you've been rolling about the former and now sat on the latter.

Whenever I get inside, I immediately take shoes off, washes my hands then change clothes and put it inside a cheap £10 Ikea wardrobe exclusively for clothing worn outside, then wash my hands again.

It's just as well I live alone and don't receive visitors, I'd positively cringe if guests came over and sat on the sofa etc.
That’s not normal, tried seeking help?
Reply 2
Do you also have to go through a five-day quarantine before you can get in?
OCD sub-forum ------------------>
Yeah that's not normal…
Original post by nonotyoutoo
It seems to me that there's not much difference between a bus seat and your own sofa if you've been rolling about the former and now sat on the latter.

Whenever I get inside, I immediately take shoes off, washes my hands then change clothes and put it inside a cheap £10 Ikea wardrobe exclusively for clothing worn outside, then wash my hands again.

It's just as well I live alone and don't receive visitors, I'd positively cringe if guests came over and sat on the sofa etc.

Sounds like you have an issue with germs or something and it isn't healthy. Please seek help for this as it can seriously impact your social life.
Yeah, you fall under one of a few OCD categories.
in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with taking off your shoes once inside (why wear shoes in the house when you could be rocking about in socks/barefoot???) or changing into more comfy trousers (self explanatory) or washing your hands (food prep)

but like? in moderation you know? an exclusive "outdoor wear" wardrobe seems a bit extreme. do you do your clothes wash separately too???
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
i also wash my hands and i change clothes, but i change because sweats are more comfortable, not 'cause i'm afraid of germs in that sense. i used to be a bit more paranoid, then i learned it's the things you don't expect that will end up killing you.
That's going a bit over the top, however I do change when I get home purely so that I can be more comfortable.
Original post by turn-to-page394
in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with taking off your shoes once inside (why wear shoes in the house when you could be rocking about in socks/barefoot???) or changing into more comfy trousers (self explanatory) or washing your hands (food prep)

but like? in moderation you know? an exclusive "outdoor wear" wardrobe seems a bit extreme. do you do your clothes wash separately too???

i only wash them separately in the most extreme cases, eg when the toilet plumbing broke and I had to try and fix it. But not normally no.

it seems like most people who have replied are perfectly happy to sit on a bus which may have been sat on by all sorts then sit on their own sofa or bed? that to me seems insanely disgusting.

well, it's a £10 pop up one from Ikea, so it's not expensive or heavy or big etc
Original post by turn-to-page394

I agree.
Minus the separate wardrobe (although I do have separate clothes for in the house vs outside - I've 4 cats and they tend to wreck anything nice!) I can relate. I immediately change when I get home from anywhere. So do my family, former flatmates, etc. Figured it was actually normal to do so!
OP I always was my hands when i get in and am concious if being around others if they have colds etc. I know what you mean about outside public/bus seats often Im conscious of lying on my bed in clothing ive just been out in but i often do it anyway. I just think well any germs that are harmful to me dont survive properly on clothing. Its hard surfaces like phones and door handles etc whetd viruses linger. Washing hands should suffice.
Original post by nonotyoutoo

same lol, i hate being in outside clothing especially jeans and button downs in my house. eww
Reply 15
I take off my work clothes and basically lie naked on my bed for like an hour before I can be ****ed doing anything, rarely get changed properly immediately though
That's not normal. I do understand the whole changing school uniform / work clothes. But normal clothes?
At first I thought this post was about changing out of jeans and into fluffy onesies and then having a cup of tea when watching The Chase.

Like others have said, though, this doesn’t sound too normal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending