Is it weird that I have no interest in driving? Watch

xDarcey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I turned 17 a couple of months ago and my parents have been on my back about learning to drive since the day after my birthday. But... I have zero interest in learning.

All of my friends are excited about starting lessons or getting their licenses, especially the ones who have not yet turned 17, but I just don't care. Both them and my parents look at me like I'm a fool when I repeat for the hundredth time that I don't want to learn right now. In the future, maybe, but not right now. I have no reason to.

All of the places I would have any cause to travel to are within walking distance of my house and on the rare occasion that I'd need to travel further, my parents can drive me or I can take the bus/train.

Is anyone else in the same position as me or am I really just a weirdo for not being interested in learning to drive?
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeah, zero interest whatsoever. :five:
Chickchok
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
yes and im 19 lmao
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by xDarcey)
-snip-
...and on the rare occasion that I'd need to travel further, my parents can drive me

-snip-
wonder if that's partly the problem :rolleyes:

bit late now, but over the summer holidays after turning 17 must be the optimal time of your life to learn to drive.

older you get the harder it is to learn and that starts in your 20s.

assuming you go to uni - you're going to be limited in the jobs you can take if you can't drive - when you graduate and get a job it'll tire you out and take up your time to the extent that it's difficult to fit the lessons in.
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Sounds like me at your age especially now that I'm in a country where you can basically get across it on a train for a tenner if you book in advance. I'm now 30 and still have no interest in driving beyond ticking a box on job application forms, which has actually proven itself to be a major holdback in my life. I'm getting it sorted out now. I still don't care about learning and lessons are a major hassle, but I kind of wish I got on with it back then for no other reason than to have a license ready to go for work.
loginrunner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I never really saw myself driving too much either but I did it anyway because at 17 I think I would have had more free time to learn to drive than I will have when I am older and also if I leave it until I'm older then I would have to pay for driving lessons instead of my parents😂😂😂😂

I just think it's good to do it as soon as possible because your situation might unexpectedly change in the future and you suddenly have a need to drive.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by xDarcey)
I turned 17 a couple of months ago and my parents have been on my back about learning to drive since the day after my birthday. But... I have zero interest in learning.

All of my friends are excited about starting lessons or getting their licenses, especially the ones who have not yet turned 17, but I just don't care. Both them and my parents look at me like I'm a fool when I repeat for the hundredth time that I don't want to learn right now. In the future, maybe, but not right now. I have no reason to.

All of the places I would have any cause to travel to are within walking distance of my house and on the rare occasion that I'd need to travel further, my parents can drive me or I can take the bus/train.

Is anyone else in the same position as me or am I really just a weirdo for not being interested in learning to drive?
Are you parents offering to pay for your lessons? If they are, just do them.

It only gets harder as you age and learning to drive isn't going to get cheaper. You might not need it now, but it's an investment in yourself and it's an essential life skill.
billie mercury
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
At least you aren't scared of driving. Main reason as to why my older sister won't learn to drive.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Are you parents offering to pay for your lessons? If they are, just do them.

It only gets harder as you age and learning to drive isn't going to get cheaper. You might not need it now, but it's an investment in yourself and it's an essential life skill.
I agree.
It will be very useful when you are older- especially when it comes to jobs etc.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You won't be able to rely on your parents or public transport to get you places.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I would just get it over and done with now, especially if your parents are willing to pay. I learnt to drive when I was 17 but didn't actually start driving full time until just recently (I'm 22).
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
it should be illegal for office jobs to require their applicants to drive.
snugglebear
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think it's not that good if you see it as a bit of an inconvenience for you to learn if other people are being inconvenienced by giving you lifts. I could understand if you went everywhere by public transport or if you had reasons why you didn't want to drive like being scared.
xDarcey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
(Original post by snugglebear)
I think it's not that good if you see it as a bit of an inconvenience for you to learn if other people are being inconvenienced by giving you lifts. I could understand if you went everywhere by public transport or if you had reasons why you didn't want to drive like being scared.

I don't believe this is an issue... My parents have never expressed any frustration on the occasions where I've asked them to drive me somewhere and frequently offer to give me a lift themselves if I'm planning on walking or taking public transport. Most of the time I walk or take the bus or train, which isn't a problem for me.

They seem more shocked at the fact that I wasn't excited to start lessons the second I turned 17. They always say things along the lines of "when I was your age, all I wanted to do was drive" when the topic comes up so I get the feeling they're just confused as to why I don't feel the exact same way they did about driving.

Thank you for everyone's replies, anyway. My parents ARE offering to pay for my lessons so I suppose it would be wise to take up their offer now while I have the chance rather than leaving it until it's too late...
JonladG20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I am nearly 60 . I have had no inclination to drive ever ! I live in a busy easy accessible city where a car is an absolute hindrance ! Like you , people are amazed I choose to walk , like a drink after work , don’t want to pay for a deteriorating product , resident parking permit , mot , insurance , petrol ! Hell , phone a cab !!! I have never regretted not driving
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Driving is a boy's thing... sorry, love it or hate it. Do you ride horses? But to be in charge of a ton of speeding metal and... it is you! It is not you in a box... you are the box, the box is you. Only humans seem to possess this ability.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Joinedup)

bit late now, but over the summer holidays after turning 17 must be the optimal time of your life to learn to drive.

older you get the harder it is to learn and that starts in your 20s.

assuming you go to uni - you're going to be limited in the jobs you can take if you can't drive - when you graduate and get a job it'll tire you out and take up your time to the extent that it's difficult to fit the lessons in.
I think it is harder as you get older, partly because you are more aware of the dangers. I was well into my 20s when I learned. If you don't want to learn, then just leave it for now.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I was in your position last year. I didn't really care, my parents/bus pass got me most places (and still do actually :lol:) My parents insisted and I'm glad they did. It's not that I drive all the time or anything but it does mean if on occasion my mum is busy, I can just take the car, I've been known to do the shopping etc.
And the best benefit imo is when you most likely come to drive later, they think you've been driving for however many years and your insurance is cheaper

Given you don't actively not want to drive and your parents are paying do it now while it's cheaper, you've got more free time and you probably have easy access to a car and supervisor to get in some private practice
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Horses are far worse... half a ton with half a mind of its own.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Well I am not interested either, im 19 and just really do not care. Sure I would take lessons and get a license but I would not buy a car or anything, that would be only necessary if I had to travel a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads