Graduate Programme 2019 application support group Watch

Mr XcX
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey all, creating this thread for basically my own piece of mind and also to maybe chat to others whom are going through this 2019 application craze this year.

So far I've been doing on off Psychometric tests in prep and done my year out for work experience.

I am initially going to apply for the Big 4 but also look elsewhere. Might log my progress on here so y'all know the struggle is real and don't feel alone.

Okay so looking at the Big 4 I am freaking out cause the programme I wanted to do for KPMG Business Consulting Graduate Programme 2019 is not showing up on the website for me? Does that mean it is not taking applicants this year? That is my first worry. I don't think Deloitte have opened yet or the other 2. Grant Thornton opens on the 3rd and I'm going for Advisory Resturcturing.

It's day 1 of actual applications and I am officially freaking out
lil.missyx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey!

in the same boat as you, and im genuinely freaking out!!
you mentioned Psychometric tests, what do you use to do these?

ta
Mr XcX
Rep:
?
(Original post by lil.missyx)
hey!

in the same boat as you, and im genuinely freaking out!!
you mentioned Psychometric tests, what do you use to do these?

ta
Hey, Yeah I paid for access to several Psychometric tests online. I went on the website https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/ You can get the bundle pack for £39.99. Using these and plus the additional free ones you can get online from websites should be enough. I hope The thing I like about the website is that it allows multiple Situational Judgement Tests. These are awful IMO and the worst. I legit got a fail from EY Placement year because I failed it. The rest can be practiced but the SJT etc are what is most hardest with the application tests IMO.
Mr XcX
Rep:
?
Anyone else HATE the application processes. I have a job till going back to Uni at end of Sept and filling them out is taking SO LONG!!! I literally don't have enough hours in the day (welcome to the real world I guess). Not to mention I haven't even started preparing for interview technique etc. I've gone so rusty at it. Anyone got any tips for the phone interviews etc, I just freeze on the phone for some reason I don't know why always have. Urgh so awful lol.
Mr XcX
Rep:
?
Sent my first application off to Mazars Audit today. Also finishing my summer job so will have more time to power focus on Graduate applications over 2 weeks. Hopeto fully make some good progress. Desperately need to improve interview technique though. Will keep posting on here though because it oddly is helping. So if its just me I will be blogging endlessly away keeping myself or others reading this updated.
JTR__
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! Good luck with your applications
I'm still at the planning stage of my appplications (making a list of places and deadlines) but I hope to have most done by October except a few Scottish public sector applications. I'm still not 100% set on what I want to do, but I find it interesting to see what other people do so I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread 😅
drgainz1010
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

graduated this year from a target uni however, no internships under my belt - just couldnt be bothered to apply when I was a student

now I have already applied to about 60 for grad schemes, however still waiting for the big4. No chance of me getting into front office roles so im trying for consultancy/finance
fatart123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The PwC career unlocked test or whatever it's called is probably the worst thing I've ever done. Not difficult, but it's a massive waste of time and good luck if you don't happen to have a tablet.

(Original post by drgainz1010)
Hello,

graduated this year from a target uni however, no internships under my belt - just couldnt be bothered to apply when I was a student

now I have already applied to about 60 for grad schemes, however still waiting for the big4. No chance of me getting into front office roles so im trying for consultancy/finance
Haven't done any internships either-- for the same reason. I don't think too many do. None of my friends at uni had done any, despite some of them trying to gain a place on one.
drgainz1010
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fatart123)
The PwC career unlocked test or whatever it's called is probably the worst thing I've ever done. Not difficult, but it's a massive waste of time and good luck if you don't happen to have a tablet.

Haven't done any internships either-- for the same reason. I don't think too many do. None of my friends at uni had done any, despite some of them trying to gain a place on one.
Ah that's good to hear. Literally ALL of my friends have done at least 2/3 internships and now working in IBD in BB's.

I feel much at ease knowing there are people who are in the same position as me!
JTR__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

What's the career unlocked test? I applied for their internship last year but don't remember that part 😅
fatart123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JTR__)
What's the career unlocked test? I applied for their internship last year but don't remember that part 😅
I think it's new for this year. Seems to be their attempt to make the standard verbal and numerical tests a bit more interesting. No idea how over half of the *11* tests the "game" makes you take are at all relevant to the job (5 of them are glorified reaction tests) but what do I know?

Here's the app for it https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llReviews=true
JTR__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it's new for this year. Seems to be their attempt to make the standard verbal and numerical tests a bit more interesting. No idea how over half of the *11* tests the "game" makes you take are at all relevant to the job (5 of them are glorified reaction tests) but what do I know?

Here's the app for it https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llReviews=true
Ouch that sounds painful, RBS used that app last year but there was only one test (and it was unassessed!)

I just had a look through their site and I'm surprised that they've removed the in-person interviews after the AC, replacing it with the video interviews. Everyone I've talked to has said how that personal time with the interviewer gave a better idea of 'fit' within the company, and I believe VIs doesn't allow the same flexibility (my interviewer linked experiences I mentioned to other things in my CV and we had a really good chat overall as we could bounce off one another)

If anyone goes through the application process would you mind letting me know how you felt about it? I'm just curious how much of a difference it will make to candidate experience 😊
Mr XcX
Rep:
?
Took a little bit of break over the Friday / Saturday folks. Been hectic preparing CV's / Interview Prep etc so nice to have a break. Will get back on with Psychometic testing Tomorrow and might send another few applications off also. Will post on here once send and keep y'all up to date if any of them progress
Nivarka
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Deloitte only just closed their 2018 intake a month or so ago. Heck, the 2018 intake haven't even started work yet!

The Deloitte application process was brilliant. There are multiple stages, including information analysis questions, and a video interview which plays out as a typical workplace scenario where problem solving and quick thinking are required.

Everyone I've met so far has been lovely - seriously consider it.
cicici
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Deloitte will open their graduate applications on September 17th 2018.
stulfc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How is the career valuation test, the situational judgement, any tips?
fatart123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stulfc)
How is the career valuation test, the situational judgement, any tips?
Pretty fun, I'd say. The only tips I could give are already on their website. I don't think it's really possible to fail it unless you pick the obviously lazy or weird answers, no? There is one situation where you can be a massive snitch and I was initially 50/50 on whether the 'don't say anything' response was what they'd really want (it is my honest answer) but I picked it and passed that stage anyway.

Oh, actually, there is. Do pay attention during the video bits because unlike other tests (KPMG, for example) they don't really do a summary of what happened and you can't go back and replay them.
Mr XcX
Rep:
?
For the online tests with the ridiculous time limits. EG 14 mins for 30 questions etc if Time is running out should I just gamble and answer as many questions lcan get in the remaining few seconds or does that more likely negatively effect your score?
cicici
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have just successfully completed PwC SJT and I found this link with real prep questions so you can check it if you need help. It is really nicely explained. There is no time running, you just need to focus. There are 3-4 tricky questions, the rest is pretty straight, but maybe I am not objective as I read explanations to solutions :-).
kasey99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mr XcX)
For the online tests with the ridiculous time limits. EG 14 mins for 30 questions etc if Time is running out should I just gamble and answer as many questions lcan get in the remaining few seconds or does that more likely negatively effect your score?
I don't think so. Time is not running out you just can't repeat the videos, but the question stays on the screen until you complete it. I wouldn't agree that it was so easy to pass as 4-5 questions were very tricky but I was fortunate to get the proper material, really if you need help I'd suggest you to visit graduate job guide co uk. I heard that Deloitte is changing their application process again this year, EY as well? Do you know anything about that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (46)
31.72%
No (76)
52.41%
Don't know (23)
15.86%

Watched Threads