Upset and confused about A-Level Results

Watch
jennyh14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I usually hate using the student room for advice because some of the replies can be questionable, but I am in such a turmoil that I’m going to go against my better judgement and use it anyway. So I got into UoM to do Eng Lit this year, but I got ABC at A-Level. I’m disappointed with my results for a few reasons. One is that at GCSE I did really well (3 A*, 6 A, 1 B) and so when I started A-Levels I expected to come out with 3 As (ha). Another reason is that I feel the education system has failed me to some extent (please hear me out). My A was for psychology whichever i am obviously over the moon about, my B was for RS which I’m not overly gutted about (I revised hard but not smart), and would you believe it, the C was for English Lit (yet I still got into an Eng Lit course). No matter how hard I tried to understand the assessment objectives for Eng Lit essays (OCR), in my 2 tears of A-Levels I never got above a B. For GCSE my 2 A*s were for Eng Lit and Eng Lang, so I don’t believe that it was my overall lack in ability to do the subject. I truly believe that the marking system for OCR Eng Lit was unfair because I don’t believe this C grade accurately reflects my ability for the subject. Also, I suppose the fact that you need 86% for an A doesn’t help either (IMO, ridiculously high!) I know this isn’t really a question, but any thoughts on my situation would be helpful. I am getting one of my papers remarked for Eng Lit with the hope that I can get my grade to a B.
alws
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jennyh14)
I usually hate using the student room for advice because some of the replies can be questionable, but I am in such a turmoil that I’m going to go against my better judgement and use it anyway. So I got into UoM to do Eng Lit this year, but I got ABC at A-Level. I’m disappointed with my results for a few reasons. One is that at GCSE I did really well (3 A*, 6 A, 1 B) and so when I started A-Levels I expected to come out with 3 As (ha). Another reason is that I feel the education system has failed me to some extent (please hear me out). My A was for psychology whichever i am obviously over the moon about, my B was for RS which I’m not overly gutted about (I revised hard but not smart), and would you believe it, the C was for English Lit (yet I still got into an Eng Lit course). No matter how hard I tried to understand the assessment objectives for Eng Lit essays (OCR), in my 2 tears of A-Levels I never got above a B. For GCSE my 2 A*s were for Eng Lit and Eng Lang, so I don’t believe that it was my overall lack in ability to do the subject. I truly believe that the marking system for OCR Eng Lit was unfair because I don’t believe this C grade accurately reflects my ability for the subject. Also, I suppose the fact that you need 86% for an A doesn’t help either (IMO, ridiculously high!) I know this isn’t really a question, but any thoughts on my situation would be helpful. I am getting one of my papers remarked for Eng Lit with the hope that I can get my grade to a B.
Really sorry to hear you aren't pleased with your grades, but remember they are by no means terrible and you got into the university and course you wanted. Also, do remember that grades aren't everything (sorry for the cliche phrase) but you are still as good at english as you were before the exam, it doesn't change your talent for english, the grade just tells you how well you filled the criteria of a few exams. Exams are certainly not the ultimate test of talent and skill, just the commonly accepted way to do so at the moment, I am sure many English Professors would not get As at A-level because it is so different to what you will study later on. Good luck and well done!
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I felt the same don’t worry! We have very similar grades at GCSE and A level and I was equally disappointed with my A levels despite still getting into my first choice uni. Just to give you some positive news, I’ve just finished my 2nd year at uni and have achieved a high 2.1 and just generally have felt much more comfortable writing at a uni level - like you, I never worked out A level marking and struggled to get above Bs/Cs but the flexibility of uni has been beneficial for me (I’m in no way saying it’s easy or trying to be cocky to be clear! The assessment and marking style just suits me better).

I know you’re disappointed with your results but try and feel pleased that you’re going to a great uni and channel that disappointment into doing well at uni

Fingers crossed for your remark!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads