The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I’m looking at Sheffield and hoping that their UKCAT cutoff doesn’t exclude me :smile: it’s a risky choice but I attended the open day on Saturday and loved it, so I think worth the risk.

My profile is:

GCSEs: 10A*s, 1 A (German)
A-Level predictions: A*, A*, A
EPQ: no grade as yet
UKCAT: 675 band 2
Work experience: 3 days in hospital, local charity volunteering with disabled children, NHS Foundation Trust volunteering with the elderly. Family business - various tasks, flu jab clinic, stable yard management
Extra curricular: Biology year prize, 1st in school essay competition, Cambridge masterclass, cricket, horse riding, school choir

Sheffield only look at UKCAT, as long as you pass their entry criteria, they definitely don’t look at the PS, the Head of Admissions stated this a couple of times.

The accommodation is fab. I only saw the en-suite accommodation halls but room prices range from £140-£150 per week.

Good luck everyone
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm also hoping to apply for Sheffield - I absolutely loved the open day! I'm a bit confused about their EPQ policy though - I'm currently predictedthree As and an A in EPQ, but what would happen if I got an offer for AAB plus EPQ, and then I got a B in my EPQ but 3 As? Would I then fail to meet the terms of the offer or would they take the 3 As?
I think you need to have obtained an A*\A in your EPQ to get an offer of AAB
Just copied this from their website:

Where an appliant is taking an EPQ alongside A Levels and is predicted to attain a Grade A or A*, predicted A Level grades of AAB are acceptable.;
Where an applicant is taking an EPQ alongside A Levels but is predicted to attain less than a grade A in their EPQ, they will be required to have or be predicted to attain AAA at A Level.
Hi guys, I'm about to start my first year of medicine. I received an offer from sheffield so any questions please ask!
Original post by medicine4688
Hi guys, I'm about to start my first year of medicine. I received an offer from sheffield so any questions please ask!

Good luck...let us know what it’s like 😊
Hi all. I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions at Sheffield.

Having found this thread I will keep an eye on it from time to time, so that I can address any issues and correct any misunderstandings I cannot comment on individual applications here.

Having looked through the thread so far I've found a few things worth noting.

i am delighted you found the open days helpful.

If you are taking or have taken an EPQ we will require AAA at A level or AAB (with an A in Chemistry or Biology) and an A or A* EPQ. If we make you an offer of AAB at A-Level plus A at EPQ and you then attained AAA at A Level and a B (or less) at EPQ, that would be fine. You would be required to meet either the requirements for those who have not taken an EPQ (which are AAA at A Level) OR the requirements for those who have taken an EPQ (AAB + A/A*). Worry not!

It is correct that we do not consider or read personal statements at Sheffield Medical School.

I hope that helps! Remember the admissions team in the medical school is always happy to hear from you!

Good luck!

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions (Sheffield)
Reply 8
Original post by The University of Sheffield

Spoiler

Ah, the famous Julian is back.
Could you explain what NOWPAS is, please? Couldn't find any information about it anywhere.
Reply 9
Can’t find any info about Sheffield’s re-sit criteria for this year. I know it’s the first year for accepting re-sits.
Hello all

Well, I do not know about "famous"! But I am aware that I am 'the darling Julian' on Mumsnet.

I do not know what "NOWPAS" stands for - can you elaborate?

Regarding resits: we will accept a first resit in any subject and at any level, without requiring the submission of a disrupted studies application. Any and all GCSE resits must be taken together, and you need only resit those GCSEs that did not reach our requirements, in order to reach our requirement. Any and all A-Level resits must be taken together, and you need only resit those A levels that did not reach our requirements, in order to reach our requirement. There is information on our admissions webpages: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire

We require you to demonstrate that you can reach our minimum requirements but we do NOT require you to demonstrate that you can exceed it. So, if you attained a B in Biology at A Level and choose to resit it, we require an A, not an A*, on resit.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions
Reply 11
Thank you for the clarification. See you next year 👍
Hi all. I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions at Sheffield.

Having found this thread I will keep an eye on it from time to time, so that I can address any issues and correct any misunderstandings I cannot comment on individual applications here.

Having looked through the thread so far I've found a few things worth noting.

i am delighted you found the open days helpful.

If you are taking or have taken an EPQ we will require AAA at A level or AAB (with an A in Chemistry or Biology) and an A or A* EPQ. If we make you an offer of AAB at A-Level plus A at EPQ and you then attained AAA at A Level and a B (or less) at EPQ, that would be fine. You would be required to meet either the requirements for those who have not taken an EPQ (which are AAA at A Level) OR the requirements for those who have taken an EPQ (AAB + A/A*). Worry not!

It is correct that we do not consider or read personal statements at Sheffield Medical School.

I hope that helps! Remember the admissions team in the medical school is always happy to hear from you!

Good luck!

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions (Sheffield)

Hi Julian
Please can you confirm if A-levels will be looked at for graduates?
Thanks
Hello all

Well, I do not know about "famous"! But I am aware that I am 'the darling Julian' on Mumsnet.

Regarding resits: we will accept a first resit in any subject and at any level, without requiring the submission of a disrupted studies application. Any and all GCSE resits must be taken together, and you need only resit those GCSEs that did not reach our requirements, in order to reach our requirement. Any and all A-Level resits must be taken together, and you need only resit those A levels that did not reach our requirements, in order to reach our requirement. There is information on our admissions webpages: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire

We require you to demonstrate that you can reach our minimum requirements but we do NOT require you to demonstrate that you can exceed it. So, if you attained a B in Biology at A Level and choose to resit it, we require an A, not an A*, on resit.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes

Julian

Hey Julian, I am thinking of applying through the widening participation entry but I’m not sure how I can make it clear through UCAS that I am. how will the admissions know that I’m applying through widening participation?
Reply 14
Hi guys,
Looking for some advice as to whether I should apply here.
I have got 757.5 Band 2 in the UKCAT and 8A* 2A at GCSE and predicted 3A* at A-level.
I am worried about the Band 2, as I understand this is scored at interview.
Is it worth the risk?
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m another Sheffield hopeful for 2019

My stats are
GCSE 6xA*, 4xA, 2xB
A level predicted 3xA* (no pressure then!)
UKCAT 720 band 1

I’m also applying to Kings, Notts, and probably Bristol.

Really enjoyed the open day, even with the rain

Good luck guys 😎
Reply 17
Hello all

Spoiler

I'm not completely sure what it stands for either but it seems to be a widening participation scheme thats been emailed to people who got rejected from SOAMS last year.
Hello all

To pick up on a variety of points:

1. Yes, we look at A Levels for graduate applicants - you will need BBB at A Level and a 2:1 (specific subject requirements vary between A100 and A101 and there are details on our webpages at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying

2. NOWPAS turns out to be the National Online Widening Participation Access Scheme, which I understand is being piloted. However, it does not alter our entry criteria and we do not consider it as a route of entry.

3. When you are applying though UCAS it should give you an option to indicate whether you are participating in a widening participation scheme. The two we consider in Sheffield are SOAMS and Realising Opportunities. (We have ways to cross reference and check.) If you are applying for A101 you can either download our WP questionnaire (here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.787622!/file/A101WPQuestionairreFinal.pdf) and submit it to the medical school, or we will send it to you when we recieve your application. Otherwise, widening participation criteria are not considered.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes

Julian
Reply 19
Hello all

To pick up on a variety of points:

1. Yes, we look at A Levels for graduate applicants - you will need BBB at A Level and a 2:1 (specific subject requirements vary between A100 and A101 and there are details on our webpages at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying

2. NOWPAS turns out to be the National Online Widening Participation Access Scheme, which I understand is being piloted. However, it does not alter our entry criteria and we do not consider it as a route of entry.

3. When you are applying though UCAS it should give you an option to indicate whether you are participating in a widening participation scheme. The two we consider in Sheffield are SOAMS and Realising Opportunities. (We have ways to cross reference and check.) If you are applying for A101 you can either download our WP questionnaire (here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.787622!/file/A101WPQuestionairreFinal.pdf) and submit it to the medical school, or we will send it to you when we recieve your application. Otherwise, widening participation criteria are not considered.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes

Julian

Hi Julian

I am currently a PhD student in Cardiovascular Science, however I have always aspired to become a doctor, specifically a cardiologist. I graduated with a 2.1 (Hons) in Biomedical Science in 2013 and MSc in Biomedical Blood Science in 2014. I hope to complete my PhD in 2018 (September) in which case I hope to begin graduate entry medicine in 2019 and will finish in 2023. I have also done work experience and voluntary work in a hospital and a care home (2012-2014) and currently volunteer in domiciliary care. In addition to this, i have also been a private tutor and am involved with trials and studies at the University Hospital in CVD.

I do have some questions:

Is the level of my work experience sufficient for me to apply this year?

Does achieving a PhD give me an advantage in getting a place to study medicine since I know some registrars and doctors choose to do a PhD after their medical degree.

If I begin my medical degree in 2019, I will be 27 years old and graduate at the age of 31. Am I too old for medicine? Will this be a disadvantage compared to graduates who would be 7-8 years my junior?

What is the UKCAT cutoff for interview or what has it been for previous years for both A100 and A101? i.e should i receive a ukcat score above 2470 will i get an interview? last year i got 2680 band 3, based on this would that be enough for an interview??

Sheffield seem to have a higher interview cut off than others.

I am from Stoke on Trent and therefore meet the requirements for Widening Participation criteria.
Finally, am i correct to say that i would be eligible for student finance and NHS bursary too since i am a UK national and this is a GEM course?
Regards

Latest