Sheffield A100 medicine 2019 undergrad entry Watch

msd9179
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, when will we hear about the ukcat cut off score needed for interview this year ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by leah.27)
Hi, i’m about to apply to medicine at sheffield with a UKCAT score of 2480. I’ve read that this just reaches the threshold of 2470, but how is the UKCAT score ranked to see who goes to interview? Will I be at a disadvantage with my score of 2480?
Applicants are ranked on their UKCAT score, a cut off will be decided upon and all those above it will be invited for interview. Last year the cut off was 672.5, though I think Sheffield are planning on interviewing more people this year
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by msd9179)
Hi, when will we hear about the ukcat cut off score needed for interview this year ?
Med school websites are a font of useful information

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ng/whathappens
The University of Sheffield
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello all

You can see a timeline of our selection process on our webpages here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ng/whathappens (I strongly encourage you to read these web pages if you are thinking about applying to us, because they do set out what we do!) I expect that we will stick to that timeline - we did last year and the year before. Thus I expect that invitations to interview will be sent out between 7-12th November. We will post the UKCAT cut score on this webpage once it has been calculated.

How is the UKCAT score ranked? Um - from highest to lowest! So we look at your total score out of 3600 and use that number to rank applicants. (UKCAT scores often get quoted on TSR as an average - e.g. 672 - but we do not consider the UKCAT like that. Total score only.) We will rank Home students separately to International students. If we rank A101 applicants by UKCAT score we will rank them separately to A100 students.

I do not know whether a score of 2480 will be high enough to survive ranking or not - it depends on the UKCAT scores of those who apply and how many apply. We are planning to invite a total of 1300 people to interview this year (whereas last year we invited 900) because we have more places available for 2019 entry.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions
NoIdeaWthImdoing
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
International student here with the following stats:
Igcse: 8A*s
AS level grades: 5As
A level predicted grades: 3A*s
UKCAT: 2620 (top 29%) band 2
IELTS: 7.5 overall with 6.5 in writing
Already applied for the university in my UCAS account.
Are my grades competitive enough?
L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The University of Sheffield)
Hello all

You can see a timeline of our selection process on our webpages here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ng/whathappens (I strongly encourage you to read these web pages if you are thinking about applying to us, because they do set out what we do!) I expect that we will stick to that timeline - we did last year and the year before. Thus I expect that invitations to interview will be sent out between 7-12th November. We will post the UKCAT cut score on this webpage once it has been calculated.

How is the UKCAT score ranked? Um - from highest to lowest! So we look at your total score out of 3600 and use that number to rank applicants. (UKCAT scores often get quoted on TSR as an average - e.g. 672 - but we do not consider the UKCAT like that. Total score only.) We will rank Home students separately to International students. If we rank A101 applicants by UKCAT score we will rank them separately to A100 students.

I do not know whether a score of 2480 will be high enough to survive ranking or not - it depends on the UKCAT scores of those who apply and how many apply. We are planning to invite a total of 1300 people to interview this year (whereas last year we invited 900) because we have more places available for 2019 entry.

Best wishes

Julian
Hi,

I’m applying with ABD achieved grades at a level, and an A in EPQ. I am resitting the B and D grades, however if I was made an offer would it be AAB due to already obtaining an A in EPQ? Thanks in advance
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello!

That is a good question. My view is that if you have an A or A* in an EPQ you need to then meet the A level requirements (AAB) for applicants who have that EPQ.

So yes, you need to bring your A levels up to AAB. Of course, you should aim to bring your A Levels up to the best that you can (because aiming for a particular grade is dangerous if you miscalculate - and we want you to do your best!). If I made you an offer it would be for AAB (taking into account your EPQ. If you had not attained an A/A* EPQ my offer would be AAA).

Best wishes

Julian
L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello!

That is a good question. My view is that if you have an A or A* in an EPQ you need to then meet the A level requirements (AAB) for applicants who have that EPQ.

So yes, you need to bring your A levels up to AAB. Of course, you should aim to bring your A Levels up to the best that you can (because aiming for a particular grade is dangerous if you miscalculate - and we want you to do your best!). If I made you an offer it would be for AAB (taking into account your EPQ. If you had not attained an A/A* EPQ my offer would be AAA).

Best wishes

Julian
Thanks for your help Julian. Of course I’ll be aiming for those A*s
Dyscopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sheffield > all other unis out there :ninja:

I encourage everyone to apply :yep:
Ckh-66
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi all. I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions at Sheffield.

Having found this thread I will keep an eye on it from time to time, so that I can address any issues and correct any misunderstandings I cannot comment on individual applications here.

Having looked through the thread so far I've found a few things worth noting.

i am delighted you found the open days helpful.

If you are taking or have taken an EPQ we will require AAA at A level or AAB (with an A in Chemistry or Biology) and an A or A* EPQ. If we make you an offer of AAB at A-Level plus A at EPQ and you then attained AAA at A Level and a B (or less) at EPQ, that would be fine. You would be required to meet either the requirements for those who have not taken an EPQ (which are AAA at A Level) OR the requirements for those who have taken an EPQ (AAB + A/A*). Worry not!

It is correct that we do not consider or read personal statements at Sheffield Medical School.

I hope that helps! Remember the admissions team in the medical school is always happy to hear from you!

Good luck!

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions (Sheffield)
Hi, how do you view EPQ grades on applications from graduates? If they received an A*/A but A levels of BBC would that be regarded in the same way as you've stated above for school leavers, or do the graduates still need to have acheived BBB? Also when declaring results on UCAS, should resit applicants state their original A levels as well as their resits? Thanks in advance!
Hollie.olivia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I'm hoping that Julian replies to this as I really loved the style of teaching at Sheffield (the dissection)!! And would love to go there but am unsure if my ukcat would be too low. I was wondering if anyone knows what the cutoff for interview would have been last year if they had invited 400 mom to interview (as they are this year)?
Thanks, Hollie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello all

We don't consider EPQs for graduates, who will need BBB at A Level (but we do still accept A Level resits). You should declare all of your qualifications on your UCAS application, including first sits and resits. (An incomplete declaration can invalidate an application.)

We have not calculated what the UKCAT cut point would have been had we invited more people last year for interview. (It would, I think, be pointless to do so, because you are not competing against last year's cohort, and the mean UKCAT score is different this year.)

Best wishes

Julian
tictaqs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello all

Best wishes

Julian
Hiya Julian, I have applied to study medicine at Sheffield and I love the uni, however the interview process is making me nervous and I was wondering, does Sheffield prefer interviewees to be more formal or to have a laid back approach? Also were any students for 2018 entry accepted with ABB grades including EPQ? Thank you!
ukprospective
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello all

We don't consider EPQs for graduates, who will need BBB at A Level (but we do still accept A Level resits). You should declare all of your qualifications on your UCAS application, including first sits and resits. (An incomplete declaration can invalidate an application.)

We have not calculated what the UKCAT cut point would have been had we invited more people last year for interview. (It would, I think, be pointless to do so, because you are not competing against last year's cohort, and the mean UKCAT score is different this year.)

Best wishes

Julian
Posting my stats on here:

- I am a Canadian gradute with a Bachelor's of Science in Biological Sciences four year undergraduate degree from 2013-2017 with a 3.3/4.0 cumulative GPA (2.1 upper second class).

- I scored 87% in my Biology IB year 12 course
- 96% in my Chemistry IB year 12 course
- 98% in my English IB year 12 course
- 85% in my Social Studies year 12 course
- 97% in my Math year 12 course
- 96% in my Work Experience year 12 options course.
- I completed year 12 with a cumulative GPA of 93.12.

- My UKCAT scores were 2500 band 3 (I know.. )

- I have sat as president, vice president, director of communications and marketing for organizations including UNICEF, Canadian Foundation for AIDS and Research, the Edmonton World Health Organization, and the Heart and Stroke Foundation Students Association. I have shadowed at two hospitals under the department of neurology and department of orthopaedics, completed my research internships with doctors and professors in New York, Edmonton Canada and Calgary Canada, as well as have first and second authorship on two publications via the American Society of Nephrology (ASN).

Julian, does the UKCAT cutoff listed on the website for Sheffield differ for international and home students? Or is it the same? And is there a place where I can know the number of spots available for international students out of the 1800 spots?

Thanks so much!
ukprospective
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello Sella

This has already been answered on our webpages (see: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ng/whathappens)

We are planning on inviting 1300 applicants to interview.

We have not yet determined how many offers we will make (we will decide this when we make the offers) but I anticipate it will be approximately 800 in total.

Best wishes

Julian
Sorry my question should've read as how many of the 1800 interview offers will be for international students? Thanks!
chateau55
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
[QUOTE=ukprospective;80103626]Sorry my question should've read as how many of the 1800 interview offers will be for international students? Thanks![/QUOTE

This is from the documnet: ADMISSIONS POLICY – MEDICINE MBChB A100, 2018-2019 Admissions Cycle

Typically, approximately 1150 Home/EU applications (including SOAMS/RO) and approximately 150 Overseas applications will be invited to interview.
Last edited by chateau55; 2 months ago
ukprospective
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by chateau55)
(Original post by ukprospective)
Sorry my question should've read as how many of the 1800 interview offers will be for international students? Thanks![/QUOTE

This is from the documnet: ADMISSIONS POLICY – MEDICINE MBChB A100, 2018-2019 Admissions Cycle

Typically, approximately 1150 Home/EU applications (including SOAMS/RO) and approximately 150 Overseas applications will be invited to interview.
Thank you! Just did the calculations and that's a 0.008% success rate for international applicants lol.. guess I will stick with my other choices haha! Good luck to everyone applying
fullbringer13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, an international student on a gap year here. I just need to confirm something. Sheffield requires a minimum of 8 GCSEs, but I only 6 (3A* and 3A), with achieved A*AA and an A in AS Physics. My UKCAT score is 2740 B2. I also did my AS with the CIE in 2015 when I was 15 and got Bs and then had to move to Wales and restart A-levels with the WJEC. It would be inadvisable of me to apply due to my lack of 2 more GCSEs and/or the fact that I restarted my A-levels after already having done AS once, wouldn't it? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello all

I spy some errors here!

First of all - I am planning to invite approx 100 overseas applicants to interview this year. Success rate of course depends on the number of applicants, but in the last cycle, when we had 256 places in total (including our 18 international places) we had 246 overseas applicants, of whom 49 received an offer - that meant we had 13.7 applicants per place and approx one fifth received an offer. That's a success rate of approx 20%, not 0.008%! We have 18 international places available again this year.

When it comes to UKCAT ranking, International applicants are ranked separately to Home applicants. Coincidentally the cut point was the same for both groups last year, but this was coincidence. It can be different. The minimum requirement (2470/3600) is the same for all applicants.

Sheffield does NOT require a minimum of 8 GCSEs! We require a minimum of five A grades. If these five A grades include Maths, English Language and (a) Science that's all you need to meet our GCSE requirement. If you do not have A grades in those subjects, you'll need a grade B in them.

We do not consider AS grades at all - we just ignore them.

We accept resits. If your progression has been non-standard, then it might be advisable to submit a disrupted studies application alongside your UCAS application to explain what happened. However, provided the subject requirements have been met, A*A*AAAA at GCSE and A*AA at A level exceeds our academic entry requirements. This is, of course, generic advice and it is sensible if you are unsure to contact [email protected], setting out in detail your qualifications, and asking whether that meets our requirements.

Regarding AAB+EPQ: This is the first time we have considered the EPQ as part of our academic entry criteria. We did not consider the EPQ last year. (Our requirement is AAB at A Level plus an A or A* EPQ taken in the same 2 years as A Levels. Chemistry or Biology should be at grade A)

Regarding interviews - what interviewers are really looking for is for you to be yourself. You will likely do much better at the MMI if you are yourself and tell us what you actually think than if you recite answers (I hate that) that you think we want to hear. The point of the interview (be it MMI or panel) is to allow the university a chance to get to know the candidate better. Your job is not to try to guess what we are thinking, or what you think we want to hear. You are allowed your own opinions, and they do not have to be the same as ours!

It is normal to be nervous at interview. We are not trying to make you nervous - and we will make allowance for nerves.

I hope that helps (and calms a few nerves!)

Best wishes

Julian
fullbringer13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello all

I spy some errors here!

First of all - I am planning to invite approx 100 overseas applicants to interview this year. Success rate of course depends on the number of applicants, but in the last cycle, when we had 256 places in total (including our 18 international places) we had 246 overseas applicants, of whom 49 received an offer - that meant we had 13.7 applicants per place and approx one fifth received an offer. That's a success rate of approx 20%, not 0.008%! We have 18 international places available again this year.

When it comes to UKCAT ranking, International applicants are ranked separately to Home applicants. Coincidentally the cut point was the same for both groups last year, but this was coincidence. It can be different. The minimum requirement (2470/3600) is the same for all applicants.

Sheffield does NOT require a minimum of 8 GCSEs! We require a minimum of five A grades. If these five A grades include Maths, English Language and (a) Science that's all you need to meet our GCSE requirement. If you do not have A grades in those subjects, you'll need a grade B in them.

We do not consider AS grades at all - we just ignore them.

We accept resits. If your progression has been non-standard, then it might be advisable to submit a disrupted studies application alongside your UCAS application to explain what happened. However, provided the subject requirements have been met, A*A*AAAA at GCSE and A*AA at A level exceeds our academic entry requirements. This is, of course, generic advice and it is sensible if you are unsure to contact [email protected], setting out in detail your qualifications, and asking whether that meets our requirements.

Regarding AAB+EPQ: This is the first time we have considered the EPQ as part of our academic entry criteria. We did not consider the EPQ last year. (Our requirement is AAB at A Level plus an A or A* EPQ taken in the same 2 years as A Levels. Chemistry or Biology should be at grade A)

Regarding interviews - what interviewers are really looking for is for you to be yourself. You will likely do much better at the MMI if you are yourself and tell us what you actually think than if you recite answers (I hate that) that you think we want to hear. The point of the interview (be it MMI or panel) is to allow the university a chance to get to know the candidate better. Your job is not to try to guess what we are thinking, or what you think we want to hear. You are allowed your own opinions, and they do not have to be the same as ours!

It is normal to be nervous at interview. We are not trying to make you nervous - and we will make allowance for nerves.

I hope that helps (and calms a few nerves!)

Best wishes

Julian
Hi, Julian.
Thank you so much. I've been stressing out about this for the past couple weeks and now I can at least apply to Sheffield knowing that I at least meet the minimum criteria.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.91%
No (698)
73.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise