The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi Julian,

I just wanted to confirm when we apply on UCAS to Sheffield University, is the course 'Medicine (Phase 1) A100' as the Phase 1 bit confused me but I couldn't find any other option? Thanks.
Julian you are a legend! Thank you for answering everyones questions on here! I noticed you were also the one who sent out the thank you for applying emails! I hope you have time to relax also lol. You gave alot of good information so thanks again!
Hello all

This is still me - the University is sorting out its TSR account, which may take some time. For the meantime, I am here on this one.

Linalolo - it is my pleasure. Not for nothing am I known as St Julian and Darling Julian on Mumsnet!

Cocoalazy - yes, that's the one. Our 5 year programme is A100.

Regarding applying following the Foundation Year at Bradford - you should note that that route of entry opens in the Summer next year. If you are now reading Bradford's BSc Clinical Sciences and apply now, we will judge you by our standard academic entry requirements (AAAAA at GCSE and AAA at A Level). My advice is that you wait until the Summer! If you read the B991 programme and then did not go forwards onto the B900 programme, you can apply now - but you will need to have taken the UKCAT.

Please note that my responses may be infrequent over the next few days - I am in London to chair an international conference.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions
University of Sheffield Medical School
That's mad! International conferences, director of admissions, and not to mention all the other things you do like tsr etc.! Do you even get to rest at all !? You should also be called super Julian. It is so refreshing to see how dedicated you are at answering questions for students, there have been unis that I was completely lost in the admissions process , and ended up losing a valuable UCAS choice with. I am a resitter so my choices were limited however I was so glad to find that sheffield are accepting resits this year. For many students (especially when their sixth forms are smaller and dont have much knowledge on medical schools), thinking of which uni to apply to can be a real struggle! So thanks again for all your help.
Hey Guys,

We are a couple of first-year medical students @ University of Sheffield. We know how stressful this time of the year is for you lot, and we both were very grateful to the student room for advice and information it gave us last year, so we decided to do the same and help you guys out with any question relating to anything to do with Sheffield or the medical application process/program.

Feel free to contact us on here or just send us an email:

Basim: [email protected]
Idrhys: [email protected]

Good luck to you all, hope to see you next year
Original post by ShefMedAdmission
Hello all

This is still me - the University is sorting out its TSR account, which may take some time. For the meantime, I am here on this one.

Linalolo - it is my pleasure. Not for nothing am I known as St Julian and Darling Julian on Mumsnet!

Cocoalazy - yes, that's the one. Our 5 year programme is A100.

Regarding applying following the Foundation Year at Bradford - you should note that that route of entry opens in the Summer next year. If you are now reading Bradford's BSc Clinical Sciences and apply now, we will judge you by our standard academic entry requirements (AAAAA at GCSE and AAA at A Level). My advice is that you wait until the Summer! If you read the B991 programme and then did not go forwards onto the B900 programme, you can apply now - but you will need to have taken the UKCAT.

Please note that my responses may be infrequent over the next few days - I am in London to chair an international conference.

Best wishes

Julian
University of Sheffield Medical School

Thank you for clearing that up! I can confirm that I have read the B991 programme and did not continue onto the B990. I’ve also taken my UKCAT. Do you know when I can expect to hear back regarding interviews, would it be the same as normal applicants or sometime in the summer? Also, all the best for your conference 😊
Hello all

Well, that has been an interesting few days - discussing issues affecting pathology globally with other presidents of pathology.

All those that we want to interview will be invited in November. If you are applying with B991 (see posts above) then we'll need you to confirm your widening participation status and we'll send you the form when we look at your application.

Best wishes

Julian
Hi Julian,

Can I ask a quick question please? My school have added an extenuating circumstances thing onto my ucas form for medical reasons. Do I also need to complete a disrupted studies form? This would just duplicate information already submitted by my school. If I do need to do this, would you request it when my application is read or should I do it sooner? I meet your academic criteria, my UKCAT score exceeds your previous cutoff by a decent margin, and I’ve received the confirmation email saying that my application has reached you.

Thank you
Hello all

If applicants want us to consider disrupted studies then they should submit a disrupted studies form. Before doing so, please read our disrupted studies policy, which you can find at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.782334!/file/Disruptedstudies2019Entry.pdf

Please note that we accept first resits in all qualifications without the need for a disrupted studies application.

Best wishes

Julian
Original post by ShefMedAdmission
Hello all

If applicants want us to consider disrupted studies then they should submit a disrupted studies form. Before doing so, please read our disrupted studies policy, which you can find at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.782334!/file/Disruptedstudies2019Entry.pdf

Please note that we accept first resits in all qualifications without the need for a disrupted studies application.

Best wishes

Julian

Could you check your inbox please 😊
Hello

Yes - you should check yours!

Best wishes

Julian
Hello all

And relax ...

The application deadline passed at 6pm this evening. So now leave the fretting to us. I'm not relaxing, because I am looking at the applications.

Good luck.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions.
Hello all!

And we're off!

We have received your applications. Almost all applicants will now have received an acknowledgement email from me. (If you have not, this does not necessarily mean that we have not received your application. Our system will not let me send emails to you if you have either declared a criminal conviction, have not declared that you do not have a criminal conviction, or if you are <17 years old. You do not need to take any action regarding this).

For A101 applicants, my acknowledgement email will have included our Widening Participation form. If you have already sent a completed copy of this form in to the medical school, you do not need to do so again - my team will append it to your application in due course. For some A101 applicants we will be in touch to find out more information about your degree (to see if it has sufficient anatomy and physiology).

What happens now? Myself and the team will now be scrutinising the applications to see whether they meet our minimum academic entry criteria or not. This process will take us 2-3 weeks. We then receive your UKCAT scores from the UKCAT consortium. For applicants who meet the minimum academic entry criteria we then look to see whether they meet our minimum UKCAT requirement or not. UKCAT ranking then takes place. SOAMS and RO applicants are not ranked by UKCAT score. A100 Home and A100 International applicants are ranked separately. I do not know yet whether we will need to rank A101 applicants. When this has been done we will post the cut points from ranking on our webpages. We then invite those who have made it to the interview stage to interview. Those not invited (either because they did not meet the academic and/or UKCAT requirements or because they did not survive the ranking process) will hear from us later.

We are currently on schedule and I expect that we will keep to the schedule set out on our admissions webpages.

Best wishes and good luck

Julian
Original post by MZI3
Ukcat 2650 band 3
BSc biomedical sciences 2.1 MSc blood science merit and PhD cardiovascular sciences pending due to finish in 2018

Sheffield a101 widening participation ...

Based on the ukcat and sjt... I'm highly unlikely to get an interview Right?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5631610&p=80193512#post80193512

Here's a thread for us. Band 3 is risky as it would give you the second lowest MMI score for the virtual station. Also note you need to fufill two of the WP criteria to be considered.
Original post by Jsheridan
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5631610&p=80193512#post80193512

Here's a thread for us. Band 3 is risky as it would give you the second lowest MMI score for the virtual station. Also note you need to fufill two of the WP criteria to be considered.

Original post by MZI3
Ukcat 2650 band 3
BSc biomedical sciences 2.1 MSc blood science merit and PhD cardiovascular sciences pending due to finish in 2018

I’m pretty sure it says that they don’t know whether or not they will rank a101 candidates yet. If they do I still think you should believe in yourself because you have a strong UKCAT score. As for the band 3, I wouldn’t worry about it until you get to the interview stage. Hopefully you can make up for the fewer points by performing really well at your other interview stations!
Reply 95
@MZ13
I know someone who had a band 3 last year and was made an offer. Just be yourself on the day and do your best! All will be well:smile:
Original post by mammy1
@MZ13
I know someone who had a band 3 last year and was made an offer. Just be yourself on the day and do your best! All will be well:smile:

And I think this year a higher percentage of people got Band 3 as well
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by CocoaIzzy
And I think this year a higher percentage of people got Band 3 as well

Yes, only 2% between band 2 & 3 this year
Original post by BasimMajid
Hey Guys,

We are a couple of first-year medical students @ University of Sheffield. We know how stressful this time of the year is for you lot, and we both were very grateful to the student room for advice and information it gave us last year, so we decided to do the same and help you guys out with any question relating to anything to do with Sheffield or the medical application process/program.

Feel free to contact us on here or just send us an email:

Basim: [email protected]
Idrhys: [email protected]

Good luck to you all, hope to see you next year

What do you guys like the most about the med school and what's the general atmosphere like? And what's Sheffield like as a city?
Original post by MZI3
Ukcat 2650 band 3

Hey! Not sure if anyone else replied to this question but I'm just reading through the thread as a first year at UoS. To help you and maybe others worried about their grades and UKCAT:
I was a Widening Participation applicant, do remember that this means that you are a part of either Realising Opportunities or SOAMS, both of which give you a lower offer of ABB.
My UKCAT score was 2610, SJT Band 3 (the cutoff was like 2650 or something like that for non-widening participation last year)
My predicted A Levels: AAA (chem, bio, maths) and what I achieved was ABB + two Bs in EPQ and AS Physics
My offer was ABB so I did achieve my grades but I've heard of a few people getting in with AAB's...
My only work experience was volunteering at a local hospital (I don't know any doctors whatsoever so it was difficult to gain work experience), which at the time of my interviews I have been doing for 4 months.
As you can see I am definitely far from an ideal applicant but I'm here and very happy with my choices :smile: If anyone has any questions fire away!

Latest

Trending

Trending