The Student Room Group

How bad is a temporary exclusion in sixth form for a uni application

A couple months into my AS course I got excluded for a day for smoking in the school's toilet (stupid, I know). I got 2 Bs and an A on my AS exams and will try to apply for a Russel Group this year, however I am worried as to how this will affect my application since it will be on my record. If anyone knows what I can do, please help. Also, would taking a gap year change this in any way or does it not make a difference?
It shouldn't effect you at all, I was excluded just a few months before my UCAS was sent off and got 4/5 offers from top university's with pretty bad AS results. My headteacher said that university can't actually see that you've been excluded so the only way they would know is if you school put it in your reference, which I highly doubt they would do.

Edit: The only difference I can see if that what you did was actually illegal rather than simply against school policy, so if they got the police involved it might be different.
(edited 5 years ago)
The police were not involved, I admitted that it was me when a teacher passing by got suspicious and it was all handled by the school, I am not sure about the legality of it though. However, I thought that the school was obliged to disclose such issues to the univesities students apply to, was I just fed that to stay in line?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SomMC1
it would depend if your school reports it somewhere which would jeopardize your application and they know it would so unless they are absolute dicks they wont do it. What was the outcome of your smoking? Only the exclusion or did you also have talks w principal, etc??

Highly doubt anything bad will happen. just dont **** up now brother, no fights, no swearing, no smoking, no drinking, no flirting in school especially not with y10/11 chicks.

ABB in as is good so you could have very high predicted, dont ruin it bruh

Thanks man, as for the outcome, it was basically what I said in the last comment: my tutor found out, notified the head of year, I got excluded by her that day and my parents werw called in on the next day. I am not aware if anything outside of that has happened but it was not brought up when she spoke to my parents so I doubt it.
also make sure you get to choose who writes your reference
Original post by CollectiveSoul
also make sure you get to choose who writes your reference

That I will fight tooth and nail for, my Physics teacher is a legend and thought my exclusion was dumb and unnecessary and I will not let any other teacher other than my tutor get close to it
Original post by Some/Random/Guy
That I will fight tooth and nail for, my Physics teacher is a legend and thought my exclusion was dumb and unnecessary and I will not let any other teacher other than my tutor get close to it

good lad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending