Presto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know that energy released in forming new bonds makes up for energy used in breaking old bonds but I find it hard to understand and visualise this. Doesn't bond breaking occur before bond making so how is this possible and why does this happen? Can someone pls explain this?
haseebj49
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To some extent, all reactions are endothermic to begin with. To break the bonds, energy is required; called the activation energy. After that, when bonds are being formed, energy is released and the rest of the reaction is exothermic. The net result is an exothermic reaction which can be shown by this diagram.
(The red arrow is the activation energy and the green represents the overall energy change in the reaction.)
Presto
Rep:
?
(Original post by haseeb_jarral)
To some extent, all reactions are endothermic to begin with. To break the bonds, energy is required; called the activation energy. After that, when bonds are being formed, energy is released and the rest of the reaction is exothermic. The net result is an exothermic reaction which can be shown by this diagram.
(The red arrow is the activation energy and the green represents the overall energy change in the reaction.)
Thank you sooo much! So does the energy released have to be equal to the energy used? What would happen if it's greater than that?
charco
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Presto)
Thank you sooo much! So does the energy released have to be equal to the energy used? What would happen if it's greater than that?
The energy released (reaction enthalpy) does NOT have equal the energy needed to start the reaction (activation energy)

The activation energy is obtained from particle collisions and if the collision has enough energy and the correct orientation bonds may be broken to begin the reaction mechanism (the series of steps needed to go from reactants to products)
Presto
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
The energy released (reaction enthalpy) does NOT have equal the energy needed to start the reaction (activation energy)

The activation energy is obtained from particle collisions and if the collision has enough energy and the correct orientation bonds may be broken to begin the reaction mechanism (the series of steps needed to go from reactants to products)
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (225)
43.35%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (40)
7.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (109)
21%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (59)
11.37%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed