The Student Room Group

Christian Friend bought something from craft stall that might be Wiccan. Help pls.

I think you're being a little OTT.

I doubt she meant anything by it. She saw a pretty thing at a craft stall and wanted to buy it - it doesn't mean she is going to start practising witchcraft. If you're living together, and you are uncomfortable with it, just ask her to move it into her room.

It is not your possession so you have no right to burn it or get rid of it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by helpmeaghhhh
Ok so I'm Christian and I think the person I'm talking about ,(let's call them, she) who I live with, is too I think (although she has been struggling with her Faith I think?). A few years ago when out shopping the market stalls where out and one of them (which I won't exactly name) was called "Wiccan (insert rest of name)". I think this was a craft stall (rather than anything religious?) but it bothered me at the time. Person bought a wooden frog percusion instrument thing from it , and I know I probably should have done more at the time (I think I may have tried to hide it or mention it or something) , but it's still sitting on the shelf at the moment (I remembered recently and properly mentioned it to her). Am I wrong to be concerned about this? When I left a note about it (which she has seen) I mentioned that I think the Bible says something like we're not meant to have anything to do with bad stuff (?) but I don't know what this means exactly in this situation and I know that (with my mental health state) I can take things out of proportion (although of course occult stuff is bad). I don't know if it's releated to any of the wiccan rituals or not (although I think frogs may symbolise something in it). Should I get she to get rid of it (burn?)? What if she doesn't?

Help would be much appreciated?
An artefact only has power if it is ascribed to it. If you friend just bought somethung they liked the look of, it will have no power for them and cannot pose a threat.
Reply 2
What exactly is your "mental health state"? Maybe you need to visit a doctor
You mention confession - are you Roman Catholic, out of interest? Just asking coz I don't wanna make comments that might be irrelevant to you if you're not :nah:
Ok so I'm Christian and I think the person I'm talking about ,(let's call them, she) who I live with, is too I think (although she has been struggling with her Faith I think?). A few years ago when out shopping the market stalls where out and one of them (which I won't exactly name) was called "Wiccan (insert rest of name)". I think this was a craft stall (rather than anything religious?) but it bothered me at the time. Person bought a wooden frog percusion instrument thing from it , and I know I probably should have done more at the time (I think I may have tried to hide it or mention it or something) , but it's still sitting on the shelf at the moment (I remembered recently and properly mentioned it to her). Am I wrong to be concerned about this? When I left a note about it (which she has seen) I mentioned that I think the Bible says something like we're not meant to have anything to do with bad stuff (?) but I don't know what this means exactly in this situation and I know that (with my mental health state) I can take things out of proportion (although of course occult stuff is bad). I don't know if it's releated to any of the wiccan rituals or not (although I think frogs may symbolise something in it). Should I get she to get rid of it (burn?)? What if she doesn't?

As a Christian, I can see your point and where you're coming from. If it bothers you, let her know it's against your religion/beliefs. I'd distance myself as a Christian from someone like that tbh. Maybe kick her out.
no. I'm protestant (although in the creed (which there is in some services) there is something like "we believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostlic Church". I don't really understand this though so I tend to say one Church instead). I do have a childhood friend who is part of a family of strong Catholics. It is up to people what they believe but I don't really agree with some of the Catholic beliefs such as purgatory.

I'm seriously confused now - do Protestants do/believe in confession? I thought they didn't :lol: Or were you meaning a private confession where someone just tells God that they did X and please forgive me? :dontknow:

In your creed, one holy and catholic (small c) apostolic church refers to worldwide. That is the meaning of the world catholic with a small c :fyi:

Imho, you can only lead people (existing Christians or not) to Christ through example and kind reminders. It is not your place to drag people kicking and screaming! You've already written a note and if this object is in her private bedroom (not a public room), there's not much you can do about it...
Reply 6

The frog instrument isn't wiccan and I've never really heard of frogs having major significance to wiccans either? I believe those frog instruments are a variation of a Latin American instrument called a "GΓΌiro" and first appeared as tourist souvenirs in Asia. So it's not linked to anything spiritually insidious or anything it's just a bit of wood shaped like a frog.

(Btw wiccans aren't dangerous either pretty much the only "bad" thing they do is burn candles/light fires on/within/around stone circles and henges which only annoys archaeologists)
(edited 5 years ago)
no. I'm protestant (although in the creed (which there is in some services) there is something like "we believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostlic Church". I don't really understand this though so I tend to say one Church instead). I do have a childhood friend who is part of a family of strong Catholics. It is up to people what they believe but I don't really agree with some of the Catholic beliefs such as purgatory.

catholic meaning universal in the context of the creed, otherwise catholic is a different strand of christianity as you know
It is precisely none of your business. If the person you live with is in your home, ask them to put it in their room. If you share it equally and both pay rent, she is entitled to display it as she pleases. Her faith, purchase choices and shopping habits are absolutely none of your concern. You have no right to even consider removing or destroying something which does not belong to you, no matter which religious group you believe it to originate from.

Edit: I have now seen it’s in her own room. It would be dishonest, morally unacceptable and distasteful to remove an object that you do not own in a room you have no right to be in. To be clear, your definition of right and wrong in the religious sense is not universal and she has done no wrong by purchasing an item. You have no right to touch it or expect she do anything with it.
(edited 5 years ago)
I wasn't going to do anything to the item without her say. Your point of it being hers and I have no right to meddle with it is fair. I do feel though as a fellow Christian (I think?) I should care about she and try and help her if she is going wrong (although perhaps I am not in a position to do that). (although of course her personal preference should be up to her).

I believe that you have the right to feel comfortable to the most reasonable extent in your home, she obviously does too as she moved the item to her room. She is aware of your concerns and has chosen not to take action, this would indicate that she does not appreciate your views regarding this object which she has bought and owns. Therefore it logically follows that the matter is closed and that you need to leave it and let her forge her own path - if for you it is necessary to have spoken to her about it and raised your concerns as you feel a good Christian should, then you have done all you can.

Obsessing over the object and continuously bringing it up will simply annoy the other person you live with. I should also again remind you that what you think is β€˜wrong’, others may not. Remember that religion, whilst it can be shared and celebrated amongst others, is a very personal thing. Some people may be more fundamentalist in their views or perhaps more liberal - it’s a spectrum and it’s interpreted privately amongst different people. You may believe she has β€˜gone wrong’, but she may not and ultimately she is responsible for her own actions.

You must try to move on.
(edited 5 years ago)
To be honest with you I think you're being a little ignorant. I'm not religious personally but I know a bit about various faiths and I'm not sure what you think Wicca is but you seem to think it's some kind of evil devil worship? Perhaps research the beliefs before you start assuming things. I'm not saying you have to agree with those beliefs but it is your friends choice and not really your business. People may not agree with your beliefs and you wouldn't like it if they started telling you how you were wrong and evil, would you? It doesn't sound as though they're hurting anyone or trying to convert you to having their beliefs so why not just let them be?

Alternatively, they could just have thought the item looked nice and you're reading too much into it?
Original post by Taurus5
As a Christian, I can see your point and where you're coming from. If it bothers you, let her know it's against your religion/beliefs. I'd distance myself as a Christian from someone like that tbh. Maybe kick her out.

Christian charity and humanity in action.

Have we gone back in time to the 17th century? If you don't like it, then move out. It is your problem.
It's not confession as in the idea of confessing to a Priest. It's more during the service there is a time when the congregation is lead in a prayer to say sorry with a time to confess silently their mistakes. I don't really understand the idea of going through Priests/Saints to talk to God. ok. I do agree that I should try to lead be example and Love (I think God has been trying to tell me this in various ways recently). Very true... thanks for reminding me. I know I can go a bit .... and that sort of behevior would put people off. ok.

I see :holmes:

I think you need to remember that your own mental health is probably having a huge (and possibly unfair) bearing on this situation. I asked whether you are Roman Catholic because in Roman Catholicism, there is a name for the kind of feelings and thoughts you are displaying. It's called scrupulosity :fyi:

You've made your feelings known and tried to guide her. You can't do much more without being a jackass tbh. And it does sound like it might be a guiro, as someone else pointed out, which isn't Wiccan afaik (I'm a music student) :fyi:

Try not to overanalyse the situation or being sanctimonious. You've done what you can :yes:
What exactly are you asking? It's a wooden frog. Not a contract with the devil.
Original post by Taurus5

Kicking someone out because they might have different beliefs? Very Christian.
I have just done some research. I do agree with the idea of trying not to harm others and I do agree that it is up to people what they do. It was so long ago so I can't remember much about it (and I know she just thought the item looked nice) or the people so I can't really say. I don't think they meant harm but to me it seems like an unhealthy thing to get into. I don't mean to come across as an accuser of evil. I do accept that people are free to make their own choices.

I'm not Wiccan myself but I know it's largely about worshipping nature and natural cycles so is a very peaceful religion. I agree some of it does look scary but items are often symbolic rather than being used for things. There are parts of the world where people take it too far (that's 'witchcraft' not wicca though) and people do get hurt. But the same can be said for a lot of religions- often it's a few extreme individuals rather than the religion as a whole
Gross over reaction. She hasnt done anything wrong. You worry about your own faith. It really shouldnt be stressing you as much in any event.
That post about kicking someone out hopefully was a troll otherwise its disgusting.
If you have a problem then go and talk to the Uni or local clergy.
Reply 17
Even though I'm not a part of wicca, I believe it is based around love and harmony with nature and spirit, including healing that Christians also do.
Nothing will ever be created with the intention of being evil if it is truly wiccan - coming from a fairly spiritual perspective, I think, as you are a Christian, to open your mind to potentially beautiful ways of life and not to place your own judgement on it from just a preconcieved idea.
Do research, learn about it, and know that just because a particular belief system is alien to your own it doesn't have to be dangerous.

TLDR a wooden frog isn't gonna hurt you, it isn't evil, and open your heart to the true nature of paganism.
(tbh christians talking in tongues is just freaky so who are you to say wicca is any worse. It is a cult, but so is every religion hunny)
I'm trying to find out whether it is ok for her to have (as a Christian(?)) . True it is not but to my religion wiccan isn't really a good thing (although I have to accept that people have (and should have) freewill).

Its up to her to decide. If you want to accept people have free will then don't do anything about it.
Hey, I noticed that you talked about your mental health and I just want you to know that Jesus nailed all those conditions, sicknesses and bad feelings to the cross when he was crucified. If you believe in his sacrifice, don't speak bad things into your life. The Bible says that "where the word of a King is, there is power." Your words are incredibly important. God has made us kings and priests so the things we speak can and will have an effect. Always remain positive and never declare or accept sickness in your life. When Jesus was alive, he healed people of all sicknesses. Even death had to bow to Jesus. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and seek him. Read his word and desire to know more about him and also find out who God has made you to be. God bless :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)