The Student Room Group

do i need further maths for an engineering degree?

I'm doing maths, chemistry and physics but do I need further maths too? I'm interested particularly in chemical engineering
Not needed, however when applying to the top unis it would definitely help.
Reply 2
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
Not needed, however when applying to the top unis it would definitely help.

I think I get fairly high grades and might apply to the top unis but is it still possible for me to get into these unis without it?
look at entry requirements for the unis you're interested in.
Reply 4
Mate you don't even need further maths for a physics degree, less engineering and even less chemeng
Original post by Harry171
I think I get fairly high grades and might apply to the top unis but is it still possible for me to get into these unis without it?

Going for top schools means you should beef your application as much as possible.

Top schools = most rigorous degree, fast pace, large amounts of material covered.

Top engineering schools say FM is strongly "preferred", you gain everything by taking it.
Original post by turn-to-page394
look at entry requirements for the unis you're interested in.

I agree.
Look at the entry requirements on unis websites to be sure.
Further maths might not be required, but it may be useful.
I'm doing maths, chemistry and physics but do I need further maths too? I'm interested particularly in chemical engineering

I posted this a few days ago:

Take it [further maths] if you want to take it and would get a good grade in it. It'll be useful in that you will have already covered a bit more of the maths modules that will be in an engineering degree, but if you don't want to take it, that's fine too. I don't have up-to-date stats, but back in 2012, about 20% of incoming engineering undergrads had it. I doubt things have markedly changed since then, so you can do absolutely fine without it.

Some of the "higher ranking" universities may advise taking it if available, but I haven't yet seen any university that specifies it as part of the course entry requirements.
Reply 8

My suggestion is for you to take further maths. It sets you out as someone who can deal with a higher workload and harder concepts. If you will be applying to top universities, you will most likely need A*s in maths and chemistry, and A's in your third and fourth A Levels. Example being the MEng Chemical Engineering course at Imperial, you need A*A*A minimum regardless of whether you do 3 or 4 A Levels, with the A*s in A Level Maths and Chemistry.

I suggest you use the "Complete University Guide 2019" table to help you decide which RG universities to apply for if you choose to apply to top unis. For example, with the MEng Chemical Engineering degree at Univeristy of Birmingham, their minimum offer is A*AA if you do 3 A Levels (OR) AAAA if you do 4 A Levels. As a result, it would be advantageous for you to take further maths and do 4 A Levels instead of 3 because you'll be surprised at how difficult it is to attain an A* in an A Level subject.

Hope this helps.
Hi! I’ve got Manchester and birmingham’s offer for chemical engineering and should I follow the qs ranking or complete university guide for the rankings? They’re quite different tho.
Original post by joanpeichia
Hi! I’ve got Manchester and birmingham’s offer for chemical engineering and should I follow the qs ranking or complete university guide for the rankings? They’re quite different tho.

It depends. If you plan to work in the UK after graduation, it'd make most sense to use Complete University Guide as it's a domestic league table. If you plan to work outside the UK, QS Ranking should take precedence. However, you should visit those universities in person and ultimately choose the one where you'll be happy to live and study at for 3 to 4 years.
Original post by thbtchit
It depends. If you plan to work in the UK after graduation, it'd make most sense to use Complete University Guide as it's a domestic league table. If you plan to work outside the UK, QS Ranking should take precedence. However, you should visit those universities in person and ultimately choose the one where you'll be happy to live and study at for 3 to 4 years.

Thank you and now I’ve also got offer from UCL for chemical engineering but I’ve heard people saying that BEng at UCL wasn’t good, do you have any suggestions in choosing the unis? Thank you so much!
Hi Harry

I'm a fourth year chemical engineer at UoB and I have lots of friends who are great engineers (chemical/mechanical/civil) and lots of them didn't do further maths. In my experience with chem eng further maths helps a bit with some first year maths but beyond that is not necessary at all.

Hope that puts your mind at rest

cheers Harry (also my name)
Reply 13
Original post by joanpeichia
Thank you and now I’ve also got offer from UCL for chemical engineering but I’ve heard people saying that BEng at UCL wasn’t good, do you have any suggestions in choosing the unis? Thank you so much!

I'm trying to decide between Manchester and Leeds, think I'm gonna firm Manchester though

Quick Reply

Latest