Personal statements for Liberal arts and obscure Single Honours courses

Watch
emilyhannis
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm really struggling with writing my personal statement as I'm applying for quite a wide ranging set of courses at university. My primary interest is sustainable development but I also want to study other academic disciplines to broaden my interests and link in other knowledge to my primary studies. I also play the violin and considered applying for conservatoires, so liberal arts also allows me incorporate music into my degree. The courses I'm considering that won't allow me to incorporate music into my degree have strong extra-curricular music departments. My A Levels are Geography, Music and Religious Studies and my predicted grades are A*AA, and I'm considering applying for the following:
Edinburgh - Sustainable development
St Andrews - Sustainable development
Warwick - Global sustainable development and Philosophy
Nottingham - Liberal arts
Birmingham - Liberal arts
Durham - Combined Honours in social sciences

The Scottish universities are the perfect balance as I am able to take modules from other subjects in the first two years and possibly pursue a joint honours. However, they want their personal statements tailored to sustainable development, despite the fact not many SD courses are offered in the UK. Warwick asks for a second personal statement as they understand it is an obscure course, so that isn't an issue. I don't know about Birmingham and Durham, but I know that Nottingham asks for the personal statement to be tailored specifically to liberal arts. This is going to cause many issues with writing my personal statement - surely liberal arts courses realise many students will also be applying for single honours courses? Or do most liberal arts students only apply for liberal arts?

I was hoping I could write about how my interests are cross-disciplinary whilst showing that my passion is sustainable development (linking this into my geographical studies), but I can't write in my personal statement that I am applying for both of these courses - looking at what the unis want it needs to be tailored to the specific subject. Has anyone else had a similar issue? How should I go about writing this?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emilyhannis)
I'm really struggling with writing my personal statement as I'm applying for quite a wide ranging set of courses at university. My primary interest is sustainable development but I also want to study other academic disciplines to broaden my interests and link in other knowledge to my primary studies. I also play the violin and considered applying for conservatoires, so liberal arts also allows me incorporate music into my degree. The courses I'm considering that won't allow me to incorporate music into my degree have strong extra-curricular music departments. My A Levels are Geography, Music and Religious Studies and my predicted grades are A*AA, and I'm considering applying for the following:
Edinburgh - Sustainable development
St Andrews - Sustainable development
Warwick - Global sustainable development and Philosophy
Nottingham - Liberal arts
Birmingham - Liberal arts
Durham - Combined Honours in social sciences

The Scottish universities are the perfect balance as I am able to take modules from other subjects in the first two years and possibly pursue a joint honours. However, they want their personal statements tailored to sustainable development, despite the fact not many SD courses are offered in the UK. Warwick asks for a second personal statement as they understand it is an obscure course, so that isn't an issue. I don't know about Birmingham and Durham, but I know that Nottingham asks for the personal statement to be tailored specifically to liberal arts. This is going to cause many issues with writing my personal statement - surely liberal arts courses realise many students will also be applying for single honours courses? Or do most liberal arts students only apply for liberal arts?

I was hoping I could write about how my interests are cross-disciplinary whilst showing that my passion is sustainable development (linking this into my geographical studies), but I can't write in my personal statement that I am applying for both of these courses - looking at what the unis want it needs to be tailored to the specific subject. Has anyone else had a similar issue? How should I go about writing this?
Well done for working out that some unis want a second statement. Maybe do the same for the others as well? Otherwise unfortunately you're going to have to pick. Unis recognise that this is a difficult decision but still only want students who are committed to the subject and have a realistic idea of what it is about.
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Durhan will allow you to submit a second personal statement, which they use instead of the original one

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/stud...lstatement.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (205)
33.55%
No (406)
66.45%

Watched Threads