Historical moments Watch

jklasjrkx123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed?
ab173
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My birth
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jklasjrkx123)
What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed?
The protest of 1968 and seventies in the 20th century: in a time people walking through the streets and protesting against the cold war and fighting for changes in society in order to break through conservative common sense was and is still so unique in history.
Selfie Lust
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Rutherford splitting the atom.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Selfie Lust)
Rutherford splitting the atom.
Could it be that you are confusing some historical events? splitting atom in the sense of nuclear fission was discovered by the German chemist Otto Hahn decades later. Rutherford used an aplha particle to shoot atoms (atoms in a gold foil), and the distractions of the alpha particles - visible on a luminiscent screen - led to his conclusion that atoms must have positve particles in the center. From this day we know his discovery as Rutherford's atom model.
Selfie Lust
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Could it be that you are confusing some historical events? splitting atom in the sense of nuclear fission was discovered by the German chemist Otto Hahn decades later. Rutherford used an aplha particle to shoot atoms (atoms in a gold foil), and the distractions of the alpha particles - visible on a luminiscent screen - led to his conclusion that atoms must have positve particles in the center. From this day we know his discovery as Rutherford's atom model.
Thank you for the correction. I’m not sure where I got the idea of Rutherford from for nuclear fission.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Selfie Lust)
Thank you for the correction. I’m not sure where I got the idea of Rutherford from for nuclear fission.
Was my pleasure to correct you. If we are looking for periods with scientific breakthroughs, I would mention the beginning of 20th century when physicists - and another scientists - figured out the quantum universe.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The protest of 1968 and seventies in the 20th century: in a time people walking through the streets and protesting against the cold war and fighting for changes in society in order to break through conservative common sense was and is still so unique in history.
I remember. I was 20 in 1968.
elizabethperroni
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
the iron curtain speech
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Splitting the atom has never meant achieving nuclear fission. Rutherford split the atom in 1917 by showing that the atom was not an indivisible particle.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Splitting the atom has never meant achieving nuclear fission. Rutherford split the atom in 1917 by showing that the atom was not an indivisible particle.
The term seems to be puzzling and led to an misunderstanding. I always linked this one with nuclear fission.

(Original post by Seamus123)
I remember. I was 20 in 1968.
A witness of this time? really? that is great. Don't you mind I ask you questions? would even send a private message, if you prefer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed