The Student Room Group

Camera flashed me once and I wasn’t speeding!

The other night I was driving down a dual carriageway (one I know very well). The speed limit is 40. As I approached one of the speed cameras I came off the gas and went through the camera at 38 according to my speedometer. However as I went though, the camera flashed me once. I wasn’t speeding so I feel like I shouldn’t worry but still.... why would the camera only flash once? And why would it flash if I was going under the limit?!
Original post by SJ0hn
The other night I was driving down a dual carriageway (one I know very well). The speed limit is 40. As I approached one of the speed cameras I came off the gas and went through the camera at 38 according to my speedometer. However as I went though, the camera flashed me once. I wasn’t speeding so I feel like I shouldn’t worry but still.... why would the camera only flash once? And why would it flash if I was going under the limit?!

Don't worry, if you were going under you won't get anything.

It could've been someone else which triggered it, either that or if it was a GATSO they can flash randomly even if a car isn't speeding.
Reply 2
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Don't worry, if you were going under you won't get anything.

It could've been someone else which triggered it, either that or if it was a GATSO they can flash randomly even if a car isn't speeding.

Thanks for your reply. Just the first time I had been flashed so am just (unnecessarily) worrying! Thanks again
Original post by SJ0hn
Thanks for your reply. Just the first time I had been flashed so am just (unnecessarily) worrying! Thanks again

[video="youtube;0brmhkIm614"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0brmhkIm614[/video]

Just to put your mind at ease :smile:

Flashes even though the vehicle oncoming isn't even in front of the camera.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RoyalSheepy
[video="youtube;0brmhkIm614"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0brmhkIm614[/video]

Just to put your mind at ease :smile:

Flashes even though the vehicle oncoming isn't even in front of the camera.

That really has put my mind at ease! Thank you!
I got once flashed on a rainy day in north london where it was 20mph and i was about 21mph . And it happend a week now and so nervous as i recently passed and dont want points on my licence can some one tell me whats gonna happen plse
Reply 6
Original post by Saif31777dj
I got once flashed on a rainy day in north london where it was 20mph and i was about 21mph . And it happend a week now and so nervous as i recently passed and dont want points on my licence can some one tell me whats gonna happen plse

All you can do is wait and see if you get a letter in the post for the offence. It can take up to 2 weeks to come after the offence. If nothing turns up, then your in the clear. Otherwise you will just have to accept the points and pay the fine. If your lucky, you may be offered a speed awareness course, so you wont need to pay a fine and won't get points on your licence :smile:
Reply 7
Did u get the ticket after all. As the exact same thing happened to me just a few minutes ago.
Hey! Your post seems to have a few phrases that pertain to traffic lights and/or red light cameras, so I'm here to answer a few common questions that we see on TSR...

Is this a a sensor or a camera?
I can guarantee that if you've attached a photo to this thread, it's NOT a red light camera, but is in fact just a sensor for monitoring traffic.

I think I ran a red light, will I get a fine?
No one can answer this, sorry! You'll need to wait for 14 days to see if a NIP arrives in the post (there's a few exceptions to the rule, but 14 days is the usual guideline). You need to seriously have a long hard think about what you've done and treat this as a big lesson in paying more attention on the roads, regardless of whether you get a fine or not.

What if someone saw me and reports me?
Nothing will come from it. Stop worrying.

This message was posted automatically by the ItsOnlyASensor bot. If you believe this message was posted in error, please PM this account to provide feedback. Thanks!
Reply 9
Maybe they thought you were cute and wanted a picture?
I was on the M25 today at around 1am. The speed limit at the time was 70mph. I was driving 47ish according to my speedometer as I was running low on fuel and still had a long way to go. I then realised the camera flashed once. I looked behind me to check if anyone else was there but I was the only one. Why did the camera flash me when I was more than 20 below the limit???

Latest