The Student Room Group

Deferred entry with A levels not being taken until the year of deferment?

Hey there, I'm studying BSc Paramedic Science at St George's, about to go into my third year. I didn't do any A-levels, other than GCSEs, the only qualification I have is an Access Course.

I'm planning on applying for Medicine, deferred entry, with course starting in 2020. In the meantime, I'll do A levels in Chemistry and Biology (hopefully the degree will compensate for the lack of third A-level, though I'm sure I could get a decent grade at A level IT without much effort).

So my question is, do I need to be taking these A levels next summer? Or given that all of my choices are deferred, will it be okay to either do them both in Summer 2020, or do one in Summer 2019, then the other in Summer 2020?
Are you applying for undergraduate or graduate entry medicine?

(btw idk loads about this at all :tongue:)
Original post by JoeTSR
Hey there, I'm studying BSc Paramedic Science at St George's, about to go into my third year. I didn't do any A-levels, other than GCSEs, the only qualification I have is an Access Course.

I'm planning on applying for Medicine, deferred entry, with course starting in 2020. In the meantime, I'll do A levels in Chemistry and Biology (hopefully the degree will compensate for the lack of third A-level, though I'm sure I could get a decent grade at A level IT without much effort).

So my question is, do I need to be taking these A levels next summer? Or given that all of my choices are deferred, will it be okay to either do them both in Summer 2020, or do one in Summer 2019, then the other in Summer 2020?

With deferring you still generally have to meet the requirements by august 2019. what grade do you expect to get in your degree, have you considered graduate entry medicine?
Do they even allow deferred entry
You're not planning on applying for deferred entry. Deferred entry is where you apply in one application cycle and then the uni hold your place for a year, so you would have had to already apply. If you apply in the autumn for 2020 entry, that's not deferred entry although you will have taken a gap year. If you are applying in the usual application cycle it will be fine to take your exams in the summer of 2020. However, unis may prefer you taking both exams together unless there is a reason this would be especially difficult (such as working full time).

Given your situation is quite unusual, it may be a good idea to contact medical schools now and ask how they would view your application.
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You're not planning on applying for deferred entry. Deferred entry is where you apply in one application cycle and then the uni hold your place for a year, so you would have had to already apply. If you apply in the autumn for 2020 entry, that's not deferred entry although you will have taken a gap year. If you are applying in the usual application cycle it will be fine to take your exams in the summer of 2020. However, unis may prefer you taking both exams together unless there is a reason this would be especially difficult (such as working full time).

Given your situation is quite unusual, it may be a good idea to contact medical schools now and ask how they would view your application.

I was. This thread is 7 months old. I decided against it (doing 2 A levels while in the last year of my degree would've been too tough, and I didn't want to miss out on places that might've accepted me otherwise if I'd waited a year). I feel the current plan (of normal entry for 2020 start, with 2 A levels over the course of the next year, topping up with another the year after if I get rejected) is doable.

Thanks for all the help!
Original post by JoeTSR
I was. This thread is 7 months old. I decided against it (doing 2 A levels while in the last year of my degree would've been too tough, and I didn't want to miss out on places that might've accepted me otherwise if I'd waited a year). I feel the current plan (of normal entry for 2020 start, with 2 A levels over the course of the next year, topping up with another the year after if I get rejected) is doable.

Thanks for all the help!

Sorry, I should have checked the date on the thread!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending