The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

gateway to medicine

hi, is it true that bristol now puts A LOT of emphasis on UKCAT?
I was reading 2018 entry posts where people got offers when they had below 600 UKCAT but an amazing personal statement.
I looked on bristols website and the document attached to the website that even says 2019 entry has 60% emphasis on personal statement and 20% on UKCAT...hence why im so confused that people are saying Bristol put little emphasis on personal statement now and large emphasis on UKCAT.
Any information about this would be appreciated, thanks :biggrin:
Gateway to Medicine (A108) and the 5-year Medicine (A100) are different courses with different selection processes.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
yeah the document for their gateway to medicine says 60% personal statement and 20% UKCAT but people are saying the weighting is higher for UKCAT even though the document says otherwise, i called them but their lines were too busy and they havent gotten back to me by email so im not sure what to do since i need to apply on 8th october :frown:
do you think the emphasis on UKCAT is for the A100 5yr med course?
Original post by returnmigrant
Gateway to Medicine (A108) and the 5-year Medicine (A100) are different courses with different selection processes.
IF you are eligible to apply for Brstol's Gateway program (right school and grades in the right bandwidth) then do it.
You stand much more chance of getting an interview for this than the 5 year, because this eligibility criteria will keep the numbers down.

Btw, if you look at the 2019 entry requirements you will see that because the Gateway course wont accept more than a B in Chemistry and the 5 year course wants at least an A in Chemisty, you can't have the grades to apply for both courses.
are you on about the grades for predictions?
my predictions are ABB, A in biology, B in chemistry and B in maths? is that alright???
IF you are eligible to apply for Brstol's Gateway program (right school and grades in the right bandwidth) then do it.
You stand much more chance of getting an interview for this than the 5 year, because this eligibility criteria will keep the numbers down.

Btw, if you look at the 2019 entry requirements you will see that because the Gateway course wont accept more than a B in Chemistry and the 5 year course wants at least an A in Chemisty, you can't have the grades to apply for both courses.
Suggest you check the A level and GCSE requirements for 2019 entry here : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2019/medicine/mb-chb-gateway-to-medicine/

(Btw, you need to have taken UKCAT and the registration deadline has already gone for this year)
yeah i meet it all and ive done the ukcat, im sorted thanks :biggrin:
Suggest you check the A level and GCSE requirements for 2019 entry here : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2019/medicine/mb-chb-gateway-to-medicine/

(Btw, you need to have taken UKCAT and the registration deadline has already gone for this year)
what did everyone get in their UKCAT Score? and did you apply/get into a foundation/gateway program? Thank you!
Original post by Abraham2111
Just a quick question about getting into gateway into medicine(Bristol)
I have only managed to get BBB , however I was predicted a bit higher. Does this make me not eligible , I was looking to apply with my BBB?

Gateway at Bristol is a widening participation course - you have to be going to one of the listed schools (check on the course page on the website for links to the lists). If you have met the requirements (A level and GCSEs) then you can apply in Sept for 2020 entry. Go to the Open Day in September and they will explain the whole application process to you (PS. you need to do UCAT over the summer).

Quick Reply

Latest