Tom.1017
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I am currently studying a BTEC Information Technology (Extended Diploma) Level 3. Would I be able to apply for a BSc or MSCi at university with the extended diploma. Please reply

Thanks
Zaynah-yuna
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Some universities that I know of could accept you based on your Btec grades or your overall UCAS tariff point. Just Btec alone is going to be difficult as they would most likely want 3 equivalent grade. However if going by tariff point, a ABB is a equivalent of just D*D* alone.
I would recommend calling the university of your choice go through course admissions to clarify the grade needed.
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
Alright thank you, much appreciated
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Extended Diploma is worth 3 A levels and yes, you would be able to apply for a BSc or Msci. Following my BTEC Level 3 Extended in IT I have completed both a BSc and MSc in Computer Science.

Are you wanting to do Computer Science?
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
Yes, I am very much interested in studying both as I would like to pursue a career in that field.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tom.1017)
Yes, I am very much interested in studying both as I would like to pursue a career in that field.
Then you'll be fine with the BTEC Extended in IT
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
How long did it take you to complete your extended BTEC?
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
Then you'll be fine with the BTEC Extended in IT
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2 years is standard
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
2 years is standard
It is possible to complete in a year right?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is possible to complete in a year right?
Not an Extended Diploma, an Extended Diploma is 180 credits (the equivalent of 3 A levels), that'll be far too much work in 1 year and I doubt any college would allow you to attempt it.
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
Not an Extended Diploma, an Extended Diploma is 180 credits (the equivalent of 3 A levels), that'll be far too much work in 1 year and I doubt any college would allow you to attempt it.
Alright, thanks. If I complete the first year with 90 credits will I still be able to go to university.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Alright, thanks. If I complete the first year with 90 credits will I still be able to go to university.
Not on its own, you typically need 3 A level equivalent. Some rubbish unis will take you with 2 A levels equivalent but the 90 credit diploma is worth 1.5 A levels so you will struggle to find somewhere to take you unless you have another 1 or 2 A levels
Tom.1017
Rep:
?
Not on its own, you typically need 3 A level equivalent. Some rubbish unis will take you with 2 A levels equivalent but the 90 credit diploma is worth 1.5 A levels so you will struggle to find somewhere to take you unless you have another 1 or 2 A levels
Alright thanks
TrimItOut
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
YES!

Most universities will accept the BTEC extended diploma in IT for enrolment for Computer Science however you obviously won't be able to apply to Oxbridge, Imperial etc. with the BTEC alone.

I am currently going to study applied Computer Science Bsc/MEng at Leeds university this September so if you have any questions about the application process please don't hesitate to ask.

PS: I applied with a Level 3 BTEC extended diploma in IT as well as an AS in Mathematics (just to sharpen up my skills). But do be aware is that the BTEC grades do not directly translate for some universities i.e Nottingham's Computer Science offer is AAA but for BTEC my offer was D*D*D* and likewise for Loughborough's offer is ABB but my offer was D*D*D* with an A in AS mathematics.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TrimItOut)
YES!

Most universities will accept the BTEC extended diploma in IT for enrolment for Computer Science however you obviously won't be able to apply to Oxbridge, Imperial etc. with the BTEC alone.

I am currently going to study applied Computer Science Bsc/MEng at Leeds university this September so if you have any questions about the application process please don't hesitate to ask.

PS: I applied with a Level 3 BTEC extended diploma in IT as well as an AS in Mathematics (just to sharpen up my skills). But do be aware is that the BTEC grades do not directly translate for some universities i.e Nottingham's Computer Science offer is AAA but for BTEC my offer was D*D*D* and likewise for Loughborough's offer is ABB but my offer was D*D*D* with an A in AS mathematics.
Congrats!

It's great to see people who take BTEC IT pushing themselves applying to top unis, most seem to sell themselves very short and apply to not so great universities because they think for some reason that they are less prepared to go to a good uni for Computer Science. Well done.
b67f67
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would it be helpful to have a BTEC ICT with a Spanish A level, to apply for university ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.44%
I'm not sure (41)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (283)
30.27%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (452)
48.34%

Watched Threads