The Student Room Group

Surrey or Southampton AERO/MECHANICAL

Are these uni on par for engineering? Will going to Surrey give me a disadvantage compared to studying at Southampton. I like surreys industry links and work placements abroad. Can someone please give me an answer?
southampton is ranked 4th and surrey is ranked 14th. there's a significant difference between them, and southampton would probably be more advantageous.
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous1231231
southampton is ranked 4th and surrey is ranked 14th. there's a significant difference between them, and southampton would probably be more advantageous.

But Surrey was ranked 6th last year so these rankings are ridiculous. I want to know if there is a difference in the eyes of the employers between Southampton and Surrey.
Reply 3
?????
Reply 4
Original post by AS12445
I want to know if there is a difference in the eyes of the employers between Southampton and Surrey.

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AS12445
Are these uni on par for engineering? Will going to Surrey give me a disadvantage compared to studying at Southampton. I like surreys industry links and work placements abroad. Can someone please give me an answer?

They are both good Russell Group unis :smile:
I'd say to choose which one you would be happiest studying at.
Reply 6
Any more opinions?
Reply 7
Original post by Quantum_of_Hope
They are both good Russell Group unis :smile:
I'd say to choose which one you would be happiest studying at.

Surrey isn't RG. But RG makes no difference for engineering employers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Surrey isn't RG. But RG makes no difference for engineering employers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't realise :/ Is Surrey a good university?
Reply 9
I didn't realise :/ Is Surrey a good university?

Yes.
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes.

Please can you elaborate: what makes it a good uni?

Thanks
Reply 11
Please can you elaborate: what makes it a good uni?

Thanks

Well you thought it was a "good RG" originally so why do you now think it might not be good because you've been told it's not in the RG?

If rankings matter to you it's (overall) 19th in CUG and The Times and 21st in The Guardian.
It has a Gold in TEF.
It awards LOTS of firsts...
Reply 12
There's basically no difference in their quality and prospects. I'd put them both in the category of universities which are good for aerospace engineering albeit a bit overrated.

If you're erring towards space then Surrey has a massive advantage due to SSTL and their positioning in UKSEDS and ESA student projects
Reply 14
Original post by Helloworld_95
There's basically no difference in their quality and prospects. I'd put them both in the category of universities which are good for aerospace engineering albeit a bit overrated.

If you're erring towards space then Surrey has a massive advantage due to SSTL and their positioning in UKSEDS and ESA student projects

Thanks alot. How would you compare them for international job prospects because i would like to work abroad?
Reply 15
Southampton because Southampton is awesome
Reply 16
Southampton for the top 10 , employers don't care about which uni you went to if it is in the top 10
Original post by AS12445
Thanks alot. How would you compare them for international job prospects because i would like to work abroad?

It's difficult to say. While Southampton does much better in the worldwide rankings, which is usually a reasonably good indicator for this, if we're talking about Aerospace jobs specifically then any major company will have heard of SSTL and thus University of Surrey, which may give you an advantage there.
Reply 18
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's difficult to say. While Southampton does much better in the worldwide rankings, which is usually a reasonably good indicator for this, if we're talking about Aerospace jobs specifically then any major company will have heard of SSTL and thus University of Surrey, which may give you an advantage there.

Indeed, especially when SSTL is owned by Airbus...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending