The Student Room Group

Where would you like to visit that no one else seems to have heard of?

Are there any particular places that you would love to visit, but that no one seems to have heard of?
And why would you like to visit?
Id like to visit- El Ateneo Grand Splendid.
It is a bookshop in Buenos Aires in Argentina. Apparently its meant to be the 2nd most beautiful bookshop in the world.
The Devil's Golf Course in Death Valley, California. A salt pan so churned up it's just rugged dead stone for miles on end.
The various islands of French Polynesia with really obscure names, next year I'll be there hopefully!

In the meantime, I'm visiting Calvi on the island of Corsica next month, which is absolutely beautiful but I've never met anyone who has heard of it before .
Niue. Only way to get there is from Auckland. Planning on going there whilst in New Zealand if its affordable.
Not sure actually, ive never really looked into it.
My boyfriends heart.
Ive heard of it.
I went once actually- i was on a cruise, so only stopped there for the day, but it was great.
Id been to Ajaccio in corsica 2 or 3 times on cruises, and that was great too. It also seems a lot more heard of. But ive only been to calvi the once.
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive heard of it.
I went once actually- i was on a cruise, so only stopped there for the day, but it was great.
Id been to Ajaccio in corsica 2 or 3 times on cruises, and that was great too. It also seems a lot more heard of. But ive only been to calvi the once.

Well there is another person out there :ahee:

Yeah cruises only go Calvi very rarely, Ajaccio is a lot more commonly visited because it can accommodate a lot more people while Calvi tends to be limited to smaller ships :yep:

What ship were you on that went to Calvi?
(edited 5 years ago)
It was one of the Thompson cruise ships i went on (called TUI nowadays i believe). I cant remember exactly which of their ships it was, as ive been on a few. So it wasnt as big as some of these other massive cruise ships you see around.
It was one of the Thompson cruise ships i went on (called TUI nowadays i believe). I cant remember exactly which of their ships it was, as ive been on a few. So it wasnt as big as some of these other massive cruise ships you see around.

Ah cool :yy: They're actually called Marcella Cruises now :yep: That's one of the good things about smaller ships though, you can get into small ports that the big ones can't. I've worked on a couple of 3500+ guest ships and I'm now with a company where the largest ship holds 1200, the atmosphere on board tends to be a lot more relaxed here :smile:
Just coming to the end of a 12 day trip round Bulgaria and Romania, and some of the places I didn't get to but would love to are Sibiu, Sighisoara, Plovdiv and Nessebar.

Remarkably clean and tidy countries with a low police presence, little unpleasant "city smell" (Paris) and surprisingly low amount of begging. I've been begged to once on an outside terrace once in the entire time I've been here - on a street terrace in London it will invariably happen to you on every single occasion.
(edited 5 years ago)
Oymyakon, Russia. It's the coldest inhabited town on earth.

I've been working on a novel set in this town for the past five years and would love to go and experience it for myself. There's a tour that departs from Yakutsk but it is a little pricy. :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
Are there any particular places that you would love to visit, but that no one seems to have heard of?
And why would you like to visit?

Baku, Azerbaijan
Study Resources.... it is the last unexplored area of TSR :colondollar:
Original post by SomMC1
Wow very good question. I've only ever been to Spain and London - im European so nothing special and I never really thought about travelling too much. Im more of a workaholic/getting money person - i'll let my family (and girlfriend when i get one) decide on any and all trips:smile:

whats the #1 most beautiful one then:tongue:

Not sure actually, ive never really looked into it.

Here's the top 10. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2008/jan/11/bestukbookshops Trip to Maastricht...?
Longyearbyen, Svaalbard.

Hoping to go next winter.
"Longyearbyen, Svaalbard."

Hmm, I might need to look into that as well.

Quick Reply

Latest