msh15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does anyone know what to work as if you are interested in computer science and want to also do it for a level and university. name any companies or jobs and their salary and how much hours they work
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by msh15)
Does anyone know what to work as if you are interested in computer science and want to also do it for a level and university. name any companies or jobs and their salary and how much hours they work
Computer science is just an academic degree, it doesn't really lead on to any specific career path in and of itself.

A lot of folks who do CS end up as software engineers because they feel it's the "natural progression" from a CS degree but in truth software engineering has very little to do with CS beyond any common fundamental theory. truth is CS doesn't prepare you to be a software engineer - you have to do that yourself through extracurricular projects, learning/tinkering and internships.

You really have to enjoy the whole process of software engineering (which coding is only a small tool for) and have the right kind of temperament for it to be a fruitful career choice.

Most graduate careers are open to people with most degrees and in the case where you need a degree in the area to legally practice there are often conversion/grad entry routes. there is of course the option to also go into research via a PhD.

I think you first need to think about a) which course you'll find the most interesting/can see yourself doing for 3+ years (an essay heavy course? a logic/maths based course? a science based course?) and b) what type of career you'd like to do (a technical one? a quant-y one? a business career? a finance career? a legal career? a health career?).

Sometimes a and b converge (law -> lawyer, medicine -> doctor, engineering -> engineer) but most of the time is very much independent from b (engineering -> quantitative job, history -> lawyer, computer science -> marketing analyst).

Salary wise.. most career paths are the same in terms of the average progression of your compensation at average companies. Maybe start in the 20 to early 30 thousand range, progressing to late 30s to early 60 thousand range and a peak around the 60-120 thousand range.

Some companies/careers are anything but average and as such have pay progression that is significantly higher than what most people will make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AnnaBananana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cyber security is a great area to look into right now. It’s a rapidly growing area with a massive shortage of good people. Many companies are looking for people to recruit and develop, and as there’s a skills shortage the money is good. Look at initiatives like cyber first and cyber challenge uk - and the high profile companies who are involved.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (175)
14.58%
I'm not sure (56)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (350)
29.17%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (584)
48.67%

Watched Threads