What mark would you give this answer to the following question?

Watch
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Explain the impact climate type can have on soil water availability (6 marks)

Temperature and precipitation patterns determine the availability of water and vary according to latitudes. The higher the temperature, the more water is evaporated from water stores and falls during precipitation on land. Seasonality determines the precipitation and temperature patterns, in times where it is mainly rainy like autumn there is going to be more precipitation on land. Summer temperatures increase evaporation rates but plant growth increases transpiration rates, soil stores water in winter for summer use so there is less water in the soil.

I feel like I have written a little too much but still may not hit the full marks, this is A2 Edexcel Geography stuff btw
sjwils
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Explain the impact climate type can have on soil water availability (6 marks)

Temperature and precipitation patterns determine the availability of water and vary according to latitudes. The higher the temperature, the more water is evaporated from water stores and falls during precipitation on land. Seasonality determines the precipitation and temperature patterns, in times where it is mainly rainy like autumn there is going to be more precipitation on land. Summer temperatures increase evaporation rates but plant growth increases transpiration rates, soil stores water in winter for summer use so there is less water in the soil.

I feel like I have written a little too much but still may not hit the full marks, this is A2 Edexcel Geography stuff btw
I didn’t do Edexcel spec, but I would only give that 3/4 maximum...imo it isn’t ‘formatted’ and much more needs to be said - what is water availability? More about seasonality fluctuations, alterations of the water table - what water stores? In my spec (CCEA) we had to be very specific. Yes more evaporation occurs in the summer, and plant growth will increase transpiration rates but you need to mention at this point how this affects the soil stores. More precipitation in AW = water stores full...climate type is very vague so I would be mentioning colder climates eg Alaska and the permafrost, what about places in drought or drier climates such as California or Australia? Again not sure how your spec works, but I would be making my answer a lot more specific. For a 6 mark question we were writing almost if not more than half an A4 Page (mark a minute)
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by sjwils)
I didn’t do Edexcel spec, but I would only give that 3/4 maximum...imo it isn’t ‘formatted’ and much more needs to be said - what is water availability? More about seasonality fluctuations, alterations of the water table - what water stores? In my spec (CCEA) we had to be very specific. Yes more evaporation occurs in the summer, and plant growth will increase transpiration rates but you need to mention at this point how this affects the soil stores. More precipitation in AW = water stores full...climate type is very vague so I would be mentioning colder climates eg Alaska and the permafrost, what about places in drought or drier climates such as California or Australia? Again not sure how your spec works, but I would be making my answer a lot more specific. For a 6 mark question we were writing almost if not more than half an A4 Page (mark a minute)
Half a page for a 6 marker? In the exam we are given little space to write a 6 mark answer, my handwriting is average in size but the answer I gave to that question would also slightly struggle to fit the space they give us in the exam.
sjwils
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Half a page for a 6 marker? In the exam we are given little space to write a 6 mark answer, my handwriting is average in size but the answer I gave to that question would also slightly struggle to fit the space they give us in the exam.
For my spec yes. At A2 we weren’t restricted for space and instead just had to answer in as much detail as possible. I don’t know your spec personally though so can’t comment, I just know using more detail and squishing it all turned out well for myself and my classmates who did the same
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise