Help on Macbeth Watch

Alimanz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to know how Banquo is an important character in Macbeth. Can anyone send some quotes with context that i can write about? Thanks.
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry it's been about a year since I did Macbeth so I don't remember the quotes. However, you can compare him and Macbeth. Show the contrast between the two by highlighting the different attitudes they had to the witches. Because he was with macbeth when they saw the witches, it makes him significant. Compare the loyalty towards Duncan both characters had. You could also talk about the ghost because he was a figure of Macbeth's subconscious.

I can't find quotes for you because I haven't got my resources anymore. Try using google to get some quotes. Also, I would recommend Mr Brufff (https://mrbruff.com/) he has great notes and you might get a lot more help from his videos and resources.
Amy7702
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I threw all my quotes away but he’s an important character because: He is a good moral hero and the true hero of the play as he instantly realises that the witches are evil and he knew that he shouldn’t get involved in their business. He said something insulting the witches in the first act.
He tried to advise Macbeth on not listening to them and tried to help him to begin with. He makes a good comparison of good and evil with Macbeth.
His ghost heavily impacts Macbeth and even makes him feel guilty which gives a major step forward to the denouement of the play (resolution which is Macbeth’s death which had to happen to restore nature’s balance).
He was like a martyr and definitely the true hero of the play because he fought with Macbeth in the battle in the beginning where both Macbeth and Banquo were heroic soldiers fighting for their country and Banquo still lived up to that loyal and heroic title up until his death whereas Macbeth chose a path of immortality and evil.
He also suspected Macbeth straight away of the killing of Duncan (regicide) which shows how he was insightful and moral with no clouded judgement.

That’s all I can remember off the top of my head but still some good points there that I used in my GCSE exam about Macbeth, Banquo and the supernatural 👍🏼
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
"that not look like th'inhabitants o'th'earth"
banquo's already expressing suspicion due to the witches' appearances
context: witches and supernatural would have been considered out of this world or other worldly at the time.

"merciful powers restrain in me the cursed thoughts that nature gives way in repose"
banquo cannot sleep due to the thoughts provoked by the witches' prophecies- contrast to macbeth who was much less weary about the effects of interacting with the supernatural.

"... set me up in hope? but hush, no more"
as banquo has seen the prophecies come true for macbeth, he's hoping that they may work in his favour too. however the 'hush no more' suggests that he's scared to ponder on the idea for too long.

would add more quotes but i'm really tired so please tell me if you feel like this is not enough!
Alimanz
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
"that not look like th'inhabitants o'th'earth"
banquo's already expressing suspicion due to the witches' appearances
context: witches and supernatural would have been considered out of this world or other worldly at the time.

"merciful powers restrain in me the cursed thoughts that nature gives way in repose"
banquo cannot sleep due to the thoughts provoked by the witches' prophecies- contrast to macbeth who was much less weary about the effects of interacting with the supernatural.

"... set me up in hope? but hush, no more"
as banquo has seen the prophecies come true for macbeth, he's hoping that they may work in his favour too. however the 'hush no more' suggests that he's scared to ponder on the idea for too long.

would add more quotes but i'm really tired so please tell me if you feel like this is not enough!
Thanks everyone. And the quotes are great but if you don't mind (doesn't have to be today) can you add some more please?
Sarahgoldman
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Alimanz)
Thanks everyone. And the quotes are great but if you don't mind (doesn't have to be today) can you add some more please?
Hi are u going into year 11
Alimanz
Rep:
?
Yep
(Original post by Sarahgoldman)
Hi are u going into year 11
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
yep, sure- here are the rest of them;
"if you can look into the seeds of time and say which grain will grow"
the conjunction 'if' emphasises his scepticism of the truth of the witches' prophecies however he's likely also curious as to whether these prophecies will actually ring true.

"the instruments of darkness tell us truths; win us with honest trifles"
banquo is more aware of the dangers of the supernatural compared to macbeth. he may also fear the supernatural- "instruments" implies that darkness can take many different forms and the witches are only one of their devices.

"still keep my bosom franchis'd and allegiance clear"

banquo is open to having further conversations with macbeth about the witches providing that he's not obliged to do anything that he's uncomfortable with. he clearly wants to remain loyal to the king to keep his conscious clear but again, is curious about the witches. he's a strong, steadfast character.

"i fear thou played'st most foully for't"

he didn't expect macbeth to be this type of person, a changed character to what he was previously and is also scared of what he could potentially do next. it's possible he may also be jealous of all that macbeth's gained recently but also a rather observant character.

"good sir why do you start and seem to fear things that sound so fair?"
implies that banquo looks up to macbeth- at this initial point in the play he was seen as a good character but also one that lacked ambition and doubted himself a lot.
Crazypink48
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I want to know how Banquo is an important character in Macbeth. Can anyone send some quotes with context that i can write about? Thanks.
You can use Banquo as a distinct contrast to Macbeth. When Macbeth and Banquo first meet the witches, Banquo has doubts about the witches' motives. He recognises that they are evil and 'instruments of darkness'. Like Macbeth, Banquo also has ambition and wants his son to become king however he doesn't act on his ambition, like Macbeth, and leaves it to fate. Therefore Banquo is not affected, like Macbeth is, by the witches' prophecies.
Sarahgoldman
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Crazypink48)
You can use Banquo as a distinct contrast to Macbeth. When Macbeth and Banquo first meet the witches, Banquo has doubts about the witches' motives. He recognises that they are evil and 'instruments of darkness'. Like Macbeth, Banquo also has ambition and wants his son to become king however he doesn't act on his ambition, like Macbeth, and leaves it to fate. Therefore Banquo is not affected, like Macbeth is, by the witches' prophecies.
Have any quotes for Macbeth character
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%