The Student Room Group

Is this a Good (Engineering) Degree?

It's an engineering degree from Loughborough so I think it's fair to make an assumption that yes, it is a good degree
Reply 2

Why do you think it might not be? Are you applying through Clearing?

Also, have you visited L'boro?
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Why do you think it might not be? Are you applying through Clearing?

Also, have you visited L'boro?

I did not apply for clearing. I got into Loughborough University by applying to do a "Design" course as they offered the best ones in the country that aren't Art courses, Product Design, Industrial Design, etc.

I changed to an engineering degree because I wanted to do something like computer science but felt as if I need some problems solving knowledge that comes with engineering. Hence the course change, although with the name and module choices, I can't help but feel like it is slightly gimmicky and I'm not sure whether it would be worthwhile studying pure computer science or pure engineering (which I don't think I could do).

I very much like Loughborough University after visiting the campus.

What do you want to do career-wise?

This course is accredited by the IET so yes, it's a 'good' degree.
Reply 5
Original post by fly_george
I did not apply for clearing. I got into Loughborough University by applying to do a "Design" course as they offered the best ones in the country that aren't Art courses, Product Design, Industrial Design, etc.

I changed to an engineering degree because I wanted to do something like computer science but felt as if I need some problems solving knowledge that comes with engineering. Hence the course change, although with the name and module choices, I can't help but feel like it is slightly gimmicky and I'm not sure whether it would be worthwhile studying pure computer science or pure engineering (which I don't think I could do).

I very much like Loughborough University after visiting the campus.

It's not a gimmick. No. :smile: For one it's a fully accredited engineering course.

If you enjoy the modules/content then it sounds like the perfect course for you. Have fun at Loughborough :yy:
Reply 6
Original post by Duncan2012
What do you want to do career-wise?

This course is accredited by the IET so yes, it's a 'good' degree.

I'm kind of expecting to have the choice to become an electrical engineer or computer scientist if I decide to pick the right modules or do work on the side.

Ideally I'd love to work for a tech firm in London (cliché) working in a product development team.
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
It's not a gimmick. No. :smile: For one it's a fully accredited engineering course.

If you enjoy the modules/content then it sounds like the perfect course for you. Have fun at Loughborough :yy:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest