BlandingsEmpress
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
I'm looking to apply for a postgraduate (master's) loan, and I'd just like to make sure I'm eligible for it.
I'm an EU citizen, but I've been in the UK for 11 years. I've just finished an undergraduate degree (3 years, a year before that was a different degree that I transferred from), getting Maintenance Loan, Maintenance Grant, and Tuition-Fee Loans.

I have lived in the UK all that time, but I've been abroad for 3 months and 2 weeks last year (and somewhere around 2 months the year before that, and probably every summer before that). These were just holidays to visit my family in Poland (I didn't work there or anything).

Would any of these visits (especially the most recent one that was 3 months and 2 years) negatively impact my residency status and make me ineligible for the postgraduate loan?

Furthermore, would I definitely be entitled to the full 10,600 postgraduate loan? I know it doesn't take into account household income (I don't live with my parents for what it's worth), but as I will have my father take out a bank loan to pay the tuition fees upfront (It's with OU and needs to be paid upfront, plus it's too late for their OUSBA, oops).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Duncan SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BlandingsEmpress)
Hi,
I'm looking to apply for a postgraduate (master's) loan, and I'd just like to make sure I'm eligible for it.
I'm an EU citizen, but I've been in the UK for 11 years. I've just finished an undergraduate degree (3 years, a year before that was a different degree that I transferred from), getting Maintenance Loan, Maintenance Grant, and Tuition-Fee Loans.

I have lived in the UK all that time, but I've been abroad for 3 months and 2 weeks last year (and somewhere around 2 months the year before that, and probably every summer before that). These were just holidays to visit my family in Poland (I didn't work there or anything).

Would any of these visits (especially the most recent one that was 3 months and 2 years) negatively impact my residency status and make me ineligible for the postgraduate loan?

Furthermore, would I definitely be entitled to the full 10,600 postgraduate loan? I know it doesn't take into account household income (I don't live with my parents for what it's worth), but as I will have my father take out a bank loan to pay the tuition fees upfront (It's with OU and needs to be paid upfront, plus it's too late for their OUSBA, oops).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Hi,

as your stay outside the UK is due to travel reasons this wouldn't impact your application when it comes to applying for the Postgraduate Loan as holiday periods are not taken into account. We would only take into account a break in residency if you left the UK to work or settle elsewhere. We would recommend you submit an application via your online account here; http://ow.ly/sDWQ30kZf4i so our assessors can review to determine eligibility.

Regards, Duncan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
12.5%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
31.25%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
9.38%
No, I haven't received any communication (15)
46.88%

Watched Threads