The Student Room Group

I have a serious problem? PLEASE HELP!

REVISION!!! STUDYING!!! i literally cannot physically get myself to do it. i wish i was like those people that can just go home and start revising for 5 straight hours everyday and make it a routine. But I literally cant. Ive tried to make it fun and made a routine and timetable and list and write it all down but that list never pushes me to do anything at all. Even looking at it gave me 0 motivation.

Ive tried everything.

Making a timetable, pushing myself to revise, even studying for 30 minute or 1 hour intervals with breaks in-between, giving myself little rewards, thinking of the ‘end goal’ whatever that is… thinking of the consequences if I don’t… nothing helps.. Nothing… ive literally sat for hours trying to do one task and still don’t finish it. And only till the last minute, just the day before its due I literally have no choice but TO DO IT, so I do with minimum effort and time and have always scraped through just about. And its not like im dumb because everything ive done ive understood and have been getting decent grades its just actually doing it.

E.G. my sister has naturally this trait where as soon as she gets some work or is notified of a test on that day she will do the work on that day she will revise and do all of that consistently up until the test or due work. But I literally psychically cant do it. and its not like she was taught it or told to do it she just naturally does it and it makes me think maybe im just not naturally good at revising or studying.

Its gotten so bad that even though I really wanted to revise and was motivated in the beginning I ended up procrastinating and postponing all of my work and notes over these 6 WEEKS HOLIDAYS !!!! And have now only 2 days to catch up on my entire whole of year 1 A level NOTES AND HOMEWORK AND PERSONAL STATEMENT.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??? Why cant I do anything? Its not like I was enjoying my holidays either because I kept thinking of work and how I should do it but didn’t so I didn’t exactly enjoy my holidays or do anything fun.

i genuinely think i have a problem (although ive been like this ever since i can remember ... ive always done homework and stuff last minute .. i think?? well more or less but now i feel like its just become extreme )
We are literally the exact same!!!
But I'm going to change this year and you can too!

I will be more than happy to help

Procrastination is my biggest weakness!
Therefore I do have some tips to help beat it!

Personally, I'm going to do the following in order to beat procrastination and focus on my work and academic life:

This is my (non procrastination) routine for Year 13:

- Wake up early, get ready and leave the house only checking my phone for notifications etc.

- come home from College, give my phone to my parents straight away and get changed.
(Wear some comfortable loose clothes, not nighties!)

- Have a snack (fruit, snack bar, cheeky chocolate, drink, sandwich, tea etc)

- Then at 4:30 / 5pm I will make my way upstairs and start working on anything I've got on my TO-DO list that day until 8pm (maybe longer if there is an exam etc).

*TIPS TO AVOID PROCRASTINATION WHILST STUDYING*

- Reward yourself for every 30 mins / 1 hour you spend revising with something you enjoy (watch a video, listen to music, have some sweets - every 30 mins allow yourself to have 10 M and Ms etc).

- Turn your phone off or leave it downstairs as I do to prevent you checking it.
Download an extension onto your laptop that means you can't go on YouTube or play games etc whilst using the laptop for revision!

- Do shorter sessions / take regular breaks (during these breaks leave the room you're revising in!
Take a walk, go outside in the garden, have a snack etc.
Clear your mind and do something that helps you relax / makes you happy!)

For example:
After 8pm every day I will relax, do something fun, spend time with my family etc. This means I will be able to clear my mind and prepare it for the next day of work.

One tip that someone else mentioned:

Think of every day as a work day / as a revision day. Then instead of fitting in revision sessions... Fit in your times to have fun, to eat, to sleep etc. This way you will remain focused and be much more productive on a day to day basis!

Also you could implement the rule of 8 into your routine for the weekend or during the holidays.
There are 24 hours in a day...
- spend 8 hours revising
- spend 8 hours sleeping
- spend 8 hours doing other things (eating, watching TV or going out with family and friends etc).
This is a great method!

Hope I could help
Let me know if you need anything else

Here are two website blockers you can use:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lahlfoji?hl=en

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...eojpcgbh?hl=en

Good luck!

Feel free to PM me with any more questions etc

You can do it!
Ok, the previous poster is probably going to be more helpful than me but a schedule has NEVER worked for me. Personally, i find one interesting/worrying thing that I haven't done and try to make it fun or create some form of a deadline for myself. For example, if I want to write up some notes that i find boring, I will agree to send the notes to a teacher or something to help them create resources. This makes a deadline and makes your bain panic and actually do the work haha
The Americans use a little thing called "Adderall."

On a serious note, if you can't revise for something, then that something isn't interesting to you. Life is too short to do things you aren't interested in. It is estimated that it takes a million hours to reach mastery over something.
Original post by Ariel2611
We are literally the exact same!!!
But I'm going to change this year and you can too!

I will be more than happy to help

Procrastination is my biggest weakness!
Therefore I do have some tips to help beat it!

Personally, I'm going to do the following in order to beat procrastination and focus on my work and academic life:

This is my (non procrastination) routine for Year 13:

- Wake up early, get ready and leave the house only checking my phone for notifications etc.

- come home from College, give my phone to my parents straight away and get changed.
(Wear some comfortable loose clothes, not nighties!)

- Have a snack (fruit, snack bar, cheeky chocolate, drink, sandwich, tea etc)

- Then at 4:30 / 5pm I will make my way upstairs and start working on anything I've got on my TO-DO list that day until 8pm (maybe longer if there is an exam etc).

*TIPS TO AVOID PROCRASTINATION WHILST STUDYING*

- Reward yourself for every 30 mins / 1 hour you spend revising with something you enjoy (watch a video, listen to music, have some sweets - every 30 mins allow yourself to have 10 M and Ms etc).

- Turn your phone off or leave it downstairs as I do to prevent you checking it.
Download an extension onto your laptop that means you can't go on YouTube or play games etc whilst using the laptop for revision!

- Do shorter sessions / take regular breaks (during these breaks leave the room you're revising in!
Take a walk, go outside in the garden, have a snack etc.
Clear your mind and do something that helps you relax / makes you happy!)

For example:
After 8pm every day I will relax, do something fun, spend time with my family etc. This means I will be able to clear my mind and prepare it for the next day of work.

One tip that someone else mentioned:

Think of every day as a work day / as a revision day. Then instead of fitting in revision sessions... Fit in your times to have fun, to eat, to sleep etc. This way you will remain focused and be much more productive on a day to day basis!

Also you could implement the rule of 8 into your routine for the weekend or during the holidays.
There are 24 hours in a day...
- spend 8 hours revising
- spend 8 hours sleeping
- spend 8 hours doing other things (eating, watching TV or going out with family and friends etc).
This is a great method!

Hope I could help
Let me know if you need anything else

Here are two website blockers you can use:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lahlfoji?hl=en

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...eojpcgbh?hl=en

Good luck!

Feel free to PM me with any more questions etc

You can do it!

wowww!!!!

THANK YOU SOO MUCH !!!!
this whole detailed plan is amazing ill try to stick to it ! sooo glad im not the only one who has done literally 0 revision and procrastinated too much lmao .
Original post by TechnoPirate
The Americans use a little thing called "Adderall."

On a serious note, if you can't revise for something, then that something isn't interesting to you. Life is too short to do things you aren't interested in. It is estimated that it takes a million hours to reach mastery over something.

lmao, i was seriously considering to use Adderall XD but .. its illegal in the uk LMAO ... sucks man i really need all the help i can get.
but yh ur right life is short but i dont really have a choice to just quit now and restart over :/ ive come too far so might aswell finish it lol...
Original post by Imzy010
lmao, i was seriously considering to use Adderall XD but .. its illegal in the uk LMAO ... sucks man i really need all the help i can get.
but yh ur right life is short but i dont really have a choice to just quit now and restart over :/ ive come too far so might aswell finish it lol...

Marijuana is illegal, as is cocaine, however I know numerous people capable of getting me some within hours. I highly doubt adderall would be more difficult to acquire than that. One of the "perks" of being working class I suppose, being closer to the criminal element/underground/black market.
Original post by TechnoPirate
Marijuana is illegal, as is cocaine, however I know numerous people capable of getting me some within hours. I highly doubt adderall would be more difficult to acquire than that. One of the "perks" of being working class I suppose, being closer to the criminal element/underground/black market.

well tbh i can do the same for the other stuff ... but i dont know anyone that supplies Adderall ... loool
...most people will just be like HMM?? what is that???
Original post by Imzy010
REVISION!!! STUDYING!!! i literally cannot physically get myself to do it. i wish i was like those people that can just go home and start revising for 5 straight hours everyday and make it a routine. But I literally cant. Ive tried to make it fun and made a routine and timetable and list and write it all down but that list never pushes me to do anything at all. Even looking at it gave me 0 motivation.

Ive tried everything.

Making a timetable, pushing myself to revise, even studying for 30 minute or 1 hour intervals with breaks in-between, giving myself little rewards, thinking of the ‘end goal’ whatever that is… thinking of the consequences if I don’t… nothing helps.. Nothing… ive literally sat for hours trying to do one task and still don’t finish it. And only till the last minute, just the day before its due I literally have no choice but TO DO IT, so I do with minimum effort and time and have always scraped through just about. And its not like im dumb because everything ive done ive understood and have been getting decent grades its just actually doing it.

E.G. my sister has naturally this trait where as soon as she gets some work or is notified of a test on that day she will do the work on that day she will revise and do all of that consistently up until the test or due work. But I literally psychically cant do it. and its not like she was taught it or told to do it she just naturally does it and it makes me think maybe im just not naturally good at revising or studying.

Its gotten so bad that even though I really wanted to revise and was motivated in the beginning I ended up procrastinating and postponing all of my work and notes over these 6 WEEKS HOLIDAYS !!!! And have now only 2 days to catch up on my entire whole of year 1 A level NOTES AND HOMEWORK AND PERSONAL STATEMENT.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??? Why cant I do anything? Its not like I was enjoying my holidays either because I kept thinking of work and how I should do it but didn’t so I didn’t exactly enjoy my holidays or do anything fun.

i genuinely think i have a problem (although i've been like this ever since i can remember ... ive always done homework and stuff last minute .. i think?? well more or less but now i feel like its just become extreme )

****ing hell this is a paragraph I can relate to. Wish I could meet u lol so we can cry over not revising together. (I'm not weird I'm just in that post traumatic stress phase of knowing that yet again I have not done any revision today). Honestly I wish I knew how to help you, because I know your struggle and would need to use some advice too. I literally cannot revise either. Like it's not because I don't want to, because I really do want to, I want to get good grades, but most of all I want to have deserved a good grade. But I know now that I don't, and even though it's a pathetic excuse, I know I wont get the grades I really want because I don't revise. I WANT TO REVISE!!!! Ever heard that come out of someones mouth now haha?! I will actually flipping die if I have to retake any exams. probably would serve me right lol. I almost wish we didn't have holidays anytime before exams as I forget EVERYTHING. No kidding. I posted a question a few minutes ago (because thats how long it's taking me to right this LOL) about not being able to revise. Have fun and don't stress too much about not revising, because doesn't improve your grades, trust me on that one (from many many personal experiences). Also lol guess what, I am writing this out as procrastination! Not surprised tbh. Lol. Anyway, have a nice life, byee
Original post by flip.help.me
****ing hell this is a paragraph I can relate to. Wish I could meet u lol so we can cry over not revising together. (I'm not weird I'm just in that post traumatic stress phase of knowing that yet again I have not done any revision today). Honestly I wish I knew how to help you, because I know your struggle and would need to use some advice too. I literally cannot revise either. Like it's not because I don't want to, because I really do want to, I want to get good grades, but most of all I want to have deserved a good grade. But I know now that I don't, and even though it's a pathetic excuse, I know I wont get the grades I really want because I don't revise. I WANT TO REVISE!!!! Ever heard that come out of someones mouth now haha?! I will actually flipping die if I have to retake any exams. probably would serve me right lol. I almost wish we didn't have holidays anytime before exams as I forget EVERYTHING. No kidding. I posted a question a few minutes ago (because thats how long it's taking me to right this LOL) about not being able to revise. Have fun and don't stress too much about not revising, because doesn't improve your grades, trust me on that one (from many many personal experiences). Also lol guess what, I am writing this out as procrastination! Not surprised tbh. Lol. Anyway, have a nice life, byee

DUUUUUUUDDEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE LITERALLY MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

i want to revise but i cant :cry2: and i will literally die if i have to retake too :cry2: and i literally forget everything after the lessons end ESPECIALLY after holidays its like my brain has been wiped :cry2:

looool what should we do :P im just hoping to just get it over and done with as exams are so close now even if i fail lol ill find some way to do something... :smile: and you will too !!! good luck and byeeeeeeeee xxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest