Personal Statement for both dentistry and pharmacy

Watch this thread
Studentperson1
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm applying to do both dentistry and pharmacy so need to make my personal statement generic enough to include both of them. I'm worried that if I talk about being interested in both courses that it will look like I'm not committed. Not too sure on how to balance info talking about pharmacy and dentistry Also not sure how to structure it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Studentperson1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Im applying to do both dentistry and pharmacy so need to make my personal statement generic enough to include both of them. I'm worried that if I talk about being interested in both courses that it will look like I'm not committed. Not too sure on how to balance info talking about pharmacy and dentistry Also not sure how to structure it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Studentperson1)
I'm applying to do both dentistry and pharmacy so need to make my personal statement generic enough to include both of them. I'm worried that if I talk about being interested in both courses that it will look like I'm not committed. Not too sure on how to balance info talking about pharmacy and dentistry Also not sure how to structure it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated
It is pretty much impossible to do that. It's not directly relatable but I help medical students with personal statements and this is a common question. You don't want to write one that's half-hearted towards one course and half-hearted towards another,

Basically, write your PS towards the more competitive course, otherwise you will most likely get an outright rejection. Assuming that you are not applying to top unis for your "secondary" course, they will know that you are applying to them as a backup and usually they are OK with it.
lionike123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do separate ones.
Studentperson1
Rep:
Thanks, I'm just not sure if pharmacy will be ok with it because I was speaking to a professor who said that applicants with dentistry personal statements are rejected
BlueSpikes
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Just apply 4 dentistry.
Clearing have plenty of pharmacy vacancies at many universities who at that point dont care about your ps.
Studentperson1
Rep:
Ok thanks, do you know what universities don't mind? I would like to apply for pharmacy at Ulster university and QUB but don't know how they feel about the personal statement for pharmacy. Also, is it true that if you apply to do 2 different courses at the same uni that it's frowned upon?
BlueSpikes
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Ok thanks, do you know what universities don't mind? I would like to apply for pharmacy at Ulster university and QUB but don't know how they feel about the personal statement for pharmacy. Also, is it true that if you apply to do 2 different courses at the same uni that it's frowned upon?
Yes its frowned upon.

What i meant is apply using all 4 choices for dentistry.
Have pharmacy as ur insurance choice.
And apply to pharmacy in clearing after a level results as they have plenty of vacancies at many top universities e.g. newcastle .
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Im applying to do both dentistry and pharmacy so need to make my personal statement generic enough to include both of them. I'm worried that if I talk about being interested in both courses that it will look like I'm not committed. Not too sure on how to balance info talking about pharmacy and dentistry Also not sure how to structure it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Given that you have only one PS I would suggest aiming it solely at dentistry. Pharmacy departments are used to being the fifth choice for medicine and dentistry applicants.
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lionike123)
Do separate ones.
You only get one personal statement on UCAS....

Posted from TSR Mobile
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
@Bobwibbles is right. You don't want to apply to the same Uni twice for different courses using the same PS.

Back when yours truly was applying I used a medical PS and applied to UCL for biomedical sciences. Still got an offer (declined) I think it'll be harder now
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
@Bobwibbles is right. You don't want to apply to the same Uni twice for different courses using the same PS.

Back when yours truly was applying I used a medical PS and applied to UCL for biomedical sciences. Still got an offer (declined) I think it'll be harder now
You sure? My friend applied to two courses at the same uni and got offers from both of them using the same PS(medicine and biomedicine)
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
You sure? My friend applied to two courses at the same uni and got offers from both of them using the same PS(medicine and biomedicine)
It depends on which Uni, if it's not particularly competitive then there's probably no harm. Let's say you're applying to Oxford medicine and Oxford pharmacy then obviously it's a no-no. (different colleges could be different though)
alleycat393
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Ask your pharmacy uni if they need a separate statement. If not as above tailor it to dentistry.
FHK340
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'm also thinking of applying to both but I literally thought I was the only person who wanted to dentistry/pharmacy lmao. Id says if you want to study dentistry badly then just focus on dentistry. Dental schools are looking for PS that show dedication to dentistry and including another subject doesn't really show that. I think I've made the decision to just stick to dentistry in my PS and worst-case scenario try and get into Pharmacy by clearing? Hope I helped
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fkhan2202)
I'm also thinking of applying to both but I literally thought I was the only person who wanted to dentistry/pharmacy lmao. Id says if you want to study dentistry badly then just focus on dentistry. Dental schools are looking for PS that show dedication to dentistry and including another subject doesn't really show that. I think I've made the decision to just stick to dentistry in my PS and worst-case scenario try and get into Pharmacy by clearing? Hope I helped
I’m sure this helped but this thread is 2 years old. Hopefully, OP got their offer and are doing either Dentistry or Pharmacy!
FHK340
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
LOL I didn't even realise! And yeah hopefully, wonder what they ended up writing in their PS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (46)
30.46%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (67)
44.37%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (37)
24.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.66%

Watched Threads