The Student Room Group

How to become Vegan?

I have wanted to become a vegan for quite a long time but i don't know exactly where to start. All the products I buy are cruelty free as well as the clothes i buy.

Is there any supplements I need to buy?
is there anything i need to be careful about?

Any tips would be incredibly helpful?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have wanted to become a vegan for quite a long time but i don't know exactly where to start. All the products I buy are cruelty free as well as the clothes i buy.

Hi :smile: I've been vegan for 2 and a half years, and I do not regret it one bit! It is very rewarding being a vegan - I definitely recommend it.
If you live in the UK, Holland & Barrett's do a really good vegan multivitamin tablet.
What else would you like tips on?
Be clear regarding for what reason you're turning into a veggie lover. This is an immense change in your way of life, not to be messed with as a pattern. Having your reasons lined out won't just guarantee that you don't squander your opportunity and endeavors accomplishing something you're not so much enthusiastic about, however, it'll additionally enable you to stay with it. Also, answer questions when individuals raise an eyebrow at your eating decisions! On the off chance that there's a specific paper, picture, or statement that strengthens your longing to end up a vegetarian, print it out and place it in a place where you'll see it regularly, similar to your cooler.
Original post by Quantum_of_Hope
Hi :smile: I've been vegan for 2 and a half years, and I do not regret it one bit! It is very rewarding being a vegan - I definitely recommend it.
If you live in the UK, Holland & Barrett's do a really good vegan multivitamin tablet.
What else would you like tips on?

Hi,

Is that the only supplement you take. Because i have read that it is recommended that i take Vitamin B12, Iodine.

Also what's your opinion on the powders like Spirulina? (i think thats how its spelt).

Also what are your go to recipes for either breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks??
Original post by EmmaGreen888
Be clear regarding for what reason you're turning into a veggie lover. This is an immense change in your way of life, not to be messed with as a pattern. Having your reasons lined out won't just guarantee that you don't squander your opportunity and endeavors accomplishing something you're not so much enthusiastic about, however, it'll additionally enable you to stay with it. Also, answer questions when individuals raise an eyebrow at your eating decisions! On the off chance that there's a specific paper, picture, or statement that strengthens your longing to end up a vegetarian, print it out and place it in a place where you'll see it regularly, similar to your cooler.

The main reason i want to become vegan is because of my love for animals and my strong disagreement with animal cruelty. I have felt guilty for a long time every time i eat meat. I decided that its pointless feeling guilty every time and decided that i needed to change my lifestyle.

The only thing I'm worried about is developing vitamin deficiencies
Original post by beccakalam1
Hi,

Is that the only supplement you take. Because i have read that it is recommended that i take Vitamin B12, Iodine.

Also what's your opinion on the powders like Spirulina? (i think thats how its spelt).

Also what are your go to recipes for either breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks??

I also take an Osteocare calcium and magnesium tablet.

Powders like spirulina are a good addition when making smoothies. Chia seeds are also really good!

I tend to make smoothies and soups. Nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, vegan yoghurts, olives, hummus and falafel are all nice vegan things too :smile:
Original post by Quantum_of_Hope
I also take an Osteocare calcium and magnesium tablet.

Powders like spirulina are a good addition when making smoothies. Chia seeds are also really good!

I tend to make smoothies and soups. Nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, vegan yoghurts, olives, hummus and falafel are all nice vegan things too :smile:

thank you, where do you get your vitamin B12 from?
thank you, where do you get your vitamin B12 from?

It's in the Holland and Barret Vegan multivitamin :smile:
I use fortified foods to get vitamins. I was taking the vegan multivitamin from Holland and Barrett as well, but found I was getting more than enough of what I needed in the food I ate. You can get nutritional yeast with b12, and fortified cereals, plant milks, meat substitutes, spreads, etc
Reply 9
The main reason i want to become vegan is because of my love for animals and my strong disagreement with animal cruelty. I have felt guilty for a long time every time i eat meat. I decided that its pointless feeling guilty every time and decided that i needed to change my lifestyle.

The only thing I'm worried about is developing vitamin deficiencies

Why not just go vegetarian and only buy milk, cheese etc from places where the animals are well looked after?
Original post by Anonymous

Vegan is stupid - we are naturally carnivores - if need be go veggie - I have two children who are veggie and one who is vegan - guess who is the nightmare child. ( I am carnivore btw - but not rampantly and am veggie quite a lot of the time)
Original post by Jono*
Why not just go vegetarian and only buy milk, cheese etc from places where the animals are well looked after?

still held against their will, also milk and cheese and eggs arent healthy either.

Original post by squeakysquirrel
Vegan is stupid - we are naturally carnivores - if need be go veggie - I have two children who are veggie and one who is vegan - guess who is the nightmare child. ( I am carnivore btw - but not rampantly and am veggie quite a lot of the time)

dont know if youre retarded or not, but last time i checked having 5 fruits a day wasnt psuedoscience. if u eat a carnivore diet you are officially braindead, bit embarrasing that youre kids are smarter than you!

b12 is in soy and almond milk from alpro which is a good source, if you live in the uk, iceland seem to have a partnership with some special vegan company and they make really good burgers and stuff, the brand is called like "no bull" and "no chick" followed by burger or strips or something, id especially reccomend the jalapeno burger
https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/search?w=no%20bull&ref=groceries.iceland.co.uk%2F&no%20bull
Reply 12
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jono*
So do you believe having pets is wrong? Milk, eggs and cheese are healthy especially eggs which are extremely healthy and are one of the best forms of protein you can get.

do you have any evidence showing that saturated fat and cholestrol is not bad for you? because eggs have alot of it

having pets is a strange topic really, i dont really believe in breeders but adopting a dog or whatever to give them a home is fine, especially when they would be dead if you hadnt of done so. the dog should be free to leave whenever they please though
Supplementing vitamin B12 would be my first suggestion to vegan, as it is technically not naturally occurring and in any food (vegan or not). The only reason some meats have it, is because livestock are supplemented B12 to keep them healthy.
Original post by squeakysquirrel

You're providing no productive or helpful information to OP. He/she has already made the personal decision to go vegan, and it has been well established that a vegan diet can supply a human being with all of the necessary nutrition they need. So why try and push your own dietary choices onto OP? Smh.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Gent2324
still held against their will, also milk and cheese and eggs arent healthy either.

dont know if youre retarded or not, but last time i checked having 5 fruits a day wasnt psuedoscience. if u eat a carnivore diet you are officially braindead, bit embarrasing that youre kids are smarter than you!

b12 is in soy and almond milk from alpro which is a good source, if you live in the uk, iceland seem to have a partnership with some special vegan company and they make really good burgers and stuff, the brand is called like "no bull" and "no chick" followed by burger or strips or something, id especially reccomend the jalapeno burger
https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/search?w=no%20bull&ref=groceries.iceland.co.uk%2F&no%20bull

Phew you are making assumptions that my children are smarter than me. You do your cause no good. Prove it
Reply 17
Original post by Gent2324
do you have any evidence showing that saturated fat and cholestrol is not bad for you? because eggs have alot of it

having pets is a strange topic really, i dont really believe in breeders but adopting a dog or whatever to give them a home is fine, especially when they would be dead if you hadnt of done so. the dog should be free to leave whenever they please though

So if your dog ran away you wouldn't look for it? You would just leave it to be a stray and live it's life digging in trash until it is euthanized?
Reply 18
Original post by Funkymintbrother
You're providing no productive or helpful information to OP. He/she has already made the personal decision to go vegan, and it has been well established that a vegan diet can supply a human being with all of the necessary nutrition they need. So why try and push your own dietary choices onto OP? Smh.

according to my notifications this is a reply to me, I didn't post this it was a quote gone wrong
Original post by Jono*
according to my notifications this is a reply to me, I didn't post this it was a quote gone wrong

Yeah my bad, just realised there was some sort of glitch.

Quick Reply