The Student Room Group

Ancient History - GCSE - OCR

Hi there
My daughter is about to start studying for a GCSE in Ancient History with OCR exam board.

The first part of the course is Greece the second part is about the Roman Empire.
Does anyone know whether studying about the Roman Empire before Greece will but her at a disadvantage.

Thanks in advance
Original post by N H
Hi there
My daughter is about to start studying for a GCSE in Ancient History with OCR exam board.

The first part of the course is Greece the second part is about the Roman Empire.
Does anyone know whether studying about the Roman Empire before Greece will but her at a disadvantage.

Thanks in advance

I am assuming this is J198. the specification doesnt appear to be on the OCR website at the moment. Has seh talked to the teacher why they want to do it in that order?

I have had a look at the previous specification J151 and the periods studied are self contained with no overlap. No disadvantage.

If there had been though, what would you have done about it?
Reply 2
Yes the J198
My daughter is home educated and the on-line course offering the program covers Greece at a time she already has a class, we were given the option of joining the class on the Roman Empire this year and then studying Greece next year and wondered whether this would put her at a disadvantage.

Original post by 999tigger
I am assuming this is J198. the specification doesnt appear to be on the OCR website at the moment. Has seh talked to the teacher why they want to do it in that order?

I have had a look at the previous specification J151 and the periods studied are self contained with no overlap. No disadvantage.

If there had been though, what would you have done about it?
Original post by N H
Yes the J198
My daughter is home educated and the on-line course offering the program covers Greece at a time she already has a class, we were given the option of joining the class on the Roman Empire this year and then studying Greece next year and wondered whether this would put her at a disadvantage.

That makes more sense. the syllabus for J198 as a 9-1 isnt online at the moment but I doubt its changed much.

They cover specific non related periods, so there would be no disadvantage imo.

Look through the old spec or wait till the new one is up.

https://ocr.org.uk/Images/68476-specification.pdf

Yes I said at the time it wasnt showing on the OCR site in the previous post. It wasnt showing at the time.

The spec has changed, but the position remains the same and the modules are independent. Read the spec and you can see for yourself. There is no disadvantage. From your description you dont have a choice in any event.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Yes I said at the time it wasnt showing on the OCR site in the previous post. It wasnt showing at the time.

The spec has changed, but the position remains the same and the modules are independent. Read the spec and you can see for yourself. There is no disadvantage. From your description you dont have a choice in any event.

Great. Thanks for replying to my post. Much appreciated.
Reply 7
Hello Sorry to jump on this thread but NH please would you tell me where I can find this course as my home ed dd has desperately been looking for a suitable online course.
Reply 8
Hello Could you share where my child can do online course please ? Been looking but dont have luck

Quick Reply

Latest