bad grades in freshman year for depression Watch

moumisayed
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I got bad grades in freshman year for depression. My mom who I love very much was in a different country and i was living alone with my dad. High school pressure, no friends and my mom not being there i was very unmotivated depressed. I want to go to oxbridge or an elite/top tier american university. My gcse grades are good. All A's and A* with 1 B. If my A levels and extracurricular plus social work is good. Do I have a chance? Do they really care about freshman year? Besides, I didn't go to any psychologist or anything so how do I show universities that i was depressed and that's why I got a bad grade.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by moumisayed)
I got bad grades in freshman year for depression. My mom who I love very much was in a different country and i was living alone with my dad. High school pressure, no friends and my mom not being there i was very unmotivated depressed. I want to go to oxbridge or an elite/top tier american university. My gcse grades are good. All A's and A* with 1 B. If my A levels and extracurricular plus social work is good. Do I have a chance? Do they really care about freshman year? Besides, I didn't go to any psychologist or anything so how do I show universities that i was depressed and that's why I got a bad grade.
Do you mean year 12/ as grades?
What grades did you get?

What will your predicted grades be?
Were you seeing the doctor for your depression?
Are you sitting international A levels IAL or CIE?
moumisayed
Rep:
?
No I mean year 10 grades most of them were c and d. I didn’t go to any doctors or counselor at school. I don’t know the predicted grades yet but they’ll be A and A*s. I’m sitting cie a levels. My depression wasn’t that bad or maybe it wasn’t depression at all maybe I was just sad and unmotivated from all the reasons stated. Or maybe I did. But I’m over it now when I realized I was ruining my future I patched up. Do you think if I get all a above at a levels and AS and I B in igcse. Do I have a chance in Oxbridge or a top tier American university?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
Report 11 months ago
No I mean year 10 grades most of them were c and d. I didn’t go to any doctors or counselor at school. I don’t know the predicted grades yet but they’ll be A and A*s. I’m sitting cie a levels. My depression wasn’t that bad or maybe it wasn’t depression at all maybe I was just sad and unmotivated from all the reasons stated. Or maybe I did. But I’m over it now when I realized I was ruining my future I patched up. Do you think if I get all a above at a levels and AS and I B in igcse. Do I have a chance in Oxbridge or a top tier American university?
International A levels are slightly different and education is slightly different from the UK education system.
When people do GCSE in the UK they do them in year 10 and 11 about age 15 and 16 respectively.

You say you have already done your GCSE so what you must be concerned about are exam results in A levels, which would be year 12 for the UK.

The normal way to get past poor results would be to wait until you have your final grades of AAA or higher then apply with known grades to your chosen unis either in clearing or the following year.

At the moment they are not going to be persuaded by C and D at AS, not do you seem to have enough medical evidence.

If I were in that position I would wait till I had the actual grades and apply the following year.

My only other concern is that international A levels work differently from UK A levels because yours consist of AS+A2 whereas UK A levels are linear which mean 100% of the marks are available and tested for at the end of year 13 or the second year of A levels.

Because your A levels are made up of AS + A2 and you have weak AS scores already, they will make it very difficult to reach the overall high scores needed, even if you do well in A2. To get the needed grades you might need to resit AS at the same time or in the following period.
moumisayed
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
International A levels are slightly different and education is slightly different from the UK education system.
When people do GCSE in the UK they do them in year 10 and 11 about age 15 and 16 respectively.

You say you have already done your GCSE so what you must be concerned about are exam results in A levels, which would be year 12 for the UK.

The normal way to get past poor results would be to wait until you have your final grades of AAA or higher then apply with known grades to your chosen unis either in clearing or the following year.

At the moment they are not going to be persuaded by C and D at AS, not do you seem to have enough medical evidence.

If I were in that position I would wait till I had the actual grades and apply the following year.

My only other concern is that international A levels work differently from UK A levels because yours consist of AS+A2 whereas UK A levels are linear which mean 100% of the marks are available and tested for at the end of year 13 or the second year of A levels.

Because your A levels are made up of AS + A2 and you have weak AS scores already, they will make it very difficult to reach the overall high scores needed, even if you do well in A2. To get the needed grades you might need to resit AS at the same time or in the following period.
Thank you so much for your reply but my AS results aren’t the bad ones. My freshman year( which is the first year for igcse) is bad. Not my AS levels. So, my igcse results aren’t bad either I got all A and A* with one B. I’m just asking since American universities look at all four years of high school and Oxbridge does too I think. So will they care if my grade 10 are bad with most C and D’s?
999tigger
Report 11 months ago
Thank you so much for your reply but my AS results aren’t the bad ones. My freshman year( which is the first year for igcse) is bad. Not my AS levels. So, my igcse results aren’t bad either I got all A and A* with one B. I’m just asking since American universities look at all four years of high school and Oxbridge does too I think. So will they care if my grade 10 are bad with most C and D’s?
Sorry cant answer fro American.
Oxbridge will only be interested in your final grade.
moumisayed
Rep:
?
grade 10 is bad not grade 11 finals where people take igcse
moumisayed
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Sorry cant answer fro American.
Oxbridge will only be interested in your final grade.
Thank you so much. If you have anyone who knows about the American systems please please tell them to help me clear it from here.

Again thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%